19 year old College Athlete, Post op Valve Repair Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjrlax69

Hello I am new to this forum and I think I could possibly hold a record for being one of the youngest members Lol. A little information about myself first, I am an active 19 year old college lacrosse player who required a mitral valve repair after expierencing palpitations during extreme physical exertion. I had the surgery almost 4 weeks ago at NYU medical center by Doctor Loulmet. Going through that operation was by far the hardest and most draining challenge I have faced in my life, and to make matters worse I had to withdraw a college semester and miss my lacrosse season!

Anyway my question is, do the chest muscles that were severed during the sternotomy eventually return back to normal? As in will I be able to lift weights and form a strong chest like I once had? I know this may sound dumb to worry about but weight lifting is a part of my life. -Thank you

Sjrlax69, Hi, Although you may be one of our youngest members right now, many of us had surgery at your age and younger. I had my first surgery at 17, when I was a senior in high school. To answer your question, yes, your chest will heal and you will be able to start lifting weights again. I don't know how your surgeon will feel about you playing a contact sport like lacrosse, but I'm assuming you've had that discussion with him and if you haven't, you need to before you start playing again.

Be patient and just know that your body has been through a major trauma. It is going to take some time to heal. But, you are young and you'll be up and running before you know it. Check out the active lifestyles forum on here to see what some members have done after heart surgery for reassurance.

Kim

Wishing you a speedy recovery !! I would ask your Cardiologist, the questions you have in regards to when you can resume weight lifting and playing lacrosse, as he is the doctor who will be handling your case, long-term. Your concern about weight lifting and sports does not sound "dumb", these are activities that bring enjoyment, fitness and a sense of accomplishment to your life.... they are part of who you are. Best of Luck...
Renee

Hi and glad to see you've joined us

I'm confident you'll be able to resume weight lifting and lacrosse, but your surgeon should be your guide for when that time is.

You might check out www.cardiacathletes.com for further help. A fair number of VR members are also members of that site.

How are you feeling a month out from your repair?

Sjrlax69, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you are getting the information that you are seeking and are comfortable with your valve choice, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

I had the full sternotomy too and was cleared to get back in the weight room at the magical 12 week point when the sternum had healed - I'd lost about 20% strength overall but maybe a bit more from bench press - two months of 2-3x a week back to weights and I've almost got bench press to where it was six months ago.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. To Duffey, I feel pretty good post op. One of my nurses in the hospital explained that my recovery would be like a marathon, full of ups and downs. She was right, I am certainly sore some days worse then others. I also got diagnosed with Dressler's syndrome which has caused me an extra amount of pain espeacially with breathing and sleeping. Overall the amount I have recoverd since the first week is astounding.

Kfay- Thank you for your post, since it was a valve repair not replacement I am aloud to return back to lacrosse and all other extreme activities. In fact I actually have an appointment with my surgeon today.

Ski Girl- Thank you for your post it reassured me that i can recover back to normal.

As Duffey suggested. feel free to stop over to cardiac athletes...you should have every expectation to get back to lifting and lax. Keep your cardio in the loop on your progress AND your expectations!
OH, and being from the Syracuse area, I am somewhat familiar with your sport! :)

Thank you tprice, I am now walking around 2 miles a day and feel very good soon I will be cleared to lift weights again!

Welcome to this family, Sjrlax69 !!!! Everyone heals at a different rate. I think you should discuss this with your Cardiologist and your surgeon,,,,, they have the answers, as to what restrictions you may have and the healing time......so follow their guideline exactly. You have alot of advantages, your young, healthy/in shape.......relax, you will soon be back , even BETTER than your old self . Cheer Up !!!

Renee
PS..I look forward to seeing you in the Olympics, weight lifting :)

I love Lax! Awesome sport! I am 36 and from Chicago. Unfortunately, when I was growing up we didn't have Lax in the Chicago Area. It was not until I went away to prep school in Mass to play hockey that I discovered Lax for the first time. Lax was my spring sport and I fell in love with it. My senior year I nearly set the school's single season record for groundballs. Came up 3 grounders short with 2 games rained out and never made up. Now it's kind of frustrating because Lax has taken off in the Chicago area and many of the high schools have teams and there are some club teams too. I wish I could have played when I was a kid!

I don't have an answer to your question about lifting weights. My personal goal is to be able to return to playing hockey after my valve replacement surgery. Right now the Cardiologist is forbidding it. I found a You Tube Video on Teppo Numminen. He was a very good NHL Hockey Player who had his valve replaced at age 37 and returned to play a full season in the NHL. Hockey is just as physical as Lax so there's hope for all of us that want to return to playing contact sports! Also, Sam Maresh returned to play College Football. Rony Turiaf is the starting center for the New York Knicks and Etan Thomas returned to play in the NBA. Best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Back