2 Months after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley2000

Tomorrow will be 2 months after having my operation. They replaced my aortic valve with an On-x mechanical valve and repaired the mitral valve. This was done with minimally invasive surgery.

I went into this surgery with the knowledge that it was needed but not wanting to know allot of details. Major decision was mechanical or tissue valve. Once that decision was made I figured that I just had to show up and they would take care of the rest.

I had previously posted about time in the hospital so won't cover that again. It went very well without much pain or problems. When I woke up there were no breathing tubes down my throat so don't know anything about that. Most uncomfortable was the pulling out of the drain tubes.

I didn't realize the significance of minimally invasive surgery compared to the sternum splitting surgery until after coming home from the hospital. The doctors mentioned the benefits but until I read on this forum about the soreness and problems people experienced, I am glad I ended up at a hospital that had surgeons that did the minimally invasive surgery.

Once home I had to keep telling myself to take it easy. I wanted to get out and about within a week of being home. I climbed a tree and took down a tree stand 3 weeks after surgery. I rode the Harley to the Tomahawk Colorama 4 weeks after surgery. I graduated from Cardio Rehab 5 weeks after surgery. I have been cutting firewood with my chainsaw and carrying chunks of wood out to the truck.

I am trying to get my INR to get to where they can get to once a month testing. It has stayed down at the lower allowable range and they are slowly raising Warfarin amounts to get to mid-range.

Anyway, I am glad it is over and hope things keep going as well as they have up till now.

Mike

Thanks for this update. I am having minimally invasive (mini-sternotomy) surgery at the end of November and it is helpful to read about your experiences. Thanks.

Was yours a mini sternotomy?

No. I have a 4 inch long scar on my upper right chest. It starts just out from the armpit and runs above the nipple.

From what they told me afterward, they tied me up somehow in a position so they could work. My right bicep and upper arm was numb or tingly for weeks afterward.

They said that they collapsed the right lung to allow the heart to move into a better position.

I would think that by doing a mini-sternotomy and only separating a portion of the sternum, it will be a good way to go.

Mike

I was soppose to have the minimally invasive (right insision between the ribs) but the CT Scan the night before ruled that out so we agreed on the mini sternotomy and only if he used Kryptonite to glue my sternum back together. It will be 3 weeks on wednesday and i never felt my bones move. My chest feels pretty solid but they tell me not to force it.

Latest posts

Back