01 Feb surgery date..a few questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtludwig

Good morning,

I'm new to this forum but am glad that I found it..it is nice to read about other peoples experiences. So here is my situation:

I am 30yrs old and am scheduled for aortic root repair/replacement and possible aortic valve replacement (I have a bicuspid aortic valve). My surgeon is Dr. Gus Vlahakes at Massachusettes General Hospital. I met him a few weeks ago and walked out feeling very confident in his abilities.

The doc told me that he plans on only replacing a portion of my aortic root (it is enlarged), as he doesn't like to replace the entire root unless he absolutely has to. He told me that if you do a full replacement and later on have an infection, that it makes things much more difficult. He said that by repairing the aortic root, there's a chance that the valve may not need to be replaced. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did you end up needing the valve replacement?

I intend to go with a St. Jude mechanical valve if it turns out to be necessary.

Thanks!

Howdy
I'm now 40 days out from my A valve replacement. They used the St Jude Biocor on me. I've had my bumps like lots of the folks here. But what makes this a good place is you hear the good, bad and ugly (TOOTS) I'm not an expert on the reasons why they may or not may not do certain things. I just know what they had to do to keep me going. So if I can help with feel good stuff ask away. After it's all said and done I feel a whole lot better than I did 60 days ago. Good Luck, the folks here will pump good vibes your way. Just say keep em coming and we will. Rick

Your surgeon is one of the finest in this country and you are in excellent hands at what Business Week rates as of the five best heart center in the U.S. I had two OHS at Mass General, the second not quite two years ago, and I could not have asked for better care than I received from every professsional in the facility with whom I had contact. They are so competent.

If that is what Dr. Vlahakes says, I would take comfort in knowing this opinion comes from one of the best.

Sending you very best wishes. Hope you have a successful surgery and bump free recovery.

It sounds like we were in similar boats, with the exception that my AV wasn't bicuspid. At any rate, I had the valve-sparing procedure done back in October, got to keep my valve, and I've had a textbook recovery since then. Given how young you are (I just turned 40 last month and my doc kept telling me how young *I* was), you should fly right through the procedure.

Good luck!

jtludwig - welcome to the forum! I think what you are referring to is sometimes called the "David Procedure." Search on it in the forum to find more info. Good luck! Saving the valve would be a great outcome. :)

Dorsai - I just have to say, I love your avatar. I picked up a big stuffed Domo to use as a heart pillow later this year. Inspired by your posting. LOL.

Latest posts

Back