Pregnancy and Valves - Women Please Read!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KMB

I just wanted to take a minute to share my story with the members of this site and any other women who want to get pregnant and have a mechanical valve or are thinking of getting one.
After many oks and thumbs up from the medical community, my husband and I finally got the go ahead to have the baby. We tried and were successful and were excited finally getting to add another member to our family. It was the first baby for us. I have a mechanical ON-X valve put in May of 2005, so the plan was for me to take Lovenox all 9 months of the pregnancy, which I started taking 2 weeks before conception. We had learned that Coumadin can be very harmful to the fetus and goes through the placenta to the baby, Lovenox does not. We and my doctor felt very confident with our choice. There is not a lot published about valves and pregancy since it is just doesn't happen that often.
The months seemed to be flying by. My valve was doing fine, I was feeling great and the baby was going as he should be. I was followed by my regular OB, high risk OB, and my cardiologist. I was tested every week and sometimes twice a week with a blood test called anti-factor 10a, which checks the clotting, similar to INR checks. Every week but one I was in range, and at that the high end of the range.
At about 31 weeks of pregnancy I had some mild chest pain, but otherwise felt just fine. The pain felt like a dull ache. I notified my cardiologist and he recommended coming in to have an echo. The doctor informed us that the gradient, pressure on my valve, was at a 12. Normal people have a gradient of about 4 or 5. He did not know if this was due to my pregnancy or if something was wrong, so the next week I went in for a TEE. During the TEE they found a clot on my valve and I was admitted to the hospital and was told I would stay there for the duration of my pregnancy. Our world was turned upside down and I was crushed. I was administed IV heprin and could not leave the hospital. The next week we had another echo and the gradient went down to 8, so we were thinking that all was going great and the clot was dissolving itself. The next week we had the echo and it was back up to 12. We were not sure which echo was right, so the next week we had another echo and the gradient was now 17. I was not getting any better, only worse. We were really alarmed and were not sure what would happen if I suddenly went into labor.
We approached my doctor and said we wanted to be transferred to the Mayo clinic in Rochester, about 3 hours away from the current hospital and 5+ hours away from our home, but knew we needed specialized help to treat the problem. My doctor had already been in contact with the Mayo and we were all on the same page. I was transferred down by ambulance and the next day met with many doctors and had another echo. The gradient was 16. The plan of attack was to go through a dose of TPA- a clot busting drug which is very risky in the mitral valve. We had full faith in the doctor who recommended it. The next day we met with another doctor who said if we went the TPA route the risk of stroke was 20% - quite alarming. No one wants to have a stroke. My husband and I then met with a surgeon who suggested having a c-section and replace the valve all at once. Remembering what it felt like the first time I had replacement surgery I was so upset. How was I going to be able to care for my newborn child and recover from two surgeries at once. The risk of stroke was too high though, so we decided that we needed to do the surgeries. The doctors thought the clot was so bad that they wanted to do it that day, but then decided the next day was better.
The day of the surgery was intense. There was a team of caridac people, OB people and neonatal people all in the operating room. They could not put me fully out because they did not want to place any undo harm to the baby, so they gave me a PCP like drug and put me partially out. They put in all the lines and then put me all the way out. They did the c-section first and then the open heart surgery. The baby was born at 5 pounds 7 ounces - he was 4 weeks early. They rushed him to the NICU and he was placed on a breathing tube for about 12 hours. They then decided to replace the valve as the clot had taken up over 3/4ths of the valve. I have pictures of the valve and it is truely amazing that I am alive. The clot was huge and I was not feeling any symptoms before the surgery. The doctors could not believe I was not in heart failure. The surgeries were sucessful and I was up in the ICU by night. I was taken off the breathing tube at around midnight. The next day I was able to see my baby. He was so cute. We named him Carson. I was out of the hospital in about 5 days and feeling so much better than the first time I had the surgery. The baby stayed in the NICU for about 10 days as he learned how to eat and gained some strength.
It is now 3 weeks later and we are back home again. No one knows what went wrong, if the Lovenox did not work for me, if the valve was the problem, or if it was just that the blood is extra sticky during pregnancy. We chose to go ahead with the mechanical mitral valve the first time because the doctors said that getting pregnant with the valve would not be a problem with the proper anti-coagulation. I chose that valve because I did not want a tissue valve and then have the have the surgery again 10 years later. Had I known this all would have happened who knows what route we would have gone.
I just think it is so important to tell people about my story. No one thinks they are going to be the one that gets a clot. No one thinks that they are going to be the one that is going to be at the edge of dying. Thank god we had great doctors to turn to and everything turned out ok. My community and family sent up prayers too which I am sure helped. I am also a big believer in angels too because one was really watching out for me.
I hope that if you are thinking about getting pregnant and you have or are looking at valve choices you take my story into mind. I would not want anyone to go through what I had to. Mechanical Valves and pregnancy are just not a good combination.

