12 weeks post op stress test today - and my 12 week concerns

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

The good news:
Well, here I am at 11 weeks post op and passed my cardiac stress test with flying colors. They locked me in at a heart rate target of 140 for working out in rehab. Actually did a little better than the stress test I had on record from 2009. Went back to work and am now in my second week and despite my students not letting me pick anything up or swing a hammer, its going very well.

Every couple weeks I find myself with a concern or three that has not yet resolved and feel compelled to post. My 12 week concerns are:

Concern number 1:
By the end of the day, my eyes have become sensitive to light. I wonder if all of the time I have spent on the computer has not given me some monitor glare!

Concern number 2:
My urination is simply not the same after surgery. I have volume, but no pressure. It seems like I sometimes strain to get it all out. Now back when I was on the pain meds, I used to have frequency AND low pressure, especially at night, that got me up a lot in the middle of the night, but the frequency has passed now that I don’t take pain meds any more.

Concern number 3:
The scar is healing up nicely, but it looks kind of puffy at the very top and the very bottom. Is that normal at 12 weeks? I suppose that there is no normal is there? I saw in an earlier post about the strange sensations in the area next to the scar, so that was nice to hear that I was not the only one who is getting the sometimes uncomfortable skin sensations. I was cursed with having Seborrheic Dermatitis and teh stress of OHS on my system really set that stuff off! It’s on my chest, face and leg and is just now starting to let up. Beleive it or not, a cardiologist told me that when my chest starts itching, dilute some raw honey in warm water and put a light coat on the itchie area leaving a 1/2 to 1 inch space on each side of the incision scar. It really knocked down the itching!

Any of your guys had this issue? I suppose its time to go visit the urologist and let him/her check my plumbing, but just thought I would float it out there so to speak.

Hi Jake,
Glad to read that things are going well with work!
Can't say I had light sensitivity issues after OHS...more of the visual auras and 'bugs floating by' scenario.
Also, can't help you in the 'urination' dept. nor from the female perspective:)
Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

I did see on the Dr. Oz show recently that honey was recommended for mild burns...interesting that your cardio recommended it for itching! This may be a new discovery!

Continuing best wishes on your recovery road.

Jake ...I would suggest that the urologist is in order as a kidney stone is a POSSIBLE cause of decreased pressure and as to the scar you may want to google keloid scar as they look like this
keloid-scar.jpg
AND you may want to look at this forum's TOOTs The Orders Of the Tawdry shirt. MAny sxcar smples are there

My lifetime-record itchiness has finally faded, or I'd be reaching for the honey myself. Not much here on the other symptoms, sorry -- but a bump or lump at the top of a standard sternotomy incision is pretty standard (and was mentioned in a PDF guide for patients that lynlw posted a few days ago). Something about the way they wield the crowbar. . .

Latest posts

Back