12 weeks post op LEAK!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a67emmamom

Hi All,
I have been part of a cardiac rehab group for the past six weeks. Last week I wasn't allowed to exercise because I felt dizzy and my heart rate was high before exercising. 125 BPM. The rehab sent me to see one of their cardiologists the next morning and he ordered an echo. I met with him this morning and he says I have a "mild to moderate" leak in the repaired mitral valve.

I am terrified. Just coming out of depression and now this. The cardiac surgeon that did the repair at Mayo had a TEE and two echos done before I left the hospital, 12 weeks ago. I was told there was no leak whatsoever.

Scheduled to see my regular cardiologist at Mayo on August 9th. Calling in the morning to see if I can see him sooner.

How common are leaks after repair surgery? How worried should I be? I'm afraid to go to sleep.

I'm sure you'll be having a TEE. Sometimes things appear to show up on an echo, and it will depend on how it's read. Your cardio will no doubt order a TEE and have that compared with the one done while you were in the hospital. Was it done while your were still on the OR table, or several days later, before discharge?
What was the nature of the problem with your mitral valve (prolapsed leaflets? ruptured chordae?) and how exactly was it repaired?
My husband had his MV repaired 4 years ago and so far, so good.
I do have regurge around my valve. I had a TEE 4 years ago and a 2nd one 2 years ago, which showed the situation to be the same as the previous one.
My annual cardio appt is tomorrow. We'll see if there's any change.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hi All,
I have been part of a cardiac rehab group for the past six weeks. Last week I wasn't allowed to exercise because I felt dizzy and my heart rate was high before exercising. 125 BPM. The rehab sent me to see one of their cardiologists the next morning and he ordered an echo. I met with him this morning and he says I have a "mild to moderate" leak in the repaired mitral valve.

I am terrified. Just coming out of depression and now this. The cardiac surgeon that did the repair at Mayo had a TEE and two echos done before I left the hospital, 12 weeks ago. I was told there was no leak whatsoever.

Scheduled to see my regular cardiologist at Mayo on August 9th. Calling in the morning to see if I can see him sooner.

How common are leaks after repair surgery? How worried should I be? I'm afraid to go to sleep.

Sorry to read you're having some trouble post-op. As Marsha said, a TEE is in order to better gauge what's going on. Please keep us informed as to what's going on.

I had no regurgitation right after the surgery, mild regurgitation one year afterwards and two years afterwards, then skipped a year and after four years the regurgitation was moderate (I as not a happy camper). After five years it was still moderate. At the end of this year I will have another echo, so we will see.

Had my 8YR recheck today. Regurge still there, but doctor isn't worried. He reviewed the echo download with the cardio who does a lot of the TEEs for the practice. Gradient pressure good. Will get copy of written report in about 2 weeks.
The tech said it's "normal" to have some regurge. Didn't ask her to explain that.
She spent about 30 minutes doing the echo.
Next appointment: 9:45 a.m. Friday, July 27, 2012.

Hopefully, you will be having a TEE to reassure that everything really is OK -- or manageable.

Try not to get yourself too worried about this until you have a TEE.

Many of us valvers continue to have mild to moderate leaks after our OHS without it becoming life threatening.
I was told by my old cardiologist that slight, mild to moderate regurge was nothing to get concerned about. And like Marsha, I never asked him for an explanation. I figured that if I felt good and he didn't seem concerned, "why" spend my time worrying about it!

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be that way for you too! :)

I too had trace regurgitation after surgery, then moderate, and then none. Hopefully, this is just stages the heart goes through. However, it is terrifying and worrisome. Hope all will be well soon!!!

I had no regurg post op. I'm now at mild to moderate closer to mild according to my cardiologist after 2 echos and a TEE. No one seems to be panicking so I'm more relaxed sort of. Thanks njean for the reassurance.

Latest posts

Back