5 years Milestone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

This is a week late:redface2: but I celebrated the fifth anniversary of my valve replacement that was done on September 9, 2005. It was done by Dr. Albert Starr. He also did my original Tetrology of Fallot surgery in March of 1965.
I'm happy to say that all is going well for me. A recent echo showed a very satisfactory status.

I am so glad to hear from you and even better that you are doing so well. I remeberred you and Justin both were having your pulm valves replaced that same summer and how much it helped me to know about you. Thanks again for then and the update now

Hi George!! Yay! Congrats on the 5 years!

Apparently Dr. Starr is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Starr-Edwards valve. There is even a Facebook page with lots of stories and thanks to Dr. Starr.

Hope everything else is going well for you. And how is that Galaxie running?? :wink2:

Best wishes!

Marguerite

I have been to Dr. Starr's Facebook page, & shared the story of my 2 surgeries by Dr. Starr, 40 years apart. I heard from "RCB" Bob recently.I think he is planning to post something here on VR.org regarding the 50th anniversary of the Starr/Edwards valve.
I'm doing great in regards to my replacement pulmonary heart valve. No problems, really.I'm very thankful for that. Regarding my situation with Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy, however....not so good...........
I'm now in a wheelchair. Have been ever since I fell & broke my ankle 3 years ago. I wasn't able to use crutches during the recovery. By the time the cast came off, well...Atrophy & Dystrophy are a VERY bad combination! Despite months of physical therapy, I just couldn't get back on my feet & walk. I knew many years ago the time would eventually come, but it's been hard to accept. Fortunately, I had prepared my home for a wheelchair during a remodel a few years ago.
Marguerite, You asked about my 1963 Ford Galaxie. Actually, I sold it 4 years ago. I replaced it with a beautiful 1958 Chevy Biscayne 2 door. I'm really glad I had the chance to enjoy it for awhile. I loved it. I drove it occasionally, even after being wheelchair bound, using hand controls. I just didn't really have the strength to have fun doing it. Loading the wheelchair was truly a struggle for me. I had problems with scratching the car's paintjob!!! OH, NOOOOOOOO!!!! I really didn't like depending on others to load & unload it.
So......., I decided that the time had come to sell the old car, sadly.
Unfortunately, I had progressed to the point where a power wheelchair was needed to supplement my manual wheelchair, especially for going out & about. I'm very happy with the one I got, a Permobil C300, from Sweden. With a generous gift from my family, I also bought a new Dodge wheelchair van with a powered ramp. It's set up so that I can drive the van while sitting in the power wheelchair. I can automatically lock it in place where the driver's seat normally is. (It was removed) It's very much a "custom" rig....just not as "cool" as a sweet old Chevy Biscayne ;) I do like it, though! I can go places by myself. I'm not worn out from hassling with the manual wheelchair when I arrive. I can still function independently. That's what really matters. The old cars may be gone, but the memories of cruizin' in them ......priceless.

Regards,
George

Hello George,

I have been wondering how things have been going for you. Congratulations on 5 years. I am sorry that you are having to use a wheelchair. That fantastic that they were able to adapt a van for you so you could be independent going out. You sound like you have a great outlook on life.

I also had my last PVR 4 months ago. I am doing great.

Debbie

Hi George I wanted to wish you a happy 5th anniversary. It sounds like you have had a lot of problems and a wonderful philosophy on life. It is great that you can keep so positive. Good Luck.

Pat

Latest posts

Back