33 Years and Counting!!!!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John & Joann

Greetings Heart Valve Friends,

This Friday, December 10th, Joann (My wife of 46 years) will celebrate her 33rd year of 2 mechanical valves. Yes, that is a long time. There are certainly many people to thank, (some are no longer with us) for this quantity and reasonable quality of life.

As I think back to that eventful time in our life, the goal was to see our daughter graduate from high school. (4th grade at the time). The goal then changed to college graduation, and then to see her happily married. The new goal was to see the first grandchild, then of course to see all of the grandchildren. We are now watching them grow and are looking forward to their high school graduation.

Coumadin, atrial fib/flutter, crisis events, several medical errors, a minor stroke due to stiching of the old valves letting loose, clicking of the old Star-Edwards valves, vascular disease, bypass issues, and frustrations have all been part of the journey. The good news is that she has made the trip and is still living a quality life (Most of the time).

We depart for Florida in our RV on Dec. 28th. Our dog, cat, and the 2 of us for 3 months makes a lot of togetherness. We plan to work on rennovations of hurricane damage with various church groups around Arcadia, Port Charlotte, and Punta Gorda.

We both extend to you our very BEST WISHES that you can experience the quantity and quality of life that Joann has enjoyed. We thank Hank & Michelle, Rain, Greg, Ross, Al, and the Many Other Friends that have/will in the future, climb the mountain. The view on the other side of the hill is sometimes cloudy, stormy, and windy, but if you keep moving along, YOU CAN CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN TOO!

We Thank God every day for the gifts that we have been given and hope that we both can help others face the challege of valve surgery.

From the bottom of our heart, we wish you all a Happy and Joyous Holiday Season.

John & Joann

John & Joann said:
Greetings Heart Valve Friends,

This Friday, December 10th, Joann (My wife of 46 years) will celebrate her 33rd year of 2 mechanical valves. Yes, that is a long time.
Congratulations!! 33 years ago, on December 10, my mother was in hospital giving birth to me.... and if you ask her, she'll probably tell you Joann got the better deal!! :D (heh heh heh).

It's great to hear that with all the ups and downs, Joann is still going strong and I wish you both a wonderful time over the Christmas season - particularly as you are spending it in such a generous fashion.

All the best,
Anna : )

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

This is truly something to celebrate and soooooooooo inspirational for those of us about to walk down the mechanical valve path. And what wonderful souls you are to go help with the hurricane cleanup/rebuilding. I hope you enjoy another 33 years together. Hugs.

John and Joann,
What beautiful sentiments you express! Congratulations on thirty three years of living with your mechanical valve, but more importantly, Congratulations on thirty three years of living!
Mary

Congratulations to a true inspiration (and to the man that inspires her!!!).

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

That's great news! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experiences w/ the rest of the group.

I was down in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte a couple of weeks ago. There were quite a few houses still w/ blue tarps on the roofs. It seems the renovation effort has been quite slow and people will appreciate your help. Surprisingly, I found that there was not a lot of work going on. They are apparently having trouble getting the supplies to keep pace w/ the demand. Not to mention the lack of contractors.

Best of luck and safe journeys.

Jim

Your message was an inspiration to me, as I still struggle with some obstacles from valve repair surgery and pacer six months ago. How truly special that you have been together to reach these goals and deal with the bumps in the road. Even after the Maze procedure added, I am also left with Atrial Fib and Coumadin to name two. This group had been invaluable to me as a place to find understanding which enables me to show a more positive side to other friends who can only guess at our feelings. Important because I need friends and they want to see me "happy" whatever that means. Smile.

Please take care of yourselves as you travel, and keep your "helping" in limits that protect your well being. God does not expect us to be "all powerful".

A blessed holiday season to you and your family. Peace, Spring

Congratulations Joann..

Congratulations Joann..

Dearest John and Joann,
What a positive and inspirational note you've written in celebration of your lives..!

You leave me with a warm heart this evening while reading about your trials and tribulations of living with a mechanical valve for THIRTY-THREE years and how you've kept such a wonderful outlook on life.

Safe journey to Florida in your generous endeavor to help others. The Man upstairs is shining his smile on you both and I hope that'll continue for a long while as you two enjoy life and your family.

**You know you've always been my favorite two people on this website and that's going on six years now.

God bless you both....

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Congratulations Joann and John,

That is such wonderful news and such an inspiration to all of us! 33 years - how amazing and how truly blessed you are.

Thank you for sharing your story and helping those of us who are just now going through our surgeries. I can't imagine what the surgery was like 33 years ago.

God bless you both and best wishes for a Joyful Holiday Season!

Martha

Your are BOTH an inspiration!

Your are BOTH an inspiration!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and sentiments!

Joann and John,

Thanks so much for sharing your feelings and experiences. Your devotion to each other through this all is truly wonderful. Your success against the obstacles is a real inspiration to all of us out here in The Waiting Room.

Be well, live well, and may your days be many!

J and J

What a wonderful, inspirational post. You both deserve a wonderful life for another 30 years!!! Have a fantastic trip down south....you're doing much needed work down there.

Have a Joyous Christmas season.

Evelyn

Your post is a celebration of a long and beautiful life. It speaks volumes of the quality of love that exists.

My very best wishes for a wonderful holiday and "Snow Bird" trip to your second home.

Congratulations! It surely inspires hope to the rest of us that wrestle with life's ups and downs. I hope you have a wonderful winter and I just know Florida Sunshine will seem even brighter with the two of you there.

John & Joann:

I'm trying to dry my eyes after reading your post. How inspiring! God has certainly blessed both of you with an abundance of faith, healing and love.

May you have a wonderful time in Florida!

Congrats!

Congrats!

To the Both of You,

As has been said before, you are both an unbelieveable inspiration and scource of a positive attitude. Congratulations both on your continued journey through this bumpy road we call life!

The happiest of holidays,

Jay

congratulations!!!!!!

congratulations!!!!!!

hi john and joann,
what a beautifully written post, john. i could feel the love you have for one another as i read it.
wishing you another 33 years and then some...
have a safe trip to florida and a happy and healthy holiday.
be well,
sylvia

Congratulations Joann!! I?m so happy to hear you are doing well!

Congratulations Joann!! I?m so happy to hear you are doing well!

Wow... I still remember reading about Joann when I was so scared and freaked out that my life depended on this foreign object inside of me.... and that I was also dependant on rat poison, of all things. :rolleyes: It was so wonderful to hear Joann?s story here in the forum. And even greater to meet this fantastic person - in person! What a great lady!

She?s sure had a bumpy road.... it takes great strength to deal with all that she has. I have great respect and admiration for you, Joann.

Enjoy that Florida sunshine! :) If you get close to Greg?s house.... ya oughtta go rattle his tree!! :D

Anna, Happy Birthday Girlfriend!! My mama was giving birth to me the day before Joann's surgery..... ummmmm..... well.......okay.... plus almost 11 years. :D

Utmost congrats....

Utmost congrats....

Joanne,

I pray that each and every one of us can have our 33rd anniversary of our OHS and am floored by your active life you have had with the four surgeries.

With us living so close it is sad we have not yet gotten together, so please......

Check the phonebook for my Company and call there. Ask for me and they will give you a number to get in touch with me and I would love to take you to dinner for celebrating your anniversary!!!

(If by chance you do not remember my firm, just e-mail me through the site here and I will get in touch with you.)

God Bless,

Ben

Latest posts

Back