Yes, I am the new guy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had both. The arm is standard. If they go through the leg, you have to keep still and stay in bed for hours. I had Droperidol, which made me irritable. Keeping still for so long was maddening.

I had femoral done 4 days before surgery. Apparently my wrist is way too small for the arm one. I just stayed in the hospital a few hours. My parents drove me home. I could not drive for a day or two - not that I wanted to - and it was a hard to do stairs a bit. However I just worked from home for that week prior to surgery since I couldn't drive.

Thanks folks, that helps...I will go arm if it works out and too bad for the potential down time, I will be getting plenty of that in the near future anyways with the OHS. I have my big meeting with the surgeon etc on Tuesday and I am starting to get nervous. This is all happening so fast...I guess it will be good to have more information, but it brings the reality closer...big breath...I can do it...

One more comment about angiograms. I've had two - both via femoral access. Neither posed any real issues afterward. I was able to type just fine. . .

No, I don't type with my feet, but some readers may think so.

Back to my point. . . If you are having your aortic valve replaced, you probably lose out on ever having an angio done via radial artery again. My first angio was in prep for aortic valve replacement. The second was in preparation for revisions to my pacemaker leads. I discussed approaches with the cardio who would perform my angio and made it very clear to her that I have a tissue prosthetic aortic valve. She said something like "I wish all my patients were as well informed as you are. With the prosthetic valve, we cannot use the radial artery approach. There is too much chance to damage the valve, and the alternate route from there is too long, so we always use the femoral access route. The cardio who wrote the original orders needs to re-read his case notes and relevant literature."

Be your own advocate. Don't let the damage your valve. Speak up, but do it respectfully.

Met with the surgeon today who confirmed that he would recommend a primary repair. The decision was left to me of course. It was explained that re-op will likely be in the 5-7 year range at which time it will be mechanical valve. There was no discussion of a bio valve at my age (42). I am still conflicted about the decision, but at a certain point I have to make one right? Anyways, the info here on thoughts either way certainly helped me. I decided that my fears re re-op should not trump a cardiac surgeon's preference for repair at this point. As much as I've tried to educate myself in a few months, I think he might know more...I suspect I'd be having the same doubts if I opted for a mech valve now and warfarin 4 life...oh well, cards we have been dealt, right? They are trying to push my angio up to this week, fingers crossed.

EasterRat;n872577 said:
Angio done, no issues with the vessels so that is good. Surgery this Thursday, zipper club here I come!

Good news

It's an exclusive club and the members are dying to get in
:)

Will you be dining with the non-vege (as Indians often refer to those who eat meat) of the carbonacious group?

I wonder if I could suggest something from the menu to get you started right after surgery?
The KimChi is quite delicious and has started a few movements...
whole-cabbage-kimchi.jpg

better than the suppository for desert that's for sure ;-)

pellicle;n872588 said:
Good news

It's an exclusive club and the members are dying to get in

Will you be dining with the non-vege (as Indians often refer to those who eat meat) of the carbonacious group?

I wonder if I could suggest something from the menu to get you started right after surgery?
The KimChi is quite delicious and has started a few movements...
whole-cabbage-kimchi.jpg

better than the suppository for desert that's for sure ;-)

WTF is that?! It looks like a cross between a turban and a haemorrhoid.

Agian;n872592 said:
WTF is that?! It looks like a cross between a turban and a haemorrhoid.

put your glasses on mate .. its Korean sour / chilli cabbage

if your haemorrhoids look like that seek treatment!

I was thinking "Mmmmmm, Roadkill!"

What's wrong with Miralax?

Whichever route you choose, be sure to actively manage your bowel health. The meds they use during surgery as well as the pain meds they give you after often bring your intestinal system to "full stop." It can be very uncomfortable. In my case it became so bad that 4 weeks after surgery I had to be re-admitted to the hospital to get it sorted out. That, in turn, slowed my recovery such that I wasn't ready for cardiac rehab until 12 weeks after valve surgery. Don't let your insides get that bad. Just speak up and ask for something to "keep it going."

epstns;n872598 said:
What's wrong with Miralax?

well if you happen to enjoy the colo-rectal equivalent of dry retching ... I guess nothing ... myself I hated that stuff.

As it happens I do like Korean food and it was a simple task to take in a small tub of KimChi and have it with meals in the hospital. As it turned out the meals needed a bit of "spice" anyway for a bit as they had me on the "cholesterol reducing diet" .because their kitchen assumed that all males over 40 having OHS were bypass / congestive heart failure patients (and my cholesterol is good as are my coronary arteries)

pellicle;n872607 said:
well if you happen to enjoy the colo-rectal equivalent of dry retching ... I guess nothing ... myself I hated that stuff.

Miralax doesn't do that. That's why my heart surgeon's PA recommended it.
I would know -- my backside had the dry heaves from a treatment I needed for another issue. Don't want to go back there!

Code Brown? Which one is that? When it happens but is unwanted, or when it is wanted but won't happen?

epstns;n872624 said:
Code Brown? Which one is that? When it happens but is unwanted, or when it is wanted but won't happen?
well I was thinking about it terms of the alert on the potential ... but I'm not sure if there is any sort of convention.

Its a bit like when we were in a cab coming home and my wife said to the driver "pull over please I'm going to be sick" ... he looked straight into the rear view mirror (for visual confirmation) and said "pull over immediately or pull over safely"

apparently it takes them off the road for hours if they get ....

Whew. . . I was afraid that this thread was going out of control for a minute.

I also thought somebody was going to bring up the bit from the 1970's movie "Groove Tube" . . .

"BROWN 25. . . another quality product of. . . Uranus."

Does anybody else remember Groove Tube, or am I the only one who wasn't so stoned as to not remember.

Back