2010 Disneyland Half Marathon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tprice54

I made it out to LA for the race. Sunday morning was a good day for the run, 60 degrees and cloudy. Ran a 2:20 with some cramping issues (calf) due to the humidity and sweat loss. The first couple of miles ran through the parks (California Adventure and Disneyland) then out onto the streets of Anaheim (not very scenic). They had many, many high school cheering squads and bands on that part of the course, which helped a lot. Miles 9-10 were around the Anaheim Duck Pond (where the NHL Ducks play) and then into Angel's Stadium where we got to run around the warning track, and they had the camera for the Jumbotron on us as we ran! They had hundreds of boy scouts and their families in the stadium cheering for us! Finished in Downtown Disney.

However, the highlight of my trip west was visiting Edwards Lifesciences where my valve was made, and meeting the very people who made the valve in my chest! It was VERY emotional...and I gave them all my Disney finishers medals from over the years as a thank you, and they wore them proudly! Each had a picture taken with me, and they keep them to show off to others the people who have been saved by their work.

I've often wondered whether the people who work for these companies know how much of a difference their devices make. Many of us have not returned to an ordinary life because of AVR, we've been able to return to an extraordinary life.

Greeat result and great gesture, Tom. I have wondered same as Sumo - do people realize the difference they've made?

Some good thoughts there Sumo.
Tom, great race. I have friends here who love it so much they go back every year and I never hear anything bad about it, in spite of the large number of runners, something like 14000, and they don't even care much about their time. Now that's what makes for a successful race.

Sounds like a cool race, Tom. Glad you were able to be there ... and visit EL!

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I want to see the world before I die" ... Dan Seals ... 'Big Wheels In The Moonlight'

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Way to go Tom, awesome way to thank folks who make our heart valves.

You are ready for Harrisburg!

Latest posts

Back