2nd OHS scheduled for April 19th 2021, at 67 yrs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
In 2006 or so at the age of 53, my GP discovered a heart murmur during a yearly medical. I was referred to a cardiologist and an acho revealed my bicuspid aortic valve and the beginning of stenosis.
By early January 2010, at the age of 56, an echo revealed the aortic valve had proceeded to severe stenosis and the cardiologist said it was time and referred me to a surgeon for evaluation. A Catscan confirmed severe aortic valve issue, enlarged heart and some mitral valve regurgitation as well. Cardiac angiogram revealed the arteries were in good shape and no needs for stent and such. At the time i was very physical, squash, running, cycling and felt i had no symptoms, so i was really pushing back on the need for surgery. I was also into the culmination and rollout of a very large multi year software project for a company of which i was a part owner. I had no time for sick leave or so i thought, as it would jeopardize the project.
By February the cardiologist threatened to remove my driving privileges to convince me it was time and from that time there was a quick progression to a May 17th 2010 surgery. A bio bovine aortic valve (Edwards), was my preference, but i ended up with a 21 mm SJM aortic porcine and a 28 mm Annuplasty ring on my Mitral valve. At my request, the surgeon agreed to make me a test subject on Kryptonite glue for the sternum, a godsend for quick rigidity in the bone structure and a very quick recovery.
In early May2010, i discovered this forum and felt so fortunate to have access to so much good information, on valve selection, pre-surgery and post surgery expectations. Ross the forum moderator of that period (he had a rough cardiac life) was so helpful and attentive in providing me valuable guidance, others from that period such as Bina were a
Had about 48 hours of icu, rough some but mostly sedated, was walking within 72 hours and felt ready for release by day 4. I was released on day 5, on coumadin for about 30 days and INR weekly hospital testing, staples removed and a totally smooth recovery. About 30 days to regaining driving privileges and within 60-90 days, only my scar served as a reminder of the OHS. I did develop a hernia on my one drainage hole at the bottom of the incisition, but i never bothered, had time to get it fixed.
I totally resumed living and work as normal with a baby aspirin added to my vitamin regime and other than the yearly GP visit and occasional cardiologist visit i forgot i had a heart prosthetic, 10 additional years of high quality of life, i was blessed.
In 2012 at the age of 58, i realized that developing and supporting software for banking would always remain high stress and that we had enough assets for a comfortable country lifestyle. i retired from income and became involved with charity work and interest groups.

fast forward to 2020 and a new chapter, to be continued

Ross the forum moderator of that period (he had a rough cardiac life) was so helpful
I had the pleasure of "meeting" Ross (via our online chats elsewhere) he was a good bloke.

Myself I shared a bit of that history (banking and software) working for GS. I was glad to get out of that and worked subsequentially for a University in Finland and then upon return to Australia and take up a position developing software for teaching purposes in a University.

The combination of COVID, nasty deeply flawed psycopathic management up at PVC level and a hectic last year in migrating everything to Docker Containers made my end of contract last year feel like a release from prison. I now enjoy the quiet life out in the country
49880330971_444725ee37_c.jpg

behaving normally for a young man with 3 OHS and on warfarin, working on my motorcycle and riding my electric scooter

I look forward to part 2 of your saga.

