4 weeks post op breathless feeling

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

Hello,

I am 4 weeks post op. I was able to do the spirometer perfectly well till the 3rd week. But from the past one week the weather has changed a lot and i have caught a mild cold. I feel i have phlegm in my lungs but no specific cough. but along with this my spirometer capacity has come down i.e i am not able to do it with the same leisure as i used to and also get a little breathless feeling at times. Has anyone faced this? also thanks to the cold weather i have horrible cramps when i wake up cause i have been sleeping in a flat straight position all night. can these camps pain cause the breathlessness?

I think you answered your own question Amy, when you said you have phlegm and pain from horrible cramps. If you don't have a cough, then the phlegm isn't going to go anywhere. But that's just my opinion. Maybe you should see your GP.

PS, An expectorant might help. You should be able to get this over the counter at the chemist. It breaks up the crap in your lungs, so you can cough it out. 'Senega and Ammonia' is popular here. Make sure you don't have a bacterial infection, in which case your doctor might prescribe an antibiotic.

If you have a sharp pain with inhalation, you should consider the possibility that you've got fluid build up in your lungs. It's a fairly common occurrence post-op and tends to exhibit its effects 6 weeks-3 months out.

I would definitely give my cardio or surgeon a call and let them decide what you need to do. As Duffey said, you may have some fluid build up that needs to be taken care of.

Duffeny- Thanks but when does it usually go? does it go by itself?

kfay- Thanks. :) i guess i will call his office today. :)

Latest posts

Back