5 months since surgery. New large lump at top of sternum.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron BAV

Had surgery October 6th 2010 to replace bicuspid aortic valve and repair aortic aneurysm.

This past weekend while on vacation I noticed my incision was itchy (normal) and then a lump at the top of my incision (Sunday). Returned Tuesday and saw a Dr. at a walk in clinic and he said it was likely a bone/tissue growth. I know a lump is common but usually much smaller than mine and consistent shortly after surgery. Mine is the diameter of a golf ball and was 2cm high two days ago and now around 3cm high.

Had ultrasound today (Thursday) and the technologist said it was fluid. I won't get in to see my surgeon or family doctor until the end of the month. Is this a concern and has anyone had this appear quickly so far after surgery?

I'd want to talk to the surgeon or his/her nurse about it. I'm still in the waiting room so I don't really know what to expect, but I would be weary of any symptoms that even come close to sounding like infection.

I have read a few posts about lumps esp at the top and most said that they faded with time but there were a few that ended up at a plastic surgeon as a precaution I would say to head to an ER if they dont have a satisfacory answer at Lennox & Addington try Kingston but do get it resolved

Since the tech saw fluid and you said it is something new and getting bigger, I would NOT wait to see your doctors. Did you request copies of the ECHO and the report be sent to your surgeon and/or cardiologist? I personally would call the surgeon, because chances are IF you go to your family doctor, they would just tell you to call the surgeon..Unless you think your family doctor could get you to see the surgeon quicker than you could on your own.
Is is sore or have you had any fevers? IF you can't get an earlier appt even when you tell them about the echo, I would go to the ER where you had the surgery that way when they call the heart docs it will be the ones that did your surgery and after care

Last edited:
Since the tech saw fluid and you said it is something new and getting bigger, I would NOT wait to see your doctors. Did you request copies of the ECHO and the report be sent to your surgeon and/or cardiologist? I personally would call the surgeon, because chances are IF you go to your family doctor, they would just tell you to call the surgeon..Unless you think your family doctor could get you to see the surgeon quicker than you could on your own.
Is is sore or have you had any fevers? IF you can't get an earlier appt even when you tell them about the echo, I would go to the ER where you had the surgery that way when they call the heart docs it will be the ones that did your surgery and after care

I would agree with Lyn and even to the oint of driving up to Ottawa Heart Institute or into Toronto's Munk clinic where they are more likely to have encountered this.....when you were rreleased was the incision fully healed ?

The top of my incision did give me trouble for several months afterwards, but it was just a case of the skin
not healing securely and it would split a bit.
Your lump is quite large, from your description, and I would want it properly diagnosed a.s.a.p.
Don't wait, make some phone calls, and make some NOISE. Best wishes.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've spoken with the nursing coordinator where I had my surgery and they advised to check for signs of infection (Fever) but otherwise I have to wait for the results on Monday/Tuesday. They said it is likely a result of the wires being bunched at the top of the sternum and this can cause irritation at times and the description didn't sound like an infection.
My surgeon's nurse was extremely helpful and I have a follow up appointment scheduled.
As for the cardiologist it wasn't deemed important enough by his secretary for a visit.....but based on prior experience they seem very reluctant to answer anything related to surgery so I doubt the appointment with the cardiologist would have been helpful.
As for the lump it isn't growing, the skin is normal and its just tight and tender from the fluid build up. I had another family Dr. we know take a peak but he wasn't concerned except if it showed signs of infection.

Back