2 Weeks Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilman

Just stopping in with a little update on my progress. I've been home for a week now and i'm getting a little more progress each day. It's pretty cold out side up north here so all my walks have been in the house or I get a little outside time while going to my appointments. I've been able to walk 4-5 times a day for a total of 90 mins each day for the past three days. Only did a hour my first 4 days home. Trying to keep my chin up and shoulders back, it's a work in progress.

I am finally dropping some of the meds today that a had came home with and in another week I will drop a couple more. I had trouble sleeping more than a couple hours at a time while in the hospital, it's getting better now, I think I went 7 straight hours last night, but not napping in the day, getting lots of rest tho. I can sleep a little on both my sides for a few days now, which reliefs all the back time. Hopefully the sleeping gets better with time.

I am eating well as my DW takes pretty good care of me in that department. I'm starting to eat a little moe then I was in the hospital, and that ok cause man did I drop some weight and muscle. My scar is healing fine, trying to give it lots of air so it can dry right up, hopefully.

At times I get a little frustrated with how long this takes, but I seem to forget everyone heals different and I'm no exception. This is no cake walk of an operation. So at this point I will just keep trudging forward.

Doug

From someone who is in the waiting room, you sound like you are doing pretty well! Keep up the great work! Must feel like it is slow going but you've come a long way already. Good luck!

HealthandHope

Yep, it sounds like your doing great - good for you!
Here in ToonTown it's darn right freezing (not just cold), so here's a tid-bit about going outside in this cold weather: breath through your nose when your outside, not through your mouth. This cold air will feel like your lungs are burning when taking air from the mouth and will make you cough and you don't want to cough if you don't have to.....ouch.

Keep up the good work and be good to yourself.

Hey, Doug; this all sounds very familiar! I lost a pile of weight too (30 lbs) which left me looking like a concentration camp survivor (169 pounds spread over 6"4", with no chest, shoulder or arm muscle detectable). I am back to 184 now, on the treadmill daily, and doing light weights to start rebuilding a little muscle. My meds list is pretty pared down now, too: metoprolol, 81 mg ASA and warfarin is the complete list. Getting off Lasix made a big difference in how I felt, which I wasn't expecting. Sounds to me like you're doing great. I really found that my progress seemed very slow for about the first 4-5 weeks, then seemed to really turn a corner and I have been improving exponentially over the past 2-3 weeks. Keep doing what you're doing and you will be rewarded before long!

Duffey, you very right, this is a small price to pay, and I am great full that I have solutions available to the heart problems I have, and people that have invested time learning how to return us to a better life.

Freddie, ya I find using the sinus a lot better when going out in the cold, oh well, I know with time and patience it will get better and with any luck it might go above freezing this holiday season and I will get outside a little more. Can't even use the malls in town as the traffic would be heavy the next three weeks.

Gerrychuck, I'm about down the 30 lbs too, look like I just came from a camp too, glad to hear its turning the corner for you now. I will be done the Lasix next Wed, so hopefully that makes a little change too. I also will be down to the same three meds you take. I am on a high dose of the metroprolol 150 mg a day to prevent any Afib as I have my first event last sept that needed a cardiovert. Hope with time we will cut that down as the heart realizes it doesn't have to work as had anymore. I'm glad to hear it get better anyways.

Doug

Latest posts

Back