15 Weeks Post - Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanoeBob

Hi Everyone,

New to the group, found the site three weeks ago, now wishing I had of found it sooner as I can see it would have helped alot over the months. Piggy valve, Bental Proceedure on Nov 26th 2010, havn't really experienced anything dramatic that wasn't listed as par for the course, pre-op or post op. Biggest issue has been post op depression, perscribed citalopram, life is more managable since starting that the end of January. Currently in Cardio Rehab program-supervised exercise and education seminars for 6 mths. Have been physically active walking since Hospital (sometimes overdoing it, oops) but I'm noticing a pattern of able to do things one day, and not feeling like doing things the next. Cardio Rehab tells me to keep heart rate below 116 bpm which I can monitor easily with my bicycle gadjet and during the exercise periods on my own I keep it below 110. Not riding my bicycle yet, just walking and keeping weight lifts to 20-25 lbs. Not much of the weight lifting stuff - grocery bags etc... My walking distance on "good"days is 10,000 steps on "bad" days it's pushing it getting to 5000 and quite lethargic to boot. I attend cardio classes Tues and Thurs and try to get something in walking in everyday. I'm hoping this improves and everyone has their own improving rate. So far, thats been the most challenging part of this recovery- it's darn slow!!!

Hey Bob, it's week 3 for me and I'm still itchy from the chest hair growing back! Glad you found this forum, it is filled with some wonderful people and there is more information here than you could filter in two lifetimes.

Welcome, Bob. Glad you found us. I know what you mean about slow recovery. I had visions of breaking all sorts of records in healing--the spirit is willing, but the body does what it wants. :)
I, too, have the every other day syndrome. I feel really energetic/great followed by the I need a nap days.

Welcome, CanoeBob,

I, too, am at almost the three week point after surgery. Things have been a bit rougher than I dreamed, but I think I'll be able to catch up with the class before the mid-term exam. . .

Glad you're out there a bit ahead of us. Knock down some of the bumps, will you?

GEES how did another Canuck sneak by me WELCOME and we will have to meet up at Timmies but I can only drink ONE
images

I am 3 months post surgery and understand how you are feeling. Some days I feel great and the next day I am sore and extremely tired. Never sure how much to push myself as far as exercise goes. I'm hoping things get better soon.

Thanks for all your welcoming replys. This week is much better, back out on my bicycle, the doctors are happy with my med levels in the beta blocker - stay at 12.5 atenenol from cardiologist and surgeon, my Gp wants me at 25. Majority and specialty rules. At 25mg I didn't feel like doin nuttin. Got in a 30km ride on the road bike yesterday, 20 km the day before on the hybrid-some plene air watercolour painting by the river too. The road bike is my favourite for training but I would like to stress I'm NOT a dedicated fittness type with aspirations of marathons and the like. Maybe a 100 K road bike run later this summer just being glad to finish; LAST! lol

Bob

Latest posts

Back