1 year check up on repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuba_898

Sorry it has been a long time since i posted. On Oct 19 2009 at 29 yrs of age I had surgery to correct a bicuspid valve and my aorta. As a result Dr. Chen at Emory hospital repaired my valve from my own tissue (not a replacement) and replaced two sections of my aorta due to aneurysms.

My three month checkup back in march was not that great. I was told that my heart was leaking again at moderate level, and that if it got much worse we would have to start thinking about surgery again. at that time my aorta was looking great, no problems there. In all that report was a little disappointing, however my cardio said it could still mean years before surgery.

Today, roughly 1 year from surgery i had a echo done and saw my cardiologist again. His words were "I can't explain it". My echo / heart has improved. he said that leaking was still there but had decreased. the heart sounds better than did before in march, and had shrunk back down to normal size. the aorta also looked great he said. He said that he had to compare this echo to the last echo to actually believe it. I had some questions but he did said that he contemplated reducing my BP meds, but doesn't want to rock the boat.

I feel good. I still have incision pain every now and then. I was not expecting this good report. I was expecting a worse report.

I want to thank VR members for there support. You definitely made me an informed patient. told me the questions to ask. answered some of my questions. and always always get a 2nd and 3rd opinion when possible.

I thank all of you. If i can do anything to help out, answer questions. just contact me.

Scuba_898,

Congratulations on getting a much better check up that you anticipated. Now...that is the kind of 'surprise' one wants to have.

It goes to show you that things can and do get better with time.

Good to hear from you.

All the best, :p)

Always good to get better news than we expect. Happy to hear things are looking good for you. Keep up the good work.

That is a good report and I think your youth is on your side.
I think my healing continued to take place for 18 months - I just continued to feel better and better!
Wishing you all the best,
Dale

Latest posts

Back