6 months post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean Counter

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Received the best Christmas present today at the 6 month post op mark. Did a stress test with the Cardiologist and and he removed all my running restrictions and gave me the blessing to resume marathon training.

It was a treat for the stress test crew as they have not seen a horse valve before...they were amazed at how closely it resembles the natural valve.

Congrats!
I am two weeks post op (AVR-Bovine23mm) and anxiously wait that clearance. I am feeling better each day and have all this time to spend on the internet looking at race calendars and wondering if I will be ready for a race in July or August.
Were you able to run before this and he just lifted the top end restriction?
Dave

Thanks for the kind comments.

Daveb-I was able to run prior to yesterday. His post-op guidance was that I could start running at the 6 week mark, but wanted me to keep things easy until the 6 month mark and keep my longest run capped at 10 miles (I hit that about 4 months post op). He did not specifically define easy for me, but I pretty much kept it at about 75% MHR.

Thanks Bean.

What have you noticed about your MHR? Is it similar to pre-surgery?
How long did it take your RHR to return to pre-surgery state or has it?

Have fun training!!
Dave

Daveb-I obtained my max HR in 2008 when I was on a stress test and basically maxed out the machine....it was the highest I had ever seen it (183). I have not even attempted to get it that high, but when I first started running again, I could get to 75% MHR by doing light jogging. I wondered if I had a new max HR as it seemed I could easily hit 183 just by doing a short sprint, but did not want to attempt that. For now, I am keeping my training zones consistent with my old ones. As far as RHR, I think it took about 5 weeks to bet below 50. When I was in peak marathon shape in 2009 (before this got worse), it would get to the low 40s.

drivetopless-That is one of the reasons the surgeon picked the horse valve. He took my running into consideration when selecting the tissue valve. He said this valve does not have a metal ring, so it can twist and turn with the heart while it is under stress. He indicated that the cow/ pig valves have a metal ring that may limit movement a little bit.

Received the best Christmas present today at the 6 month post op mark. Did a stress test with the Cardiologist and and he removed all my running restrictions and gave me the blessing to resume marathon training.

It was a treat for the stress test crew as they have not seen a horse valve before...they were amazed at how closely it resembles the natural valve.
So now are your strength references in horsepower eg Bean has a 1hp motor under his hood ....do you now get excited by fields of hay blowing in the breeze

CONGRATULATIONS and I for one get extemely jealous by those that can do these things

Latest posts

Back