6 Month Post-op Check-up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg~

I just finished my 6 month post-op visit with my cadio who told me everything looks great. He reviewed my echo done on the 25th and all of my numbers are really good. At one point during the conversation, he pointed the echo replaying on his PC and said "see, this looks good' as he was flipping between the screens as my echo played on. I kind of smiled and told him "I'm glad it looks good but honestly I have no idea if what I'm looking at is normal or not". His reaction was pretty interesting because he looked at me as if I should have known exactly what the echo was indicating and that my valve function was normal. I laughed and told him that if he was happy then I was happy:cool:. I just needed to know three things - ejection fraction, valve gradient, and if my ascending aorta has increased in diameter. To my delight, my ejection fraction increased to 48% (not amazing but better than before), my valve gradient is normal, and my ascending aorta diameter is normal.
Later that day I reflected on how this journey all began on February 16th of this year, when I entered the emergency room with shortness of breath. And as I thought about it I realized how close to death I had come. Because my severely stenotic BAV opening had reduced to 0.3 cm causing my shortness of breath. And that my surgeon stated if not treated, I only had about 2 months left. I also realized these symptoms had started to occur much earlier, probably 2 years prior. But like most people, I dismissed the earlier signs as getting old, or being out of shape, or being too sedentary.
Never again will I take my health lightly. I'm fully aware that I've been given a second chance and it's my responsibility to make every day, and every decision a healthy one. Otherwise, I'm foolishly wasting a gift I've been given. And we all know too well, our health is the most precious asset we have. I've continued with the low sodium, low fat diet and I still exercise everyday. My preop weight was 280lbs and my current weight is 225lbs as I shoot for my goal of 210lbs.
I'll be the first to admit that maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not easy. And that's because I love to eat - who doesn't? Before my surgery I ate everything, now I eat what I'm supposed to. I joke with all of my friends that my doctor told me if I stick something in my mouth and it tastes good, I'm supposed to spit it out because it's probably not good for me. But for me it's just been a lifestyle adjustment. Since giving up fast food, fried food, fatty food, candy, ice cream, and all of the other unhealthy crap I used to eat, I don't crave it anymore. I can now look at a piece of birthday cake and a bowl of ice cream and say "no thanks", without having to bite through my bottom lip to do it. I'm no saint, but I really do believe I've been given a second chance and I don't want to screw it up.
If you're reading this because you're getting ready for surgery, please know that you CAN do this. If you're scared that's normal. But please know, you will have some of the best professional experts in the room with you and all of us praying for you. You'll make it through, you'll survive, and your health will improve.

One last thing. I want to thank all of you for helping me through this journey (so far). I stumbled up this site when I was burning through the internet searching for information and answers about OHS. And finding you was the best gift the internet could have offered. You really helped me through the scariest part of the process, waiting for the day of surgery to arrive. THANK YOU, and may God truly bless each of you. :biggrin2:

Congratulations on a great check up and your new healthly lifestyle. You are a champion!

I just finished my 6 month post-op visit with my cadio who told me everything looks great. He reviewed my echo done on the 25th and all of my numbers are really good. At one point during the conversation, he pointed the echo replaying on his PC and said "see, this looks good' as he was flipping between the screens as my echo played on. I kind of smiled and told him "I'm glad it looks good but honestly I have no idea if what I'm looking at is normal or not". His reaction was pretty interesting because he looked at me as if I should have known exactly what the echo was indicating and that my valve function was normal. I laughed and told him that if he was happy then I was happy:cool:.. :biggrin2:

Congrats Greg on your good checkup and your positive attitude. I especially relate to your comment "I'm glad it looks good but honestly I have no idea if what I'm looking at is normal or not". I had my annual echo a few days ago and my cardios comment was "looks good and I'll see you in a year". Beyond "looks good", I really don't understand the numbers and I trust that he DOES understand the numbers....'cause he has been practicing cardiology as long as I have been living with my valve.....he is 79. I wish you many more powitive checkups.

Congrats Greg! You're doing much better than I am at avoiding all that tasty junk food. I'm gla to read that you are doing well. Keep up the good work. You set an excellent example for those who are facing surgery.

Tom

Latest posts

Back