2 years since my heart was bionically enhanced

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

Could not come up with a better title. ;)

What's there to say, 2 years and 1 day ago I was doing my taxes and putting finishing touches on some random emails and not sleeping while waiting for the morning of my surgery. I still remember the night before. The messages from many board members here, me reading them and not feeling alone in all this. I remember reading and re-reading everyone's responses to my threads with questions (here is a thread where we exchanged messages up until several hours before I went to the hospital - http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39822-Surgery-date-has-been-set-to-03-27-2012).

And, here we are 2 years later and while I remember all the little details, most of the time the surgery and recovery are like they never happened. I remember them in detail but it never crosses my mind unless I go there looking for them. 1 year ago I was feeling pretty similar (See this: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?41466-One-year-anniversary), but now I've confirmed that I recall the anticipation and good parts of recovery a lot more than anything else.

Well, this is it for now, and hope that someone thats about to have surgery or has one planned reads this and feels assured that they too will be ok and that all of this will be a distant memory.

Best,
GymGuy

PS Of course, I would not be the GymRat that I am if I did not share that at 1 year post surgery I was already almost back to my pre-surgery strength in my sport (http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...-almost-1-year-post-OHS-anniversary-3-23-2013)

PPS Where is @RTZDad, his valvaversary is about to happen too.

Last edited:
Way To Go! You've been an inspiration, even to "old" gym rats like me. Keep up the great work, and may you have so many more great years that you tire of counting them.

It's quite convenient that when someone asks something like "Will I be able to get back into some kind of shape after surgery?" we can just point to GymGuy as a shining example.

Happy two years my friend! I actually completely missed taking note of my anniversary. (April 3). I guess that is a good thing, right? I was having dinner last week with dpelz and didn't realize that I missed it until we started sharing our experiences. I try to check in on the site but I've had a lot going on lately. Happy to report that I am doing well and still going strong. I'm so glad to read that you are doing well too. I wouldn't expect anything less. You are still quite the inspiration.

Tom

Tom, this sort of thing will happen. I am glad you are doing well. Do stop in and post up, we have lots of success stories here but its always nice to read more.

Congratulations GymGuy and thanks for sharing your story on this forum! The posts of your hospital stay, the rapid recovery and training are super encouraging.

Congratulations and thanks for staying around. Posts from guys....and gals, who recover without missing a beat have to be very encouraging to folks who are in the "waiting room" with a lot of questions about life afterwards.

Latest posts

Back