2nd OHS scheduled for April 19th 2021, at 67 yrs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eureka, surgery scheduled for Apr26th.
I cant help but compare the drawn out timing of this ohs, vs my 2010, with one big Covid sigh of delays.
As i am quite symptomatic now, very short of breath on any movement, cannot lay prone and get good sleep, i am so looking forward to ending the waiting room.
Was scheduled for Covid Vaccine 2 of Pfizer on Apr 22nd, but after speaking to many who have had the 2nd shot and a reaction, second shot now postponed until July.
That is great news! Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Thank you Ottagal,
good for you for getting more good mileage from your valve
Thanks! I am getting more mileage, but think the mileage is running out. I am back in 'severe' stenosis with this valve so it's a countdown. I need to place a post on my update with a few questions. :) I got the Pfizer over a week ago and second one delayed till August 3rd (allowing 4 months). I seem to be feeling fine "physically" so not in any rush to go back. I will have a difficult decision to make like you. All very best wishes and soon enough this will be in the rearview mirror!

Thanks! I am getting more mileage, but think the mileage is running out. I am back in 'severe' stenosis with this valve so it's a countdown. I need to place a post on my update with a few questions. :) I got the Pfizer over a week ago and second one delayed till August 3rd (allowing 4 months). I seem to be feeling fine "physically" so not in any rush to go back. I will have a difficult decision to make like you. All very best wishes and soon enough this will be in the rearview mirror!
[/Q1UOTE]1

Ottagal, I am definitely running late in getting this 2nd ohs replacement. I have become extremely short of breath, on the most minor exertions, like walking 10 ft or getting up from a sitting position. I have been dozing in chairs and am sleep deprived.
I do not recommend having the stenosis progress to the level am at, as the past 10 days have become hell and a poor quaity of life. I was admitted to the cardiac ward this afternoon in preparation for the Monday surgery, to undergo further tests, to be oxygenated and further monitored pre-surgery. I should be getting an echo tomorrow, last echo Sept 2020 was at .456 of 1. On valve opening. Tomorrows test should produce interesting results.

Woke up in the cardiac ward of hospital totally refreshed after a contiguous 8 hour sleep, wow it really has been weeks since i have felt so well rested.
A continuous small dose of oxygen for comfort solved the problem for sleep, speaking and motion.

Am at a new hospital in Montreal, very well designed.
The Staff has been very attentive and superb.

Early admittance has been a blessing, i have about 40 hours to go until surgery.

Woke up in the cardiac ward of hospital totally refreshed after a contiguous 8 hour sleep, wow it really has been weeks since i have felt so well rested.
A continuous small dose of oxygen for comfort solved the problem for sleep, speaking and motion.

Early admittance has been a blessing, i have about 40 hours to go until surgery.
That is great news! Please keep us posted. Our thoughts are with you!

Best of luck for the upcoming surgery, and a trouble free recovery.

Today is the Beginning day 5 post op and i may be released today, or tomorrow, yippee
i was awake and met my surgical team once wheeled in surgery, 10 experts, wow.
My Surgery took place late on Monday afternoon and my aortic porcine SJM was replaced with an Edwards Resilia, also 21 mm. The Mitral valve leakage was deemed minimal, so no fix required.
Woke up in ICU on tuesday, about 12 hours after surgery. Breathing tube was removed about midday (awake and aware this time and what a big relief that removal). Was given heavy pain meds to which i reacted violently, i guess i am not just allergic to morphine. Tylonol has been my only pain med since Tuesday and generally feel that pain management has not been an issue so far, everything feels tight and together.
i was sent to the cardiac ward icu about 24 hours after surgery.
On day 2 Wednesday 2 drains were removed in early morning, but 2 were retained as well as the pacemaker wires. 1st short walk and all is ok. Was sent to regular cardiac ward room where i have for 3 days now.
the final 2 drains and pacemaker wires, were removed yesterday midday (day 4).
it would seem so far that that my major obstacles were pre-surgery. I came into the hospital very sick.
Surgeon has confirmed that if ever a need again for aortic valve , the aortic insert via TAVI procedure should not be an issue. Because of my age and life expectations, Resilia was a very good choice for me.
If the next few weeks can be as smooth as the past week, it will simply be another memorable event.
The McGill University hospital, Royal Victorie, Dr. Lachapelle and team, have been outstanding, a better care could not be asked of. The new Glen Yards hospital is very well conceived with single patient rooms and a superb design.

life is good

Today is the Beginning day 5 post op and i may be released today, or tomorrow, yippee
i was awake and met my surgical team once wheeled in surgery, 10 experts, wow.
My Surgery took place late on Monday afternoon and my aortic porcine SJM was replaced with an Edwards Resilia, also 21 mm. The Mitral valve leakage was deemed minimal, so no fix required.
Woke up in ICU on tuesday, about 12 hours after surgery. Breathing tube was removed about midday (awake and aware this time and what a big relief that removal). Was given heavy pain meds to which i reacted violently, i guess i am not just allergic to morphine. Tylonol has been my only pain med since Tuesday and generally feel that pain management has not been an issue so far, everything feels tight and together.
i was sent to the cardiac ward icu about 24 hours after surgery.
On day 2 Wednesday 2 drains were removed in early morning, but 2 were retained as well as the pacemaker wires. 1st short walk and all is ok. Was sent to regular cardiac ward room where i have for 3 days now.
the final 2 drains and pacemaker wires, were removed yesterday midday (day 4).
it would seem so far that that my major obstacles were pre-surgery. I came into the hospital very sick.
Surgeon has confirmed that if ever a need again for aortic valve , the aortic insert via TAVI procedure should not be an issue. Because of my age and life expectations, Resilia was a very good choice for me.
If the next few weeks can be as smooth as the past week, it will simply be another memorable event.
The McGill University hospital, Royal Victorie, Dr. Lachapelle and team, have been outstanding, a better care could not be asked of. The new Glen Yards hospital is very well conceived with single patient rooms and a superb design.

life is good
Thanks for the report and good news, Luckyguy17!. Continued best wishes for a smooth and uneventful recovery. Onward and upward....You know the drill. Take good care.

Latest posts

Back