5-Weeks Post-Op Status

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim P

Hi Everyone,

I have now reached the 5-week point after AVR surgery (and 4 weeks since returning home from the hospital). Progress toward recovery has been remarkably good. I am feeling so much better than I did just 1-2 weeks ago. Even so, there are some days that are better and other days that are more discouraging. However, the trend is toward the better.

I discontinued the Percocet pain pills one week ago. I substituted Extra-Strength Tylenol for the Percocet and have only a little chest and back pain. More importantly, cutting out the Percocet finally relieved the (terrible) constipation problems I had before.

I am walking about 1½ - 2 miles per day (split between morning and afternoon), which is easy to do in the pleasant weather we have had recently in Florida.

I am still taking two meds prescribed by the cardiologist: Amiodarone (anti-arrhythmia), 200mg daily; and Lopressor (Beta-blocker), 25mg twice daily.

Concerns:
1. I have been steadily losing weight. So far, after 4 weeks, I have lost 20 pounds even though I am eating 3 square meals per day.

2. Big problems sleeping. Even though I am tired, I just cannot go to sleep at night, especially on my back. When I was taking the pain pills, I went immediately to sleep. Before surgery, I was one of those guys who fell asleep when my head hit the pillow and slept a full 8 hours. Now, I am averaging 3-4 hours sleep per night and no naps during the daytime. I find it most comfortable to sleep on my side on the living room sofa, with my back against the back of the sofa.

3. A high resting heart rate (about 90 - 100 bpm). Before surgery, I was never above a resting heart rate of 75 bpm.

4. Night sweats. I believe mine to be less than others on this site have described. However, it was never something I had a problem with before.

5. I have coughing attacks during or after every meal. I am still using my heart pillow, and it does not cause excess chest pain. I assume that my esophagus is not completely healed yet.

6. I have less energy than I would like and must pace myself daily to not over-exceed my current strength level.

I have thoroughly read most postings to the VR.com site for the past several months. It has given me strength and confidence to know that almost every OHS patient seems to have had similar concerns as I listed above during their recovery. Perhaps I just need to relax and let my body recover on its own.

However, I am most concerned that Amiodarone is a very strong medicine with some scary side effects, although I am taking a relatively low dosage. Many of my ?abnormalities? could be reactions to this medication. I already asked my cardiologist if I could stop taking it, and he wants me to continue for a few more weeks.

I wonder if any of you have stories to tell about Amiodarone, either positive or negative. If so, I would like to hear them, before I contact my cardiologist again.

I have set a goal of 3-4 months for when I should expect to feel close to ?normal? and 6 moths before becoming physically active again. I am trying to be patient, but I had hoped to feel a little better now than I do. My heart and chest feel good; it is just the other complications that are bothering me. Nonetheless, I am encouraged to be about halfway there (to the 3-month date).

Thank you again for the great encouragement and education you all provide to members of this site.

Glad to hear things are going well, Jim. My experience and yours sound quite similar.

I can't offer any insights on the Amiodarone as I didn't take it. As far as sleeping, I did "wean" myself off the the pain meds by taking the weak stuff during the day but taking something stronger (Tylonol 3 or Tylonol 1) before bed so I could sleep comfortably through the night. With respect to weight loss, I lost about 15 lbs (on a 150 lbs frame when soaking wet ;) ). I gained it all back by month 10.

All the best for a continued smooth recovery. Sounds like you're doing all the right things and have a great attitude.

Jim,
It's not too common to read that a member is continuing to lose weight after valve replacement. Most of us do, then the weight loss stabilizes, and before we know it, we're fighting weight gain. Your 25 pound loss seems like alot to me.
I don't think you should be surprised or unhappy that you don't feel as good as you expected you would at five weeks post-op. How you feel at three months might be a better benchmark but don't be surprised if it's not six months to a year. It is easy to get discouraged if you set your expectations too high.
You sound like you're doing really well, so just keep "keeping on" as Hensylee so aptly advises!:)

Hi Jim

I wouldn't worry about the weight loss.....I remember Tyce losing weight for the first 6-8 weeks even though he was up to eating well. He was also on amiodarone from 1 month prior to his surgery until November post op....6months. Our cardio weaned him off over a 2 month period and he hasn't had afib since----(from my lips.) Don't know what your cardio has in store, but I would ask him when you see him. Tyce also had night sweats for a good year post op. Personally, I guess you're right about where you should be. Tyce did have sleep problems 5 weeks post op, and mostly slept on his back or either side, but not for long. I don't remember any coughing attacks at all.

