3Yrs old - and still ticking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey66

I can't believe it has been three years. Yes I still can sometimes hear that little tick in a quiet place. The funniest thing was a little 2nd grader I was teaching to fish and as he is standing next to me he says "hey, why are you ticking?" I had a good laugh and told him how blessed I was. That little tick is a great reminder of the blessing that my replaced valve is to me. I live a full active life and thanks to On-X I am now on reduced warfarin. So less worries about bleeding but still protected against clotting. Sometimes it is all surreal to think about the whole thing but overall I just feel very blessed!

Great to hear Joey. Looking forward to when my 3 months turns into three years, every week that goes by I'm still amazed that there's further improvement and I can actually feel it! I sat one day fiddling with my calculator killing time and decided to calculate how many times I would need my On-X to tick before it was my time. Came to something between two and three billion ticks!

Hi

a fun problem ...

almost_hectic;n860804 said:
... I sat one day fiddling with my calculator killing time and decided to calculate how many times I would need my On-X to tick before it was my time. Came to something between two and three billion ticks!

dunno, depends on your age, being around 50 I'd like to get another 20 years ... So assuming an average of 80beats per min, 60 min in an hour, 24 hours in a day and 365 days in a year over 20 years I get
bpm80
min in hour60
hour in day24
day in year365.25
Years20
beats in period841,536,000
unless I've made some obvious error that's about eight hundred and fourty one million beats.

If I do more exersize I may get that up higher, but doubling it may be a lot of hard work

joey66;n860797 said:
. ..........Sometimes it is all surreal to think about the whole thing !

Congratulations on your 3 years. I remember thinking if I got 20 years out of my valve I'd be very lucky even tho my docs told me it would last 50. In less than 2 years it will be 50 and there is no end in sight. My docs tell me that "sooner or later" my time will run out......but it won't be because the valve failed. I wish the same for you.

To Almost_Hectic....Yep, two to three billion tics is about right. Like you, I've done the math and I'm sure I've crossed the two billion mark......but the three billion will be a stretch

If I would have kept my 1st Jt. Jude at 18, using the 80 bpm average, I could have made 2.5 billion (assuming an average life expectancy of 78). Would've had to make 90 years old to hit 3 billion.

Maybe I'll get 1.8 billion out of the latest.

Congrats on 3 years. You're just getting started!

Congratulations joey66! That is awesome news -- and your positivity regarding the whole thing is positively inspiring. ;)

I'm almost at one full year now (anniversary is next month!) and I still have my days where I want to just punch life in the face, but at the end of the day I know I'm lucky just to be here to complain in the first place. And I'm looking forward to enjoying my holiday season twice as much as usual, to make up for how icky I felt this time last year. :)

Latest posts

Back