30 Day check up Last Fri ? about gout

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGeezerWNC

Hi folks.
Well I had the 30 day check up with Dr. Binns at Asheville Heart. I looked so pityfull walking into the lobby with my walker. But was feeling pretty good. The zipper scar has healed great. He said everything sounded great inside too. He's been my Surgeon for 8 yrs and he was proud of his work. First time he's listened to me with out the aortic barf sounds. Says the wound pump needs to stay on another 2-3 weeks. So I'm feeling pretty good.
So things are looking up.
I have a question for ya. I know they were concerned with kidney function in all of us. I have had bouts with gout a couple of times over the years nothing major. I was given a bunch of Planter's mix nuts at Christmas. Well I ate a bunch last week and felt the big toe and foot pain come on. I am pretty sure I remember the same thing happening last time I ate them. Too much rich protein for my blood. This happened late Friday eveningafter getting back from Asheville. I'm not too worried about the kidneys because I keep track of liquids in and out. Last night I got rid of over 1000 cc's and about 900 during the day. My Home Visitation Nurse comes in this afternoon to change the pump stuff and I'll tell her about it and let her contact the Doc if she thinks she needs to. Maybe I just need some lasix again to double down the liquids output. Anyone else have any problems like that or have any ideas? Thanks Rick

Rick if it only happens a couple times during the year, Colchicine or NSAIDS maybe all you need. I have gout attacks nearly every 3 weeks and I'm taking Allopurinol to help reduce the uric acid in my system, which will extend the time between attacks, then take Colchicine for breakthrough pain. Gout sucks without a doubt.

Lasix and other diuretics simply produce more uric acid, which can increase the attacks. I'm also on Lasix and about 4 other diuretics as well.

Hey!!

I also have had gout for over 15 years and I also take Allopurinol to control my uritic acid. In the last 15 years after taking allopurinol I think I have had only one gout attack, and that was because I didn't take it for a week. Drinking a far amount of fluids when taking allopurinol is a good idea to keep the kidneys flushed. I would recommend taking allopurinal, I can now eat anything I want, rich foods, sea food, mushrooms...etc with now problems. Not sure if this helps with you're post, but just my 2 cents worth.

Mac

Joe got gout also several times. He was on a heavy dose of diuretics.

They are concerned about kidney issues, and you need diuretics--what are you doing eating salty snacks like mixed nuts?? Probably should cut those out and have a snack that isn't salty. :)

I did some searches late last year regarding gout and home remedies. Black Cherry Concentrate (at GNC) really helped me get over the symptoms quickly. I mixed a couple of tablespoons into some iced tea and drank that everyday for several days. That really seemed to shorten the duration of the pain.

Latest posts

Back