12 weeks post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

I am 12 weeks post-op as of today. I picked up my 27 pound grandson which I have been avoiding until now. I no longer have to say "I'm sorry I can't pick you up. I have done 6 weeks of cardiac rehab. I have gotten up to 6 mets at intervals. I feel no pain. I move around like I have not had surgery. My heart rate is still up a little from pre-op levels. I have enjoyed my 12 weeks off of work. I have enjoyed not having the normal stresses of life. I have gotten some of the things I wanted to do before I went back to work.

I start back to work on monday. That is going to be interesting. I am lead nurse on the floor that I work. They started using the new computer system while I was off. I was trained on it 4 months ago. Needless to say I don't remember much. Joint commission is due to walk in the door any day now. The floor has been staying full and busy. Oh joy! I will enjoy taking care of the kids though.

Debbie

Wow its been 3 months? You sound so much better than you have for a while all those years you had this hanging over your head

So after spending another week in a different hospital, and having so much free time to think, have you come up with improvements you like to make in yours? once you get back and get used to the new system of course.
During one of Justin's last surgeries, they redid the entire computer system while he was in patient (not fun for the patients any more than it is the employees) But the best part was Justin was the first person to be discharged from that floor with the new system.. they had so many problems finding someone to show them how to discharge him, he just said, I have my paperwork, I'm leaving. see you next week for my check up. So we left.

There are so many changes I would love to make even before surgery. The biggest thing I would like to change is not doing lab work at 4 am and x-rays at 6 am. It was absolutely wonderful that they let me sleep. That change will never happen.

Debbie

Thanks for this thread. I'm almost three weeks post-op and feel like crap with pleural effusion and anemia so it gives me hope to hear people eventually do get better. Thanks and good luck back at work.

Today is my 12 week anniversary too (AVR at the Cleveland Clinic)! I'm one month into my rehab, am in my second week back to work, and other than some discomfort in my rib cage, I'm feeling back to normal. Although I've had a few ups and downs, I never would have believed how not bad this whole experience has been.

I agree with you that hospitals should avoid 4am vitals, 6 am bloods and the completely silly 11pm battery change in my wireless EKG pack. That drove me crazy! (Other than that, I had phenomenal care and all nurses should be canonized!)

Good luck going back to work next week. It's tiring at first (I would think especially so for a nurse) but you'll do great.

Joanie

Latest posts

Back