Your thoughts on dad's symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiddo

Hi Everyone.

Hope you are well.

My dad had his 3rd OHS in June 2007 and chose a SJM valve. Things have been fine for the most part....his INR has been pretty stable for several months.

Recently, he noticed some symptoms that are concerning to him.

About 2 weeks ago his body was overcome with weakness, esp. in his arms and legs. He took an ecotrin (aspirin), laid down for 45 minutes and regained his strength.

At social functions or when speaking with people, he sometimes feels dizzy, short of breath and feels like he is going to faint. He will usually get some fresh air, taken an ecotrin and feel better in 20-40 minutes.

He also bruises easily, which takes him weeks to heal. I know this is from the coumadin.

He has an appt with his cardiologist tomorrow and am wondering if there is anything specific he should be probing.

Thanks for your help!
Jennie

Definitely sounds like something to see the doctor for. I had a few episodes, but they were much closer to the actual surgery. Could be TIAs, but in my experience they don't usually last that long.

I am glad he is going to the cardio tomorrow. The cardio needs to know exactly the information that you posted. I wish your Dad the best of luck.

Ecotrin is aspirin! I agree with Sue.

The weakness and dizziness doesn't sound right. He needs to be seen by a doctor and the sooner the better. It might not be anything to worry about. But let a doctor examine him and tell him what he thinks it is.

He should not be self dosing with aspirin. And he should make sure to tell the doctor what he's been taking, and what has transpired.

Thanks, everyone. I am going with my dad to his appt this morning. I looked up the symptoms of TIAs and they do sound similar to what my dad his having. I will probe this with the doctor, as well as any issues with his blood pressure. Currently, he is taking coumadin, aspirin, a statin (not sure which one) and lisinopril...I believe for his blood pressure. He is going to inquire about plavix as well. Not sure if this would go well with the coumadin though. I will keep you posted.

I would recommend staying away from Plavix. In my opinion, it's far worse then Coumadin. I've had a bad experience with it, some have not. I'm thinking his Lisinopril may be the culprit here.

Hi All.

Just wanted to give you an update. So, the Cardio didn't think my dad had a TIA or that it was a result of his medication. He is going to do an EKG and tread test to see if anything shows up. My dad also mentioned a weird sensation on his left jaw area and the Dr. thought he would check for angina. We are waiting the results of the EKG at the moment.

I thought for sure it would have been a TIA but he was convinced it was not.

There could be several different things going on. Glad you have an appt with cardio.
Good luck to you and your dad. I hope you get some answers. Hang in there.

I *assume* your dad had a Heart Catheterization / angiogram before his surgery. Were his Coronary Arteries free of blockages at that time?

Does he have any Nitrostat tablets for angina?

It would be interesting to know if a Nitrostat tablet relieves his symptoms (and for how long).

He definitely needs to have these symptoms checked out, perhaps with both his PCP and Cardiologist.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Al.

Yes, my dad had a heart cath before surgey. They did find a 90% blockage in one of the small or minor arteries. They decided not to do anything at that time because they felt the risk outweighed the benefit. I questioned the dr. about it this week and he didn't feel this blockage was causing the symptoms. He also didn't think that anything should be done about it (i.e. stent) because of the specific artery blocked. The dr. said that if the blockage was causing the symptoms, it would be after my dad had been exerting himself. Most of the symtoms came on when my dad was at rest.

I have not heard of Nitrostat but I will look it up. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back