1st year Anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealR

Today marks exactlty one year, that the was the culmination of 12 weeks that changed my entire outlook on life. Within this period I experienced a broken tooth, that had to be extracted, with the tooth next to it. A sinus infection that would not go away. A trip to the ER for an anxiety attack, an angiogram, a sinus surgery AND a surgery to create a new tear duct in my left eye, ( I think they called it a Dachronomy) and the biggie, replacing both my aortic and mitral valves. I just turned 50, and felt like 51 was beyond my sights. Oh yes, I also donated two pints of blood in between this.

The most shocking part of all of this was, reading the agreement from the heart surgeon indicating the goal to simply " to prolong life". I never knew I was that bad off. All I had was a headache and a broken tooth.

Now, one year after, I played my very first game of soccer, over 1 and a half hours of running fron one end of the field to the other, without passing out. Other than embarrasing my teammates, I think I did pretty good! Not bad...

The incision is all but gone, the fogginess is seldom there, the energy level is through the roof. I can run faster, jump higher, push harder than I could since I was a teenager.

And I feel as if I am still healing. I made it...and have more to go. No matter what happens, those telling words I read in the surgeons office now have a profound impact on me. Life has indeed, been prolonged! I am grateful for every day, and for those reading these words, who may be in a similar situation,,,I wish every one of the you the best....I f I can make it...so can you.

Happy Valversary!

Happy Valversary!

Neil,
What a great upbeat thread. Happy first! That is a biggie. Hope you are doing something special and wishing you many more years of great health.

Back