Enjoy life
Best Wishes

Last edited:
In January 2020, i had my annual physical with GP and at the end of the physical he mentioned it was time to see my Cardiologist.
Cardiologist meeting on March 3rd 2020, confirmed a murmur and he said an echo was to be scheduled.
Mid March,2 weeks later Covid pandemic hits my region hard (Spring break in early March and travel Europe and Florida) had imported Coronavirus big time.
Regional shutdown, Montreal is the Canadian Covid hotspot and 2+ months of shutdown on elective medical, creates a large backlog.
Echo finally scheduled for September 25th, echo attending cardiologist says whoa, severe aortic stenosis, am at .456 of The normal 1.0 Opening.
Meeting with cardiologist in November and immediate referral, also in November to a interventionist cardiologist for review.
Catscan scheduled and done on Dec 2nd, with pretreatment, as am Iodine allergic and Iodine required for imaging) (Prednisone pretreat)
Covid hits with another wave overwhelming medical and fast forward to mid January. I receive a call on January 15th that Catscan has revealed a 1 cm cyst on Pancreas that needs investigation as well with an MRI.
In February meeting scheduled with Cardiac surgeon, same surgeon that performed OHS in 2010, lucky me a very competent Dr. Lachapelle.
Should mention that although i live on a large property in countryside, am fortunate to be only 70 KM away from the premier McGill Royal Victoria cardiac teaching hospital In Montreal.
Surgeon reveals that my condition is too risky for TAV procedure, looks like probable aortic valve replacement as well as probable mitral valve replacement, as the mitral annuplasty should also be getting close to end of life. Furthemore my 21 mm aortic is too small for an eventual TAV procedure if a 3rd procedure is needed. The best solution may be mechanical Aortic and Mitral, to be determined at surgery. Furthermore, he suspects my biometrics would likely mean another bio if 23mm or larger could be fit, would likely give me 10 years or so, TAVI only if a 23mm or larger valve is in place, my current aortic is only 21mm and too small for a TAV insert.
March 25th was the pre-op meet with the team day, chest Xrays, Blood tests, instruction and prep day with the surgical team.
Not sure why but suspect it was stressed related, suddenly became very symptomatic with shortness of breath and a need for sleeping upright in lazyboy. Also broke out in a skin allergy/hives, unlucky me, shingles breakout at 4 locations including breast and incision areas. Lying prone would create shortness of breath and panic anxiety attacks. As of 2 weeks ago i doze more than i sleep.
April 6th, i had to go for a Covid test 48 hours before a Cardiac angiogram. Negative Covid, Iodine pretreatment, Angiogram done April 8th, arteries are ok, no obstructions, finally some good news.
Surgery Scheduled April 19th, another couple weeks of waiting room
As a by the side, Lucky me, i became age eligible March 26th for Covid vaccine and was able to get the 1st vaccine shot of Pfizer.

Can’t wait to get it done and be done with, truly hoping for another smooth recovery. In a normal no pandemic year, surgery would have likely happened in November/December, being non symptomatic would have been way easier for better quality of life. Short waiting room highly recommended when available

I had the pleasure of "meeting" Ross (via our online chats elsewhere) he was a good bloke.
Ross was a fabulous bloke, very outspoken and very forthright. From your posts Pellicle, you share many of Ross’s qualities as educator and contributor.

Myself I shared a bit of that history (banking and software) working for GS. I was glad to get out of that and worked subsequentially for a University in Finland and then upon return to Australia and take up a position developing software for teaching purposes in a University.

The combination of COVID, nasty deeply flawed psycopathic management up at PVC level and a hectic last year in migrating everything to Docker Containers made my end of contract last year feel like a release from prison. I now enjoy the quiet life out in the country

Software for business is a nasty high stress industry, after more than 30 years of software development in large and small companies, i was not sad to be done with it.

behaving normally for a young man with 3 OHS and on warfarin, working on my motorcycle and riding my electric scooter

Miata MX5 and country roads in summer has become a great diversion and getaway on nice summer evenings. It just came out of storage a few days ago and am hoping to be riding in late May.

Live the moment, i do not have a long expectation of life, but am hoping for another 10-15 years of quality life. Am very grateful already for the 2010 fix and the quality decade it bought me.
Life can be short, i feel fortunate that my bicuspid was discovered, was fixable and likely will be fixable once again, buying me good quality life and time, lucky me.

Hi

firstly, just be careful to not put your reply within the [tags] (bbcode is rather like well formed HTML

Live the moment, i do not have a long expectation of life, but am hoping for another 10-15 years of quality life. Am very grateful already for the 2010 fix and the quality decade it bought me.
Life can be short, i feel fortunate that my bicuspid was discovered, was fixable and likely will be fixable once again, buying me good quality life and time, lucky me.

life can indeed be short and death comes often un-announced. So my view is to do the best to live life today ... which means both the good and bad are all experiences.

we're all lucky if we see it that way ;-)

I have not driven an MX5 but have had a few convertibles (among them a 1964 Honda S600) ... almost enough to entice me away from motorcycling (of which I've had a few too)
some%2Bof%2Bmy%2Bbikes.png

any hints on the direction of the second series?

