10/17 came and went... Yay done!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin21

It's been 11 days and I meant to update sooner.

Had AVR with a St Jude 25mm at St Lukes in Houston. Surgery went as well as planned. Doctor said there really wasn't much scar tissue from the surgery at age 10 so he did get a good seat on the valve. It's tick tick ticking away in there. I could hear it in the all tile bathroom in the hospital but not so much, outside of my throat, anymore. I'm thinking as time goes on I may not hear it so much.

My surgery story went like this. 4am get in the car and drive 1.5 hours to the hospital. Checked in, sleepy and nervous. Got prepped and moved down to actual surgery room by about 7:30. Met with the various anestesia docs, asked me about meds and allergies and stuff to eat about 10 times. Guess they want to be thorough.

Rolled me down the hall to the OR. OR is cold as a mother and so it made me more scared since I was now freezing cold and knowing it was coming. They had me move onto the table and then took to lining me up and taping up my hand for the central IV and then gave me a shot of happy juice and that was all she wrote. Out like a light, in God's and the doctors' hands.

Woke up in the CCU, hands restrained to the bed and the dang tube in the throat. I knew to expect it but I really didn't like it. To make things much more horrible, I had bad drainage and my freaking nose was stuffed up and there was that nasty snot bubble crud at the back of my throat that I just could not clear via my nose or my throat. UGH!! Try and relieve your nasal problems if you can prior to surgery. So I banged my hands on the bed, to get attention and to get the dang tube out of my throat. Standard responses from the CCU nurse and then I had to play charades to illustrate my stuffed nose (made a "C" with my hand and then closed it into a fist while pointing to my nose). They figured it out but not much they could do. Waited the standard 30-45 minutes and then coughed out the dang tube.

THEN the worst part ever, waiting for that first bit of ice cube thingys. OH LORD how I wanted a drink. I remember wanting a pad to write on, being half asleep, and writing legibly with my eyes closed "water". DENIED!! LOL!! They swabbed my mouth and then by some miracle they gave me the ice. It was like getting a drink after days in the Outback desert...

I went in to surgery at 8 am, got out at 12:30 and then was getting out of bed and into a recliner at 2pm. YEEEE HAAAWWWW. The nurses taking care of me were all proud and stuff, bragging about their care and how my butt was up in a chair already. I was like, "Is that good??" I actually felt really safe in that chair for some reason. Maybe it was the snugness or something but it felt better than that stupid bed.

I was up all the first night. Not sure if it was the pain meds or the snot at the back of my throat or just the nerves. I didn't really feel too bad, although the little pain button didn't really do jack for me. Actually drinks of water were my favorite part of the whole thing. Well, that and eaves dropping on the nurses conversations and even chiming in on some of their talks. I'd point to my beeping machines whenever my BP or oxygen levels would set the thing off. I'd start breathing deeper or trying to relax to get the monitors to stop.

I got sent to the private room the next day on the 11th floor. I actually didn't feel to great about moving and I kind of feared the quietness of the room versus the buzz of the CCU. I actually got more attention than I bargained for toward the end :).

I got out in 6 days and came home. Home was much more comfortable and I was really digging being out of the hospital.

Anyway, I'm home. Back to work on a part time basis. Eating decently, although my appetite is toast. Cheers to recovery.

I'm happy for ya Kevin, I hope to emulate you in the most sincere way ....being a good patient that is:biggrin2:

Remarkable bounce back , crossing fingers it really goes this well:thumbup:
Brad

Great story! and I relate to just about every word...had my surgery the 21st...best feeling in the world to have it in the past...every day gets us stronger. Congratulations!

Hi kevin. While I'm a few months away from what u just went thru I enjoyed ?
(?) your story odd word but right on. By now u r probably doing laps around the gym ! Anyway so glad all is good continued good health. Best. Nancy Jane.

It never hurts to share our story of the hospital trip, it is never very great to begin with, or end with, lol. But anyway, glad you are home and feeling better. Just do not push it too fast, the healing has be done as the body wants to heal. You are in a good place right now. Hugs for today and keep us updated on your recovery and misadventures, lol.

Hi Kevin. Really enjoyed your comments. And glad for u it's all going well. I'm up for avr in feb 2012. Have a lot of traveling before then. You mentioned you were at work p-time. Thats super. Hope I can be too. Are you driving ? Lordy lory so many questions but this forum has been a big help. Good going. Be well
Nancy Jane

Hi Kevin. Really enjoyed your comments. And glad for u it's all going well. I'm up for avr in feb 2012. Have a lot of traveling before then. You mentioned you were at work p-time. Thats super. Hope I can be too. Are you driving ? Lordy lory so many questions but this forum has been a big help. Good going. Be well
Nancy Jane

I can't drive yet due to the 6 week restriction on me. Too scared to get an airbag in the chest and ruin $230,000 of my Doc's work.

I'd be at work full time if it weren't for the driving restriction. My job is all about being mobile and it's damn near impossible when bumming rides.

I'm actually kicking butt in terms of recovery in my opinion. No fatigue or issues so far. today was the 2 week anniversary and I'm not looking back.

Kevin, you are not back to work this soon. No, no, no, no, no, this is not good. Really, really not good.

I don't care how good you feel. You're pushing yourself way too much by going back to work so soon. You could easily end up flat on your back in the hospital very soon. Stop working!

Luana I'm okay. I'm not doing any lifting or racing about. In fact, I'm barely on my feet for more than 15 minutes at a time. Believe me, I enjoy my job and it's just theraputic to get moving again. Takes my mind off worrying about the steel and carbon fiber keeping me alive.

If I get tired I rest. I'm my own boss so I can go as slow or fast as I want. Lol.

I appreciate the concern and I will take it slow. I'm not going back to that hospital due to my on actions.

Luana I'm okay. I'm not doing any lifting or racing about. In fact, I'm barely on my feet for more than 15 minutes at a time. Believe me, I enjoy my job and it's just theraputic to get moving again. Takes my mind off worrying about the steel and carbon fiber keeping me alive.

If I get tired I rest. I'm my own boss so I can go as slow or fast as I want. Lol.

I appreciate the concern and I will take it slow. I'm not going back to that hospital due to my on actions.

This makes me feel a little better. Please know rest is important to your recovery. If you become aware of any persistent irregular heartbeats, get yourself seen ASAP. I'm glad you're feeling well, and some activity is good during recovery, and there is no substitute for rest, so do take it easy.

Back