I'm sorry to hear about the terrible time you had. Thank God both you and your child are ok. When I was at Mayo in December my cardiologist there said to me that at this point in my heart history she did not want me to even consider getting pregnant. Luckily, I have already had mine and have no intentions of doing so anyway. I hope you both continue to do well.

Kim

I'm glad everything has turned out well. God was certainly looking after you and the baby.
Thank you for sharing your story.

Kris, thank you so much for sharing your story. Congratulations on your baby Carson (my nephew's name!). I hope that you both are feeling well. We have had several members who have gone through pregnancy with a mechanical, all with differing stories and different forms of protocol in ACT during the pregnancy. You are the first I recall being on Lovenox the entire pregnancy. It seems like most switch back to Coumadin after the 1st trimester.

I would hope that doctors are compiling and evaluating all the experience from you and other woman, so that maybe they can get some answers. I am pretty surprised that your doctor told you prior to your VR that it wouldn't be a problem having a baby with a mechanical valve. That is not the main school of thought.

Thanks again for sharing such detail of your experience. What valve do you have in now?

Best wishes for a beautiful life with Carson!

I can honestly say that my only fears in life were childbirth and OHS; I can't even begin to imagine doing them both on the same day.
Kris, you are an amazing woman.....enjoy your precious baby.:)

Dear Kris,

I wept as I read your post.... how very lucky indeed that you are alive & were able to have your baby. Reading your post took me back so many years ago when I was not able to continue my pregnancy while awaiting AV & MV replacements. Unlike you, I was not on blood thinners at the time, but the weakened state of my heart, would have made it impossible to go full term. And it was also 34 years ago....technology then is not what it is now. :(

(I was never was able to have children of my own after my surguries, but God blessed me with two wonderful step-children & 3 grand children that I love as if they were my own!)

Thank you for sharing your brave & poignant story! Best wishes to you & your family! :)

I am so glad you shared your story with us. This was the topic at my OBGYN's visit today. She was telling me that it was not impossible to happen. It could be done and I would be closely monitored. The Doctors and my NP in Boston have been telling me all along that it should be avoided. It can be so risky. I am not looking to become pregnant anytime soon. This is a decision I would have to do some serious thinking about.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy everything worked out for you. Best wishes for you and your little one.

TLB123 said:
I am so glad you shared your story with us. This was the topic at my OBGYN's visit today. She was telling me that it was not impossible to happen. It could be done and I would be closely monitored. The Doctors and my NP in Boston have been telling me all along that it should be avoided. It can be so risky. I am not looking to become pregnant anytime soon. This is a decision I would have to do some serious thinking about.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy everything worked out for you. Best wishes for you and your little one.

I had my children prior to my VR. It was my last pregnancy that pushed my valved over the edge. So I did not have to consider pregnancy when making my valve choice. I am very grateful to have my mechanical valve and it's serving me well, but having heard enough stories, I'm one of the first to recommend a tissue valve for any woman wanting to have children after valve replacement. It just takes a lot of worry out of the equation. I think a woman with a valve issue (pre or post repair or replacement) has additional worry anyway, but ACT really complicates the picture. I'm happy for those women who have been able to bear children with mechanical valves and without much trouble. But it is a complicated road. KMB was so generous in sharing her honest feelings and experiences.

I would question your doctors about how they feel your heart and new valve would handle a pregnancy and factor that in to your equation. There is also the issue that tissue valves don't last as long in young adults. If you're looking at a tissue valve and hoping to get 10 years out of it (because of your age) you would need to plan children after your heart is healed, but before a tissue valve begins to deteriorate.

KMB - I reread your story again - because there was so much to take in, I'm sure I missed something the first time. I can't imagine how much stress you and your loved ones were under during this time. I pray that this is the very worst thing you face in your life. I'm sure you probably look at little Carson each day and think "You are the only one I would ever go through such things for." God bless you all.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It will be a much read post by those who question whether or not they should get pregnant. Sending you thanks and best wishes that you and your son have many wonderful years together.

