5k RUN IN BRANSON, MO

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalmist

I just wanted to let everyone know that my one year echo went great and I am feeling good. My wife and I are running our first 5k friday night at 10pm (going to be cold) at Branson, Mo. I was curious if anyone had any advice. I also want to let Cooker, Ross and Karlynn know how much I appreciate all the encouragement and help over the last year! That goes for everyone else too! Wish us luck!

Congratulations and good luck!
Don't forget the 2009 valve replacement reunion is in St. Louis this March, and Springfield isn't that far of a drive if you decide to attend!;)

From one who has run hundreds, if this is your first, just hang back and enjoy it. Start at the back of the pack and take it out easy. The best advice for a newbie is: start slowly, then taper off because you will go faster than you expected to. The pull of the crowd almost forces it. It takes a lot of self control not to go out too fast. When you get to the finish, make it look good. Charge in the last 50-80 yards with a strong and steady stride. Someone will be taking your photo.

Most beginners fret too much about people looking down on them for being slow or looking less than real runnerish, but the exact opposite is true. When you cross the finish line everyone else knows what you just went through and regardless of pace, you share a common bond. No one there will see you as an invalid either. That crowd has no idea what your medical history is, much less cares. At that point the world is divided into finishers and non-finishers.

Good Luck Seth, congratulations on challenging yourself, I know it's been a long road for you.

You're going to love it. :) I was hooked after my first one. Now that I have run a couple races since my surgery, I want to run more of them to challenge myself. I have never run the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning but I'm thinking this year may be my first! :rolleyes:

Depending on how cold it will be, layer. I found for me that was running leggins, turtleneck long sleeved shirt, light weight cotton gloves, sweat band that covered my ears. You'll be cold at the start but you will warm up quickly. You can take the gloves off after you warm up and stuff in your waistband. We don't get too cold here in TX so no need to wear heavy sweatshirts. If the temp is under 40 degrees, add a lightweight sweatshirt to the turtleneck to take off when you get too warm, you can wrap it around your waist or do like most folks, if it's not a favorite, toss it.

If you have a running store in your area, call and ask them if they have local race schedules. You could check online as well, I found these RACES if you are interested. Some of the races are family friendly too.

I'm excited for you and I look forward to your post race report. Pics are always appreciated too. :D

Be cheering for you Seth,GO,GO,GO

All the best to you and yours!

Good Luck

zipper2 (DEB)

I"m ready!!!!

I"m ready!!!!

I am six hours away from the start of the race. :eek: Thanks for the encouragement! I will see about getting some pics. :D I am already getting butterflies!:p

Seth,

GOOD LUCK! Have fun in Branson. My parents have been there, but I have yet to get there...maybe someday ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ... & I approve this post
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'd try to run, but I don't think I can" ... Waylon Jennings ... 'Ain't Living Long Like This'

Made it!!!!

Made it!!!!

Well, We had lot's of fun and we finished the race!!! The hills were tough. There were approx 1405 runners/walkers. I came in 193rd. I was wishing I had a VR shirt to wear proudly!! Since this is only my first race I will have to get one for the next race. I finished in 29 17 for my time. Summorunner, You were absolutely right about wanting to run with the pack. I haven't ran a race since highschool but it sure got my competitive blood going. I wished that I was in better shape so I could give those guys a run for the money. Is it realistic for me to think that I could be competitive post VR? I know that I can get faster but I have realized that I don't have the mental edge I used to have. So it was good to feel the adrenaline again. I think that VR takes it out of you and gives you a mental wall you have to break through. Here's to tearing down the Wall!!!!

Congratulations....may I invite you to our get together, October 2009, Wineglass marathon - relay teams....meet other runners who have been through OHS....please think about it.....

Is it realistic for me to think that I could be competitive post VR? I know that I can get faster but I have realized that I don't have the mental edge I used to have. So it was good to feel the adrenaline again. I think that VR takes it out of you and gives you a mental wall you have to break through. Here's to tearing down the Wall!!!!

Yes, it's very realistic and doable. However, the competitve part may be just within yourself. I find it very interesting what you mention about the mental wall. After two years I still struggle with my mental toughness it's not like it used to bet. Mine might be an aging factor but it is still a struggle.

I was wishing I had a VR shirt to wear proudly!! Since this is only my first race I will have to get one for the next race.

I got a CardiacAthletes shirta few months ago. It has a huge red heart with a runner on it. I also used to have an Achilles Track Club tee shirt. It got too worn so I tossed it just recently. People don't usually recognize what Achilles is. The name doesn't tell you much but look it up here: http://www.achillestrackclub.org/

Is it realistic for me to think that I could be competitive post VR?

Yes and no. You can't compete with younger, undamaged athletes but you can compete with yourself (and us because you beat my best this year). So now 29:17 is your mark, try to better that next time out then again and again. Who cares what anyone else runs? Run for you.

The call of the pack is amazing isn't it? There's something truly primal about it that must be burned into our genes. When the crowd goes off you simply have to give chase.

Seth,
You've had quite a year and it's good to see you passing the one-year mark on such a triumphant note. It's great that you can both enjoy running together, too.
Best wishes for the next race!

Latest posts

Back