Your scar--try to hide it or not?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, from a fellow aluminus of Dr. Duke Cameron. I had my Mitral replaced by him on November 10th 2008. I'm a guy so I where mine like a badge of honor. Besides I'm old and married and it's my personalityto show stuff off like that.

Here is my sister-in-law dermatologist response:

Typically glue is only used in locations that are under minimal tension such as a minor injury on the face. I could not imagine glue would ever be used after OHS. Also, usually low tension wounds are injuries that would heal well and would be less likely to require silicone sheeting. If, for example, glue was used in place of sutures for a wound on the face, I would imagine the silicone sheets could be started one week later. However, I would recommend they check with their physician to be certain.

Given how many of us had glue (me, too) maybe you should show this to your sister-in-law and get her abit more current!

I had a beautiful little white line, only 4.5 inches max, and then somewhere along the line (I guess it was about 6 months out) it started to hypertrophy (sort of keloid, but not as serious). The tenderness, red and shininess of it bothered me for quite some time. I tried gel sheeting and mederma but did not like the result, so quit. I had some acupuncture and found that worked well to regenerate some of the natural healing.

I'm still abit self-conscious about my scar, but my family insists that I should just forget about it;it doesnt' bother them. Beyond them, who cares? I'm sure I shouldn't.

Best wishes

Marguerite

I tried hiding my scar at first, felt ugly and didnt want people looking at my scar instead of my face, but over the last month this has changed i think like you guys, that operation saved my life and what i went through to get it, i am now proud of it and if people want to look let them. I have been using bio oil which was recommended on my scar and its only been 3 months since the operation and it has really helped to heal it.
Hope this helps Jane

Hi!I just ordered a "high neck" bathing suit because I do not want to scare people with my scar. I guess you guys do not care about this stuff, but how have some of you dealt with this?

Your scar won't look scary forever. Order just the one suit for now, because in a few months your scar won't be all red and angry. People may notice it, but it won't alarm them.

I found that sun helped my scar to look better. The only part of my scar that isn't nice and smooth and almost skin-toned is the part right between my breasts, where it never gets sun.

(That said, I have dark olive skin, never burn -- never tan much, for that matter -- so if you are a blondie or redhead, you may not get the same results.)

Trying to hide it will eventually come to light anyhow.

*nods*

I know ... all too well :(.

As a youngster, the scar didn't bother me. But, once I was in HS and college ... it really bothered me. Now, as an adult, it doesn't bother me THAT much ... but sometimes, it can bother me to no end :(.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...W Grill meal = 02/28/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before" ... Ben Folds 5 ... 'Brick'

There was another post about scars, and I mentioned that I wear pendants and "Y"-shaped jewelry. Granted, if I move, the jewelry will move, and people might get a glimpse of the scar, but that doesn't bother me. I just try to avoid having the scar so "in your face" type of thing.

Great points, Well said -

Great points, Well said -

I had my second OHS 9 weeks ago and was down at the beach last weekend with a very low cut tankini top. I made sure the part of my scar showing was adequately protected with sunscreen, but it honestly doesn't worry me. In fact I was quite disappointed no-one really looked at all! Talk about damage a girl's ego... sure they might not have noticed the scar straight away, but they should have been looking anyway!!! :D :D

In my experience, most people are too self-involved (worrying about their own perceived problems) to notice other people's scars... and when they do, what a great opportunity to educate them about your heart condition. Sometimes you get to meed someone else with a scar too and then it's lovely to know you're kindred spirits. It's amazing the friends you make that you might otherwise never have known.

And in the meantime - CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the forum!! :D

A : )

Guess I am not really shy about my scar - but I guess I am a guy with a long history of being proud of my scars - they are all earned one way or another

I had surgery in '64 and '77 I triede to hide it in high school, but since than I have not. It is my scar, and a proud badge for being a two time life member of the national zipper club.

Latest posts

Back