Yoga and Mechanical Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a new mechanical aortic valve two weeks ago and I am feeling great.

In a few weeks I was hoping to try out yoga with my wife, but I was wondering about my valve. Is there any problem being upside down with a mechanical valve?

Short answer - No! Although, not knowing all of your details I would say ask your dr., because depending on what you're doing, there could be arm balances involved, plank pose which uses your chest muscles, etc. and they usually say wait six weeks, which is where you might be when you go since you said a few weeks. It took me a few months to really get moving again, but it seems just from reading these boards that I was in the minority on that. It's great you're feeling so good.

Since recovering from my OHS's, I have done yoga several times a week for the past 2+ years and have recently started teaching a class myself. Yoga is a GREAT thing when you are recovering from OHS. Once you are fully healed, there are no limits, including being upside down. Of course, as with anything, listen to your body and don't push yourself and all that. Good luck and enjoy.

Don't even think about it until at least 6 to 8 weeks out and even then, .....better check with your doctor.

Don't even think about it until at least 6 to 8 weeks out and even then, .....better check with your doctor.

I concur. At only 2 weeks out, your Sternum is NO WHERE NEAR ready for anything more than a few pounds of force / load.

Did your Surgeon Not give you a Lifting / Pulling / Pushing Weight Limit? Most patients are told not to Lift / Push / Pull more than 5 (or 10?) pounds for ?? Weeks, and then to only gradually increase that limit. Call your Surgeon's Office if you do not have such a Lifting / Pushing / Pulling Schedule.

You do NOT want your Sternum to get misalligned before it has fully healed.

'AL Capshaw'

Just wanted to add, too, that when you do start the class, make sure to tell your teacher you recently had the surgery. She or he can suggest options/alternatives to certain poses if you are having discomfort or want to avoid using your chest muscles. The great thing about yoga is that you can do as little or as much as feels good to you, and keep it at your own pace.

Back