16 week update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi All,

Just a quick post. Yes I do like the new site. That being said, I just want to let everyone who was there for me know that everything is going great. Believe it or not the numbness in my pinky finger is almost gone, no more pain...thank god, that realy sucked. Started doing pushups, chest still a bit tender, but not to bad. Wasn't even sure how long it has been, had to ask the wife.
Doing everything at work as I did before, plumbing,heavy lifting, carpentry....whatever.....no problem. So for you new people, you will be back to normal in no time.
Sorry I havn't been here much....no excuse's. Everyone helped me so much I will do my best to jump back in and offer support to newbies. I will never forget how inportant this web site was to me.

Later,
Mac, from the sunny shores of Lake Superior
AVR, single by-pass, 11/19/09. Carbomedics mechanical, Dr. Suri, Mayo Clinic

Last edited:
Mac its great to hear you are doing so good. I am one of the newbies 5 days post op. I hope that in 16 weeks I am back to normal. Can you let me know timeframes for everyday activities. I know everyone is different but just something to look forward to.

My surgeon said no pushups or pullups for 6 months, and he's not particularly conservative. He follows the relatively standard 6 week sternal precautions and some weight lifting limits after that for 6 months, and made specifiuc mention of pushups and pullups. Did you get the OK to do the pushups? Anway, thought I'd raise that as you mentioned some tenderness.

pushups

pushups

My surgeon said no pushups or pullups for 6 months, and he's not particularly conservative. He follows the relatively standard 6 week sternal precautions and some weight lifting limits after that for 6 months, and made specifiuc mention of pushups and pullups. Did you get the OK to do the pushups? Anway, thought I'd raise that as you mentioned some tenderness.

My rehab people said 12 to 16 weeks for push up and kettle bells. Yes alittle tender, but no sense of damaging something. Hell, I've been throughing around 70 lb bags of salt like no big deal, strength is coming back fast.

Welcome to the otherside!

Welcome to the otherside!

Mac its great to hear you are doing so good. I am one of the newbies 5 days post op. I hope that in 16 weeks I am back to normal. Can you let me know timeframes for everyday activities. I know everyone is different but just something to look forward to.

Strength will come back fast. Do your walking, don't be content to be waited on. It was a good thing that my wife had to work so I was at home along and managed cooking, dishes, whatever right away. Did the standard two hands opening doors and etc, but will admit I cheated serveral times on the 10lb limit for 8 weeks. Within two weeks I was biking 9 miles a day and walking 20 plus blocks. Your sternum needs time to heal, you can't rush this process. And everyone heals diff. some people can't tie thier shoes for a month, some people in two weeks. I remember a post I made about chest bumping during a Packer game at 4 weeks post op. Not the smartest move, but got caught up with the game.
Today, other than some slight sorness in my pecs I feel as though I could do anything.
Remember, your body will tell you if you are doing to much, but don't be afried to try.

Mac

Latest posts

Back