Hi

firstly, just be careful to not put your reply within the [tags] (bbcode is rather like well formed HTML

life can indeed be short and death comes often un-announced. So my view is to do the best to live life today ... which means both the good and bad are all experiences.

we're all lucky if we see it that way ;-)

any hints on the direction of the second series?

Yup, thanks for the tip on tags, ipad clumsy/lazy me some

Motorcycles were my 1st love, but nervous partner/wife made convertible an easier choice, + roof up on a sun becomes rain outing is way more civilized. Tshirt and shorts also way more comfortable in summer heat than leather gear required for motorcycle.Cycle accidents/ injury/ deaths on a major upswing up here in Canada.

My MX5 is a 2006, has 38K Km, winter indoor storage from November to mid April, it is my mistress and is pampered almost as much as my spouse of 40 years. Additionally my wife benefits from the mistress, i guess it is something like a threesome, minus the downsides....smile

Arteries and veins were not cooperating for the angiogram yesterday, many pokes to finally get through the vein for drip and the artery for catheter and finally, the smaller Ulmar artery did the job, but major bruising this time. I asked and interventionist showed me the catheters used, was amazed at the dimension and length, about a meter long, 2 catheters seemed equivalent in dimension to a 16 gauge and a 14 gauge electrical wire. Impressive and considering that TAV is only about 15 years old, Star Trek medical procedures just seem to be becoming more and more of a reality.
wrist will be black and blue for a few days, but clean arteries is a yippee, healthy eating pays off once again, both of my brothers had stents installed by my age and i have outlived my father because of medical advancements in cardiac care. Upcoming medical improvements offer much promise in future cardiac care.
63120218-1EA8-4A5E-AEFC-14A8A433FCB4.jpeg

In January 2020, i had my annual physical with GP and at the end of the physical he mentioned it was time to see my Cardiologist.
Cardiologist meeting on March 3rd 2020, confirmed a murmur and he said an echo was to be scheduled.
Mid March,2 weeks later Covid pandemic hits my region hard (Spring break in early March and travel Europe and Florida) had imported Coronavirus big time.
Regional shutdown, Montreal is the Canadian Covid hotspot and 2+ months of shutdown on elective medical, creates a large backlog.
Echo finally scheduled for September 25th, echo attending cardiologist says whoa, severe aortic stenosis, am at .456 of The normal 1.0 Opening.
Meeting with cardiologist in November and immediate referral, also in November to a interventionist cardiologist for review.
Catscan scheduled and done on Dec 2nd, with pretreatment, as am Iodine allergic and Iodine required for imaging) (Prednisone pretreat)
Covid hits with another wave overwhelming medical and fast forward to mid January. I receive a call on January 15th that Catscan has revealed a 1 cm cyst on Pancreas that needs investigation as well with an MRI.
In February meeting scheduled with Cardiac surgeon, same surgeon that performed OHS in 2010, lucky me a very competent Dr. Lachapelle.
Should mention that although i live on a large property in countryside, am fortunate to be only 70 KM away from the premier McGill Royal Victoria cardiac teaching hospital In Montreal.
Surgeon reveals that my condition is too risky for TAV procedure, looks like probable aortic valve replacement as well as probable mitral valve replacement, as the mitral annuplasty should also be getting close to end of life. Furthemore my 21 mm aortic is too small for an eventual TAV procedure if a 3rd procedure is needed. The best solution may be mechanical Aortic and Mitral, to be determined at surgery. Furthermore, he suspects my biometrics would likely mean another bio if 23mm or larger could be fit, would likely give me 10 years or so, TAVI only if a 23mm or larger valve is in place, my current aortic is only 21mm and too small for a TAV insert.
March 25th was the pre-op meet with the team day, chest Xrays, Blood tests, instruction and prep day with the surgical team.
Not sure why but suspect it was stressed related, suddenly became very symptomatic with shortness of breath and a need for sleeping upright in lazyboy. Also broke out in a skin allergy/hives, unlucky me, shingles breakout at 4 locations including breast and incision areas. Lying prone would create shortness of breath and panic anxiety attacks. As of 2 weeks ago i doze more than i sleep.
April 6th, i had to go for a Covid test 48 hours before a Cardiac angiogram. Negative Covid, Iodine pretreatment, Angiogram done April 8th, arteries are ok, no obstructions, finally some good news.
Surgery Scheduled April 19th, another couple weeks of waiting room
As a by the side, Lucky me, i became age eligible March 26th for Covid vaccine and was able to get the 1st vaccine shot of Pfizer.

