3 Months Anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mah84

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Today is my 3 month Post-Op with AVR + MV Repair. Got back from India couple of weeks ago. Everything seems to be going pretty well and un-eventful till now. Had little issues in the first 5 weeks post-op due to hemorrhoids.
I am monitoring by INR every week using self-kit. It's off the limits most of the times. Doctors said it will get better. I am confident about it too.

I am vegetarian and I am not following any specific diet and eating even greens once or twice a week depending on my INR levels.

Welcome back Mahesh.

I'm scheduled for aortic valve replacement on June 21st. I'm planning to go with OnX mechanical valve.

Welcome back, Mahesh. I'm glad that things are working out well for you.

I'm not taking warfarin, but I do remember one thing I was taught during the short time I needed warfarin -- dose to your diet, don't diet to your dose. In other words, eat whatever your normal diet contains, then adjust your warfarin dosage to maintain your INR. My late mother did just that for the 10 years or so that she took warfarin, and it worked out just fine for her. I'm sure some of the other folks who are veteran warfarin patients will be along shortly to help explain all about it, but I just wanted to let you know that even if you choose a vegetarian diet, you should be fine with warfarin. Just monitor your INR and adjust your dosage for your target range when eating your normal diet.

Hi

glad to hear you're doing well

Mah84;n865456 said:
I am monitoring by INR every week using self-kit. It's off the limits most of the times. Doctors said it will get better. I am confident about it too.

what sort of "off limits" do you mean? If your INR is a bit under 2 its not too bad, and as long as its not much over 3.5 its not bad either ...

I am vegetarian and I am not following any specific diet and eating even greens once or twice a week depending on my INR levels.

I'm quite confident you can eat more greens if you want. In a recent "experiment" with Gym Guy here he ate 1kg of fresh spinach (juiced it) to see what it did to his INR ... not as much as we'd expected.

So, how much greens do you wish to eat?

Especially if you eat somewhat consistently it's fine.

Lastly, don't worry that your INR is up and down a bit after surgery. My experience is that such things destabilise your metabolism a bit and it will take 6 or more months to fall into being regular.

vivekd, Wish you all the best for your surgery. I am sorry I could not respond to your private message. there is some issue with replying to personal messages.
I hope your family will be here from India. First two weeks, its better to have someone take care of you like bathing, cooking.I am sure you will be able to cook by yourself after that but don't lift heavy appliances. practice meditation or yoga, breathing exercises if you haven't. It did really help me a lot.
it will definitely help you post surgery. and I am sure you are more knowledgable by now with this entire process. One good thing about On-X valve is that not much ticking sound, infact negligible.

Pellicle,
I am trying to keep my INR between 2.5-3. Most of the times its either close to 2 or above 3.5.
Thanks for the informatio. My Cardiologist said I can have Greens consistently and adjust the dosage of Coumadin.

Hi

Mah84;n865508 said:
Pellicle,
I am trying to keep my INR between 2.5-3. Most of the times its either close to 2 or above 3.5.. My Cardiologist said I can have Greens consistently and adjust the dosage of Coumadin.
Do not
Repeat do NOT adjust your dose frequently or significantly. If you do then your INR will be all over the place. Cardiologists may be smart with respect to anatomy of the heart, but with respect to INR management they are frequently ninnys!!

Do not vary your dose without sound reasons unless you want your INR to be a rollercoaster.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09/managing-my-inr.html

Latest posts

Back