Hope it helps, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Ev

Hi Jim -

Regarding Amioderone, search that word specifically and read (or review) a fairly recent thread begun by Ruth; there were many comments by members about it. It stays in your body for quite some time after you quit taking it also.

I'm concerned about your esophagus and your coughing and your weight loss. I think you should talk to your doctors about these issues.

Overall, I think I felt dramatically better by about five months. I hope you will soon feel dramatically better also. Take care and post again.

Susan: Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the thread on Amiodarone, begun by Ruth about a month ago. That was exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to find. I must have missed this thread, because I was either in the hospital then or just recently returned home. I am not comfortable with this med and have made an appointment with my cardiologist for next Tuesday to talk about it. Plus I also need a clearance from him to start cardiac rehab at Florida Hospital.

Wayne: I fully understand your concern about losing too much weight and getting too thin. I am now at 143, which is less than I have weighed for 40 years! Most people tell me that the weight should stabilize and then start rising again.

Mary & Evelyn: I appreciate your encouraging words, especially realizing that my concerns are not that much different than other OHS patients have had in the past.

Adam: It sounds like you are about 1 month ahead of me, and you have had similar experiences along the way. I will watch your postings for signposts of what I can look forward to. I was not in the USMC but did spend 26 years in the USAF.

Jim,

Sounds like you are on a good course. I know that the surgeon prescribed me amiodarone post-op but then took me off of it pretty quickly -- within two weeks, I think. On the other hand, I am still taking Lopressor, a 25 MG pill twice a day, and don't quite know why it hasn't been reduced. Guess we are all different. I almost envy you the weight loss. I thought maybe a bonus of surgery would be weight loss, and then I found myself battling to control weight gain (excess fluid). But now I think I have it going in right direction.I agree with Mary and others that your weight most likely will return to normalcy in coming months. Hope you enjoy the cardiac rehab -- I found it very helpful, and even fun.

Cheers,

Jim -

Sounds like you are really doing great! My thoughts on your comments/questions....

First, my stepdown from the stronger pain pills to ExTylenol didn't work well so I called the surgeons office and they gave me some Tylenol 3 that I used just at bedtime (makes me loopy, go ahead I'm leaving myself open here :rolleyes:) but the ExTylenol was a waste of time for me.

1. Lose some weight for me, will ya? I'm at exactly where I was pre-surgery. I got 20 to lose before summer, starting to do that now.

2. Last night (week 9?) is the first night I fell asleep w/out sleeping and/or pain pills. Your experience is nearly IDENTICAL to mine. Ditto the couch, I would stick a little pillow between the back of the couch and the small of my back, heaven! I like to think of the 4 hours per night is because I'm healthier now...

3. I had all sorts of issues with heart rate & rhythm, mine was 110-120, after cardioversion is now 80.

4. None at all.

5. Nope, and that's a new one, I'd have your PCP take a peek.

6. Yes, pacing myself every day! It's great to have energy, too easy for me to overdo.

I was cardioverted on Tuesday and am still on the dreaded Amioderone 200 mg/day. When I see my cardio in 2 weeks I'm going to push to get off it. I was put on it at 3 weeks out when the EKG showed a-fib in a hope I would go to NSR on my own, which I didn't. I may need it for a little while though, even if it is very hateful, since I have an enlarged atrium, a repaired mitral valve and had a-fib w/ conversion. I haven't really heard much about aortic valve folk going on it, why? when? and most importantly when can you get off it?

BTW, I hate all drugs, don't want to be on any at all. I was on none B4 surgery, why now? Arrrgggghhh.

Best Regards,
Ruth

Latest posts

Back