13 months post op and now problems

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

I had my aortic valve replaced at Cleveland Clinic on 6/5/2013. I've recovered from that with a few glitches. It looks like at this point I will be told on Friday that I need to have surgery on a carotid artery for about 60% blockage due to plaque buildup. I don't know how many more if these deals I can handle. I'm a cancer survivor out 11 years now and am grateful for the man upstairs taking care of me.

Is this surgery a lot worse than the aortic replacement and have any of you went through it before? Appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Grateful for your support!

I'm afraid I don't know about surgery on a carotid artery, but I'm hoping it won't be so bad. At least they won't have to saw through any bones and the recovery shouldn't take so long.

Best wishes, and I'll have my fingers crossed they won't have to do surgery. :)

Hi

I... It looks like at this point I will be told on Friday that I need to have surgery on a carotid artery for about 60% blockage due to plaque buildup.

these things are indeed sent to try us aren't they. I'm guessing that the blockage is not related to the surgery. I've got a blocked brachial vein most likely from the last surgery, most likely from the main line insertion. I'm told "it happens".

We've not planned surgery for that ...

Appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Grateful for your support!

Well my feeling is that it probably won't be anywhere near as much difficulty as your OHS, so really its just a walk in the park compared to the hikes you've already done. I hope that you're home from hospital as soon as possible and just looking at this "in the rear view mirror".

Best Wishes

My father had a blockage in his carotid artery and I don't know if they used a stent or a bypass, but either way he was in and out and back to normal quickly.

Best of luck with the surgery , I would imagine it'll be easier than OHS and as they told me when my aneurysm was discovered "it's good they found it when they did ". I don't know if a cardiac cath would see the area where your blockage is but my surgeon insisted I have one done before he does my OHS.

I'm laying in the hospital bed typing this. My surgery was 9 hours earlier and the brunt is just now starting to hit me. My carotid artery was actually 90%+ blocked. They took me in for almost emergency surgery today after the Dr. Saw the MRI. Surgery was successful and the Dr. Said to my wife I now have the carotid artery of a 20 year old. The crazy thing is they ran a lipid panel on me while drawing blood and my LDL was 50. I've been on Lipitor 10 mg for 15 years and how could I get plugged with such a low reading? Anyway, I dodged another bullet. Hope to get feeling better.

Hi there, I'm sorry things moved so fast! I hope you will be feeling much better soon. Congratulations on getting over another hurdle - hopefully it's your last! You deserve a break.

Surgery for a carotid endarterectomy is very different from OHS. There is no relationship between your aortic valve replacement and the blocked carotid other than the fact that vascular disease is not an isolated process (your whole vascular system is effected everywhere). Anatomically the bifurcation of the carotid artery is a place that plaque builds up, but it is easily addressed. In short, the artery is isolated and clamped (sometimes a stent is used to maintain blood flow to the brain) then opened and the plaque is delicately removed from the inner lumen of the artery. Lastly, a patch is sewn over the artery to close it and viola - you have the artery of a 20 year old.

I hope this helps. I have assisted on numerous vascular and heart surgeries prior to receiving my own after being injured playing hockey.

All the best!!

Latest posts

Back