16 years...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesMom

Hi all,

I'm not a frequent poster but just wanted to say I celebrated my 16th year with my valve on February 1st. YAY!!!!! Wishing everyone else the same success and longevity with their own valves.

Cheers!

16 Years? I'm not sure if I can remember that far back. Wait a minute. . . I wasn't a member here then.

Heck, anyway, that IS an accomplishment - one to be celebrated. When's the party?

Congratulations to you!

That is awesome! What kind of valve and where did you have it done - if I may ask. I'm in the throes of deciding tissue vs mechanical and am in the middle age group 50 - 60 where the opinions vary widely.

Thanks everyone for the nice congrats. Yeah, seems like a LONG time ago. It was my second OHS - first was a repair done when I was about 19 or 20 years old. As much as I'd like to avoid a third go round, I may be in for it since I've developed an aneurysm in the ascending aorta that was last measured at 4.5 cm. I've recently tempted fate with lots of shoveling (my cardio would NOT be pleased) but hopefully this year's CT scan will be stable. As I keep saying, I never want to hear the word "surgery" again unless it's preceded by the word "plastic" : )

gregjohnsondsm - I got a mechanical valve since I was 42 at the time and wanted longevity. Coumadin therapy has caused me no problems or limitations so don't let that scare you. However, I think they have made great improvements in the longevity of tissue valves so good luck with your decision. It's not easy.

Take care everyone. Cheers!

Hey There :)

DavesMom;n852483 said:
As much as I'd like to avoid a third go round, I may be in for it since I've developed an aneurysm in the ascending aorta that was last measured at 4.5 cm. I've recently tempted fate with lots of shoveling (my cardio would NOT be pleased) but hopefully this year's CT scan will be stable.

bugger ... at least when my A was found my homograft was failing (it lasted 20 years, so I was really lucky there) and I had a 2 for 1 deal on the table.

As I keep saying, I never want to hear the word "surgery" again unless it's preceded by the word "plastic" : )

nah, don't do that! Has more bad outcomes than OHS! You'd think after the world watching M Jackson we'd all be turned off that.

When I'm old and wrinkly (some people suggest when is redundant there) I'm gonna be proud of every bit of tatty looking ... We are all born young, I fought for being old.

Hey Pellicle,

Nah...wasn't serious about the plastic surgery. Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers turned me off that idea long ago. : )

Actually, I had an aneurysm repaired along with my valve replacement so this is aneurysm numero dos. In 2009 it was 4.3 cm and in 2012 it measured 4.5 cm. However, last couple of years the report from the CT scan has only said the aorta is "stable." When I pressed my cardio for a specific measurement last year the radiologist took a second look and came back with a measurement of 2.5 c.m. HUH? Seems impossible to me but I think the radiologist simply didn't have a good view of it.

Anyway, "stable" is a good word but this year I'm going to mention this when they do the CT to make sure they get a good view of it. Also have aneurysms in three of the great vessels. Such fun. : ) Take care.

Back