Can’t wait to get it done and be done with, truly hoping for another smooth recovery. In a normal no pandemic year, surgery would have likely happened in November/December, being non symptomatic would have been way easier for better quality of life. Short waiting room highly recommended when available
You have a great attitude going into your procedure.

"Should mention that although i live on a large property in countryside, am fortunate to be only 70 KM away from the premier McGill Royal Victoria cardiac teaching hospital In Montreal."

To me, this is the ideal situation; country living, but close to a quality teaching hospital. I'm glad that you'll be having your procedure done at a top notch clinic.
Please keep us posted in this next part of your journey. Wishing for another quick and healthy recovery for you.

Motorcycles were my 1st love, but nervous partner/wife made convertible an easier choice, + roof up on a sun becomes rain outing is way more civilized. Tshirt and shorts also way more comfortable in summer heat than leather gear required for motorcycle. Cycle accidents/ injury/ deaths on a major upswing up here in Canada.

My MX5 is a 2006, has 38K Km, winter indoor storage from November to mid April, it is my mistress and is pampered almost as much as my spouse of 40 years. Additionally my wife benefits from the mistress, i guess it is something like a threesome, minus the downsides....smile
We sound like twins. I've had motorcycles since the age of 10. Still ride off-road trail, ATV, and street with my Suzuki V-Strom 1000.
I also bought a new 2010 MX5 and treat it like my V-Strom. Only goes out on nice days and stays covered with battery tender when not in use.
I originally bought it to stop riding as it is safer. I do prefer it over the bike, but can't bring myself to sell the bike. It is a 2004 and also still looks new.
Took the MX5 out yesterday for a nice drive during beautiful warm weather.
Here's a pic of my 3 main toys.
Hang in there and look forward to more rides thru the countryside.

Attachments

• 20190602_090840.jpg
    20190602_090840.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 106
For those familiar with the famous "Tail of the Dragon", this is me riding there (with my son) in the spring of 2019. Beautiful area.

Attachments

• 2586557_copy.jpg
    2586557_copy.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 107

49880330971_444725ee37_c.jpg

I look forward to part 2 of your saga.

Enjoy life
Best Wishes

Nice ride on the scooter on some nice roads. I think I still prefer motorcycles or ebikes. That looks a little sketchy in case of emergency avoidance maneuvers! Looked pretty fast too for that thing. What's the range? I have an ebike that goes up to 28mph and in Eco mode can go maybe 60 miles. It's a heavy bike but I can still pedal it too. Has nice hydraulic brakes as well. Ride on!

Wow, old men (relatively speaking), heart valves, copilots, MX-5s, motorcycles, I feel like I belong here. There may be hope for humanity yet. Will be going in shortly for a new knee (bone on bone hurts like **ll) so just about all of the mechanical toys are gone now (grandson and the terrier are still here though). But there's always hope for the future. Good luck to you all.
01.jpg
02.JPG
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.JPG

Wow, old men (relatively speaking), heart valves, copilots, MX-5s, motorcycles, I feel like I belong here. There may be hope for humanity yet. Will be going in shortly for a new knee (bone on bone hurts like **ll) so just about all of the mechanical toys are gone now (grandson and the terrier are still here though). But there's always hope for the future. Good luck to you all. View attachment 887739View attachment 887740View attachment 887742View attachment 887743View attachment 887744.
Wow. Great classic bikes and MX5's. The SR was the street version of the XT. Pretty rare. The XS was very popular until the inline three and then fours came out.
Depressing to hear that all of the mechanical toys are gone. Hope the knee gets fixed so you can acquire a new fun toy! Take care.

Eureka, surgery scheduled for Apr26th.
I cant help but compare the drawn out timing of this ohs, vs my 2010, with one big Covid sigh of delays.
As i am quite symptomatic now, very short of breath on any movement, cannot lay prone and get good sleep, i am so looking forward to ending the waiting room.
Was scheduled for Covid Vaccine 2 of Pfizer on Apr 22nd, but after speaking to many who have had the 2nd shot and a reaction, second shot now postponed until July.

Back