Zlever- Finally makes it home!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zlever

Wow its so great to be home!! I actually got home yesterday afternoon and to dismay of my wife I had to check out the yard---the coming of the spring tulips and flowers and the budding of the trees. I am taking it easy and not trying to do to much it seems like Im constantly up and than down. I'ver read that that is normal.

So Tuesday morning the day of surgery started off well. I remember going into the holding area prior to surgery, placing all my personals in a locker and giving the key to my wife. I than got into my hospital barb and was ushered over to the heart patient bed. I guess this is the bed that all the haeart paitents of the day start out at.My terrific wife Traci and mother were present as the military chaplain came by to say Hi, we didnt do an open prayer but my mother ensured that he said a prayer for us as the Anestheologist started to administer the "happy" drugs. Than I remember the surgery team saying my Name, "Hello Zack--How are you doing etc" at that point I remember waking up and giving them a thumbs up---talking and being alert--than apparrently as my wife and mom came up to see me after they took out the breathing tube--I stopped breathing for 2 minutes! Uh Oh! They are not sure how this happen. They pumped oxygen back into me and I later came too. Im still kind of baffled why this happened and the surgery team told my wife they were too. Maybe they took me off the breathing machine to soon! Than I finally got to see my wife and mom, dad brothers, sisters etc and it was so great. I remember getting emotional telling them all how much I loved them. Later that night as everyone had gone home I continued to use my breathing tool (the one you blow in and it escalates up to a certain number such as 1500 etc), they than gave me some "albuderphal" (not sure on the spelling) which promptly escalated my heart rate to 180--I was kinda getting freaked out as the night ICU team became concerned. They rallied together after calling the surgeon (Dr. Havenstrite) and gave me a shot which lowered my heart rate to a normal level.
I remember the next day being very very difficult as I came off the drugs that were taking away so much pain etc. I remember just a few days ago hardly able to walk and with no apetitie. Just thursday they took out my catheter but too my very much displeasure had to stick it back in later that as I had not yet urinated and my bladder showed a lot of fluid it was retaining.--That was a real bummer! Finally friday I felt so much better. I walked 5 laps--about 70 yards a lap up on my floor. They took the catheder out and I finally began to urinate normally. It took me until saturday Am to finally have a stool movement but once I did, the surgeon came in and told me I had improved dramatically and he asked me what I thought about going home. I was so excited I could hardly stand it--finally some freedom.
I have to go back to the hospital for more bloodwork tommorrow and talk to the coumadin people but I am so happy to now be HOME!! It feels so good. Last night I got really tired and went to bed around 8PM--I woke up about 4Am as The pain in my chest became discomforting. I than took a percuset --which helped alot. I now have a 23mm ONX valve that clicks ever so lightly--I can hear it always but its hard for anyone else too unless its really quiet and they strain to hear it. To answer South Sound Sailor --I never did meet or get a chance to see Dr. Nichols--I was assured afterward that he was present for surgery with the ONX rep for sizing etc. but that he only played an "assist" role in helping Dr. Havenstrite perform the surgery. To Harleygirl I have informed Dr. Havenstrite of you great success and he told me that he would try to contact you---he was very thrilled of your success! --Very Happy! To all whom have responded in written form or just in your thoughts thatn you all so much and I look forward to a continued prescence in this great world of VR.com! Take care all--Zack
Oh ya right now Im taking daily 1x-5mg of Coumadin (was told this may be lowered at some point to 2mg or so), 1x-aspirin -81mg, 1x 20mg-Prilosec, 2x daily-meteprolol 25mg, 2x daily amiodarone-200mg, 1x daily docusate 250mg.

Sounds like you are well on your way to an uneventful recovery! Keep up the good work and remember not to push it, but walk as much as you can.

good post, glad to hear things are going well. Now, take it easy for a while, eat, breathe, walk, sleep.

I had to laugh at you inspecting your garden as soon as you got home. My AVR was at the beginning of September, and we had put a new perennial bed in in the spring, and between the car and the house, I (and my newest best friend, my hear Huggy pillow) had to have an inspection tour !

Welcome home!

Hey since your taking amiodarone and Coumadin, heads up that it may be hard to get you stable at first. Hopefully you won't be on it very much longer. If not, let us know.

