year's supply of meds?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musician2k

Beloved Member
Does anyone's insurance allow them to get their coumadin (or other long-term medications) in a year's supply? What did you have to do to get that to happen?

Nope....I have medicare part D and they will only allow a 30 day prescription.

Why do you need 1 year at a time?

I get 90 tabs at a time, but my PCP writes the Rxes for twice what I need: i.e., instead of 6.5mg X 90 tabs, he writes 3 Rxes, one for 90 tabs of 10mg, one for 90 tabs of 2 mg and one for 90 tabs of 1mg. That gives me 6 months.

I will be getting new Rxes for same strengths to take to Wal-Mart. John checked with a Wal-Mart pharmacist this weekend, who said that if you don't go through insurance, you can get any quantity filled, at $4/30 tabs.
You could conceivably get 360 tabs of 5mg, if that's your dosage, filled for $48 and get it all at one time.

Of course, this is generic, not Coumadin. But ... I'll go that route to save $$$.

My Mail Order Prescription Service (and Insurance Carrier) allow 90 day Prescriptions. I'm not sure I would want to buy a full year's worth of Rx's at one time for several reasons.

Most providers recommend discarding any medications over 1 year old - (I usually do NOT...2 years, maybe).

I don't think I would want to keep a one year supply on my counter, especially if I was opening it weekly (or DAILY), exposing the medication to the open air and possible humidity.

Your dose MAY change (I get 3 and 4 mg's so that I can vary my dose from 21 to 28 mg/Week simply by changing the allocation in my 7 day Pill Box and still only use ONE pill per day).

'AL Capshaw'

I imagine with a large amount of pills, just split them into 3 or 4 bottles, add a bit of cotton, put the bottles in a zip loc baggy and put them in a drawer. Not in the bathroom! They should keep very well this way.

Musician2k:
The suspense is driving me crazy....What ever you want is ok, but WHY do you want a year's supply of your medications. Al and I have been talking about this and the one possibility is that you are planning to go to another country that does not have reliable pharmacies...Any travel plans in your future????

Or, maybe you are thinking the costs will increase and you want to take advantage of today's prices...They would be easy to store...and they don't eat and you don't pay taxes on 'em...smiles.

These inquiring minds wish to know.

Regards,
Blanche and Al

meds

meds

I used an organization years ago for BP meds called "Needy Meds" who gave a years supply by sending them to my doctor's office for me to pick up.
If you go on an internet search for free meds you will find many places, including one that was shown on Montel Williams show that can direct you how to do this.
Viki

Ohh! I didn't mean to cause such suspense. Don't worry, I'm not some security operative needing to relocate to an exotic foreign location, to live a life of danger, and needing to take a years supply of all my meds because there are no pharmacies in this exotic place! At least, if that *were* the case, I couldn't tell ya about it. :D

No, the real reason is much more sedate than that. I take several pills a day, as many of us do. Since my surgery in 2006, they've added a couple of pills too. I get them filled either through mail-order (we're only allowed a 2 month supply) or locally, 30 day supply. It seems that every week I'm running out of something else. I spend more time at the pharmacy counter than I do with my family, it seems. One pharmacist knows me by name, and when he sees me, enters me into his computer system right away before I've even approached the counter! Now, that's service, true.....but the point is, I know I'll need the following medicines once per day for the foreseeable future: Coumadin, Potassium, Proventil, Toprol, Allopurinol, Prilosec. Why not just get 365 days worth & be done with it?

That's my reasoning. It's not important. I'm just trying to simplify life, here.

m2k

Blanche said:
Musician2k:
The suspense is driving me crazy....What ever you want is ok, but WHY do you want a year's supply of your medications. Al and I have been talking about this and the one possibility is that you are planning to go to another country that does not have reliable pharmacies...Any travel plans in your future????

Or, maybe you are thinking the costs will increase and you want to take advantage of today's prices...They would be easy to store...and they don't eat and you don't pay taxes on 'em...smiles.

These inquiring minds wish to know.

Regards,
Blanche and Al

I understand your frustration m2k.

Too bad your mail-order won't allow more than 2 months at a time. I could see 6 months at a time, but one year seems a bit much, especially when you think about shelf-life issues.

'AL'

Back