4 months post up and good as new

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley White

Hey Everyone,

Just a story of encouragement for anyone in the waiting room that considers themselves an athlete. I have been involved in competetive athletics for basically my entire life. When I underwent my first AVR at the age of 17 I was scared that I would never be able to play any of my favorites sports (tennis, baseball, and table tennis) at the same level again. Well, my worrying was wasted -- I played high school tennis that spring and went on to play in college for two years before my valve started to leak and I was forced to stop. I took up softball after that and led our team to an intramural championship my senior year.

I have been playing in a softball league and a table tennis league since I graduated from college and started at Notre Dame for graduate work. I had my second AVR at the age of 23 on December 7th, 2006. Now just 4 months later, my softball team is 3-0, I went 4-4 today, played shortstop, and had the game winning hit. My table tennis ranking is higher than it has ever been and I am joining a USTA tennis league this summer. I feel like I am more fit that I have been in 3 years and really feel like I can do anything. I was really worried before my second AVR that playing any sport at a high level again was a lost cause. Once again those worries were completely unfounded.

I don't mean to brag, I just want to encourage anyone out there in the waiting room who loves competitive athletics. So for any athletes out there: AVR is not the end of the world, you can bounce back and still play at a high level -- even after two AVRs. The body's healing power is truly astounding.

Brad

Great post, Brad. Congratulations. I'm sure this will be very inspirational to those in the waiting room.

I wouldn't consider it bragging at all. I think it is exactly what a lot of others need to hear to believe they can do it too. I'm always a little apprehensive about posting my running fetes for the same reason.
Congratulations on your accomplishments and keep at it young man.:)

Awesome post, Brad :).

Now ... about the softball team ... you keep statistics for every game? I love statistics.... My Dad manages a city softball team and both he and I have statistics on the team going back the 25+ years he has been managing the team ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
my radio show:CD SHOWCASE.7p-11p central.Friday/April 6 = www.wrmn1410.com

WONDERFUL to hear this, Brad. I remember your first posts here on VR.com were so tentative about your situation (understandably so) and this latest testimony is fantastic.

Congratulations! Hope you have a great season! ENJOY!!

:D Marguerite

Brad, thank you for your post. This is a question that comes up so often. We ought to put your post in a special place for those who need encouragement about their ability to participate after surgery.

Regis would be proud of you. I am sure you know about Fr Hesberg. He used to come in to our office (in Miami) when he was in town, to visit my boss, who was a Notre Dame grad. Very nice man

Brad

What a credit you are and an inspiration to everyone on this site !

Congratulations and keep on winning !

Best Wishes

George Montgomery

Brad you are so right. The body is pretty amazing. I am so glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep up the good work!! I have 3 sons so this hits home with me.

Oh, you've got a lot more to achieve yet. Just last week I passed 30,000 lifetime miles running, more than half of those miles AFTER the valve replacement

This addresses one of my biggest fears! I have the bicuspid valve, and at 57, it is down to 1cm. I am meeting with a surgeon at Shands at UF either next week or the week after, but I am still symptom free.

Brad, I've been extremely active my whole life. Not being able to do stuff scares me to death. Right now, I ride a bike 100 to 150 miles a week, do some weight lifting a couple of days a week and play basketball at least once a week. I have curtailed the basketball until they get a better look at my aortic root, and I don't lift any really heavy weights.

How long will it take to get back to being able to do these things? I'm otherwise in good condition. 4 months sounds a little optimistic to me for intense aerobic workouts, but if I could start pushing myself a little harder and a littler harder, what is realistice?

Thanks, John

Great post Brad.It is posts like this that make VR so great.

I have played sport all my life and since I was diagnosed it has all been on hold.I hope I can play and run properly again someday and posts like this give me hope.

Thanks Brad and good luck with all your sports.

Paul

Shortstop -- very busy position! Glad to read your upbeat and encouraging post, Brad.

You Go Brad! You Helped Me Lots

You Go Brad! You Helped Me Lots

Brad, I just need to thank you for your past and present encouragement. You wrote to me several months back to relieve my worries about playing competitive tennis again. On May 2 I had AAA surgery for an ascending aortic aneurysm and now have two dacron grafts (ascending aorta and arch) done by Dr Joseph Bavaria at University of Pennsylvania Hospital. In 1988 I had my aortic valve replaced with a St Jude Valve which was still in excellent working order after 19 years and did not require re-replacement in my second OHS.. So here I am 4 months post op and like you, amazingly happy with recovery and looking forward to my best tennis season ever. I am still in cardiac rehab and loving it every minute . I am 55 years old and I know you are much younger so even older patients can recover fully and resume normal activities. I know you are not bragging and neither am I. I just want to encourage others not to be afraid. BTW, my aneurysm was beginning to dissect when they opened me up and it was 4.9 cm which was huge for a woman as petite as I am at 4 feet 11 and 97 lbs. It was other great people on this website who gave me the courage to push for aortic surgery at a major medical center when my local doctor in Florida suggested I wait.

Congrats

Congrats

Brad,

Well done...and a great post!

I believe your accomplishments entitle you to some bragging rights. Keep up the good work!

-Philip

Latest posts

Back