2nd opinion from surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbeard

Hello all,

Brief update on my heart valve issue. Discovered in August 2013, after a terrible episode of "altitude sickness", that when I got home I needed to look into this. With that, and an echo later, then a TEE, then a CT scan, I had a bicuspid valve and enlarged aorta , between 4.2- 4.5.

This freaked us out so much. I am 58 years old, and I am an exercise stud(omg, did I just type that)??!

Fast forward . We took our diagnosis to Houston to dr. Michael Reardon at houston medical. He specializes in aorta and bicuspid valve replacement.

The doctors said I didn't need to do the surgery right now. My regurgitation is mild, and i accepted what they said.

I came back to my hometown, still feeling insecure about not having a second opinion from a surgeon.

Fast forward. I met with a wonderful thoracic surgeon today for a second opinion.

Number 1,

He is very skilled at the bicuspid valve replacement.

He would refer me in a minute to where he thinks I would need to go if I needed Aorta Valve Replacement surgery (valve sparing surgery...I have seen this elsewhere on this forum.).

Anyway, lastly,

I found someone that would talk to me. He listened. I had my list of very informed questions, and I also told him that I was on a heart valve forum.

He was positive and Inspiring.

Long and short of my appointment...I should enjoy my lifestyle right now.

But if I get insecure about these extra heartbeats and pounding heartbeats, call him personally.

Weird, I felt better today on my run.

would any of you that have had valve sparing surgery respond to to me at your convenience.

Can't help w/ ThaT, but waned to say i am very happy for you that you found a doctor you have faith it and believe he will take care of you. That is such a relief. Enjoy life
Lyn

Last edited:
Great news! Second opinion confirmed for you no need for surgery at this point in time
Take a deep breath and Carpe Dieme!
Hope others will chime in on the valve sparing surgery.
All the best,

Hi mbeard, I had aortic valve sparing root replacement surgery a few years ago. Had large aneurism, close to 60 mm at time of surgery, and severe regurgitation. What would you like to know?

Garserin, questions

Garserin, questions

Hi mbeard, I had aortic valve sparing root replacement surgery a few years ago. Had large aneurism, close to 60 mm at time of surgery, and severe regurgitation. What would you like to know?

What made you a candidate for this?is it experimental? Would you tell me where you did yours? Private message me. Your age? ( I am pushing it right)?!!

Hi,
I had a valve sparing aortic aneurysm repair this past May at age 52 at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. It is not experimental, in fact it was recommended by the Cardiologist and from what I can tell by the literature it is the current recommendation for those with a well functioning BAV (as I have). I'm not sure why you think you are pushing it, but for any procedure I recommend you go to a surgeon that has extensive experience with that procedure. My surgeon favored replacing the valve (w/ mechanical) but had no problem with my preference to spare it. He thinks there is a 50% chance it will fail and estimates it's life expectancy as comparable to that of a tissue valve (15 years +/-). The surgery went well and I'm feeling fine. My echo last week shows that I now have mild aortic valve regurgitation where before I had none, but overall my valve is still functioning well.

If you have questions feel free to ask here or to PM me.

With the size of your aneurysm I doubt you are a candidate for surgery yet, but you should be aware that many Dr's recommend avoiding extreme weight lifting or extreme activity with an aneurysm: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...se-and-stress-with-Aortic-Aneurysm&highlight=

What made you a candidate for this?is it experimental? Would you tell me where you did yours? Private message me. Your age? ( I am pushing it right)?!!

What made me a candidate for valve sparing surgery was the fact that other than the severe regurgitation, I had no issues with my aortic valve, no calcification or stenosis. The fact that it was a normal tricuspid aortic valve would have made no difference if the valve wouldn't have been in good shape. My surgeon was Dr. Suri at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

Overall I am very happy with the outcome of my surgery even though I still also have some left-over regurgitation. I do not expect to need surgery again but there is a chance for that, however it's lower than 50 percent for me.

By the way I was 62 at the time of surgery, my aneurism was almost 60 mm. It was at 47/49 mm for a number of years before it suddenly started taking off as far as size was concerned. Mayo had told me that once it reached 50 mm I should consider the surgery.

If you are a candidate for valve sparing, just make sure you go to a surgeon who has lots of experience. It's much more complex than a replacement. Even at a top center like Mayo I was not guaranteed a repair, Dr. Suri told me he would not know until he could take a close-up look during surgery if he would repair or replace.

I hope that I answered your questions.

If you are a candidate for valve sparing, just make sure you go to a surgeon who has lots of experience. It's much more complex than a replacement. Even at a top center like Mayo I was not guaranteed a repair, Dr. Suri told me he would not know until he could take a close-up look during surgery if he would repair or replace.
FYI, My surgeon also had me select a replacement valve in case he found during surgery that he could not spare it.

FYI, My surgeon also had me select a replacement valve in case he found during surgery that he could not spare it.

Mine did too. At that time I chose mechanical, main reason was I did not ever want to have OHS again. In hindsight, I have to say I imagined it to be far worse then it actually was and I am so happy my valve could be repaired. I was very scared before surgery and worried about the aneurism dissecting so I did not give valve choice as much thought as I probably should have.

Back