5 yrs and 20 Days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGeezerWNC

Until My wife wife found this site, so I can read and blabber to other folks in the same boat, I never though about anniversaries. It's now been 5 years Since Dr Oliver Binns of Asheville Thoracic, opened me up and did the quintuple bypass. He used the mammary vein and then the one from left leg and radial from the left arm. In the past couple of years I've had two heart attacks. The last 2 years ago. They considered the AVR but the "Risk Assessment" team said I'd never make it. So nope to the surgery. Now in the past 30 days, My family Doctor, Dr. Elizabeth Dixson decided to do an echo on my caridid in my neck. That lead to the Call to My Cardiologist, Dr Micheal Unks of Asheville Cardiology. After the check up with him he requested the echocardigraphy study of the heart. Ok then on to MRI. El YUCKO. We had that on the 23rd of Nov. I'm 6'1" and 320 pounds 56 inch chest. Have you seen the tunnel they stick you in? I had to put arms above me to fit. I spent 1hr and 15 mins three feet deep into the machine. SCARED. We left Mission Hospital and drove the 1hr home. After sitting for 15 minutes the phone rang. They wanted me back at the Hospital for more pictures that evening. Back to Asheville and into the hobbit hole for another hour. On the 30th like I posted in "Pre-Surgery" we went to meet the surgeon. Now I'm confined to my recliner on lite duty. Allowed to walk around the yard but not to carry anything. I'm now ready for this, the risk team says do it, the Cardiologist says do it, And the Surgeon Says NOW's the time. I've been light hearted and silly, but I want fixing. I want to be able to walk more than 50 feet without having to sit. I'm ready. So folks I may sound silly here sometimes but the past five years have been ruff. You folks understand, that's why I'm glad you are here. Grown kids and spouses sometimes get weary of asking how ya doing and actually hearing how you do feel. Thanks for listening and letting me get it off the chest....... uhhh wrong analogy. Thanks Hamsters! Rick

Rick --

You are so right about talking to family about heart matters. They love and care about us, but don't fully understand what we go through dealing with these problems. Not that it isn't hard on them too, but they don't have the same experience that we do. You have found the best place to talk to folks who really know what you are going through. The people on this forum are so caring and have so much knowledge about these heart things -- you have found just the right place to "blabber".

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery.

Hi Rick, Believe me, I know how you feel. I was sure ready, I wanted it over and done with. I was absolutely TERRIFIED though! I started reading this forum. I must have just read the posts for a couple of weeks. Then a few days before surgery I decided to join in and tell my story. I had never really thought I would get such a loving, and supportive response!! The same when I was in the hospital, with complications. My husband posted for me. The outpouring of concern, encouragement, and well wishing was truly awsome! You have DEFINITELY found the right place!

Please, do not hesitate to ask any questions, or "unload". That's what we are here for.

Mornin, Rick - sorry you have to get it done, but with 5 yrs of ruff-ness, might as well go ahead with it - specially since you don't have much choice. I know what you mean when yu say you can't walk far. no fun a'tall. keep us posted mon when so we can turn on the light for you. Just take it easy as they are telling you. blessins.........

Latest posts

Back