Hi Kris - Thanks for sharing that difficult experience. I'm very glad you and little Carson are doing okay. Best wishes to your new and happy little family.

Hi Kris,

God bless you and Carson. I too believe in Angels and it sounds like you had a team of them overlooking you. Thanks for sharing your story.:)

So glad to hear that everything worked out in the end, but what a terrible time you had!

I was talked into getting a tissue valve the first time around and I am so glad I did. The valve only lasted 5 years (I got it when I was 22yo) but it enabled me to have my two boys with no problems. My youngest was 12 weeks when I had my second AVR. It was incredibly stressful for everyone at the time.

I now have a mechanical valve and while I would love to have another baby I know the risks are too great. My cardiologist has told me that he would not support me through another pregnancy as he thinks the risks would be unacceptable. I have done a lot of reading on the subject. Hopefully down the track it will be possible for women like us to have fairly normal pregnancies.

Sometimes the urge to have a child of your own can make you take huge risks. It is a powerful force. But the price can be very high for those of us on ACT. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful amazing journey.
I too had my children b-4 my VR. Praying for you to have a Healthy recovery and a life of blessings with that sweet babe Carson!

Thanks for sharing your story. Once again, I'm reminded of why my husband and I have decided not to have children the "traditional" way. Every now and then I get a little nagging voice that says "But MAYBE I could do it" and stories like this remind me that I'd rather be as healthy as possible when the baby is born rather than risk not being here for the baby at all. Some day (when we've saved enough money) we hope to pursue surrogacy (using my eggs and his sperm). It's the closest I'll ever get to experiencing pregnancy for myself.

Oh my goodness, Kris, what a harrowing story. I'm so glad that you posted for all women of childbearing age to read. I am also glad that you had those wonderful doctors and angels watching out after you and the baby. It's definitely a miracle, that's for sure.

I had two boys before my replacement and then lost one (miscarriage) after the replacement. This was ten years ago, and my cardio was scrambling to get his hands on any information that was available at the time. There wasn't much info to say the least and by the time he had established a protocol (heparin shots), I had lost it. I also remember a similar story to yours posted by a member named Anthony whose wife did make it through the whole pregnancy but had major complications afterward. You can look him up in the members list and click on his old posts to read of the experiences he and his wife went through.

Thanks again for posting and best wishes to you and the new baby.

My doctor does feel that my case was not the norm, but there is some research out there pointing to deaths and clots with pregnancy. He is going to document it so other woman going through it may get the proper treatment. I do agree that it is easy to be watched really closely through pregnancy, and I do think that I was watched very closely, but it only takes a week for things to go from bad to worse. Maybe if I had lived closer to my doctor we would have had more echos, but then again my blood tests always came back in range, so he thought everything was going fine. Plus I never felt any sort of shortness of breath or any other symptom that would have caused him to think I was anything but well. It was just one day of a few hours of very mild chest pain.
They did offer to put in a tissue valve so we could have more children, but after this experience, I was too afraid to even think about it. I just can't go through another one of these surgeries again for a long time.
Thanks for all your support.

Kris - what I find interesting with your story is that you have the On-X, which is supposed to be less likely to form clots than the St. Jude. That's probably the biggest surprise for me with your story. I'd love to see someone look into that aspect of your story. Having read some of the info on the On-X, I would probably have gone into a pregnancy feeling better about my chances than with another valve. Then look at the size of clot you had. I'm very confused. Would love to see someone at On-X take a look at this.

Best wishes!

Karlynn said:
Kris - what I find interesting with your story is that you have the On-X, which is supposed to be less likely to form clots than the St. Jude. That's probably the biggest surprise for me with your story. I'd love to see someone look into that aspect of your story. Having read some of the info on the On-X, I would probably have gone into a pregnancy feeling better about my chances than with another valve. Then look at the size of clot you had. I'm very confused. Would love to see someone at On-X take a look at this...
Interesting thought. Mitral valves tend to clot more than aortic valves, of course. And On-X valves are made for both mitral and aortic positions. I guess anticoagulation stats on valves would also be important to be separated by type of valve? Perhaps they are? I'd never really thought much about this before.

Back