Welcome home! Walk, sleep, eat and breathe - and that's it for a few week! Don't push too hard or your body will push back!

Welcome home. Sounds like you are doing fine. Your being able to post such a fine and detailed report attests to that. Best wishes for smooth and speedy recovery.

This is great news Zach.

I remember how glad I was to get home from the hospital. I just slept so much better at home than at the cardiac ward. Your family must be thrilled to have you back and in the clear.

Springtime is a neat season to be home recovering and getting to see the first flowers come out and the fruit trees budding especially after the really wet winter we had this year.

Between you, me and South Sound Sailor we could have opened up an On-X concession or at the very least received a group discount.

Cheers.

Welcome Home Zack! :) You sound good! I hear my OnX clicking when I lay on my back, when I lean into the mirror to put mascara on, and when I stand in front of a window or door. Sometimes at night you'll hear it with your head on your pillow but fluffing the pillow helps. I'm deaf in my left ear, sleep on my right ear, and found the fluffing to work pretty good.

Welcome home Zack! And what great timing... the weather has been wonderful and it's almost starting to feel like spring in Olympia!!! Congratulations and keep us all updated on how you're doing.

Steve C.

Wow ... WELCOME HOME, Zach!

Good to see you back'n'posting again!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Everybody wants love to be easy" ... Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ... 'Stand A Little Rain'

So glad to hear that you are home and doing well Zach! I have been praying for you and looking forward to your first post! It is wonderful to be home and, coincidentally, I myself got out in my yard today and actually did a little light yardwork. It felt absolutely wonderful to be outside and somewhat active. At almost seven weeks post op I am feeling so much better and before you know it, you will too. We had a beautiful day here in the Puget Sound area, not super warm but mid 50's, dry and clear which is a blessing for us.

Thanks so much for mentioning me to Dr. Havenstrite. I really thought a lot of him! I will tell you that in the first weeks after my diagnosis he was always available to me by telephone and so I am sure you will be able to contact him any time with questions or concerns.

There's no place like home...and I am glad you are there! My prayers are with you for a smooth, uneventful recovery and as soon as you are able I am looking forward to planning a little "Puget Sound" get together with at least four of us that I am aware of who have had recent surgery!
Take care and keep us posted as to your progress~

Great Post

Great Post

Its like an adrenillin rush here to see you back posting
im still praying for you at the hospital......wow cool
dont forget to keep things at a minimum now,

zipper2

Thank you all so much for the great responses. Its been a week today. I still feel the pain especially at night but the slow recovery is happening. Went to the doctor yesterday --looks like I will be on that amiodarone for no more thatn 6 weeks. My INR went from a saturday of 1.56 to a 3.01 so they adjusted my coumadin intake from 5mgs a day to 2.5mgs a day. I will go and get bloodwork done on both Wednesday and Friday of this week.
Thanks Ross for the remarks on the taking of both amiodarone and coumadin at the same time--I will keep upto date on that situation--Thank You Sir!

Plumber 1, HarleyGirl, South Sound Sailor I do look forward to our little reunion we have planned later in the year--it will be great.
To everyone else all of your comments I have read and I just think the world of all of you. Thanks

Went and walked around some today---feeling like a nap is coming on! talk to you all Later Zack

Sounds like you're doing very well. It does get a little better every day. Some days that is hard to see but then you think back a couple of days and it clicks thinking well I couldn't do that a couple of days ago. I am six weeks today and I am an old lady. :rolleyes:
Doing well and you'll do even better.
I just took a nap and that really helps;)
Earline

Welcome Home!

Welcome Home!

Hi Zack,
I've been praying for you.
Let the spring air rejuvenate you.
I'm glad it's warming up over there.
We still have winter over here in Spokane.
It snowed yesterday. I think that was my fault though.
I made an appointment to have my snowtires taken off.
The warm rays of the sun do wonders for healing.
Take lots of naps.
God Bless!!!!
-joshua and family-

So glad to hear you are back home & on your way to recovery. And I can relate to the "inspection tour" of your garden when you got home! :) It is always so wonderful to be back home & in familiar surroundings! Rest as much as you can & take it easy on yourself. Take care!:)

Back