Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to take your time

Try to take your time

Ann: I agree with the posts regarding returning to work. My advice is to take your time. The best advice I received was to remember that I have had open heart surgery. I learned in a hurry that slow recovery is the key to complete recovery. My AVR took place on December 11th. I returned to my job (senior mgmt/high stress) on January 29th. I started working partial days (4-5 hours) and will continue with this plan until about 12 weeks post-op.

I've had plenty of good days (my recovery has been incredibly good), but I've also had days where I just didn't feel like myself. I'm aware that I just cannot complete a full day of work - yet. Fortunately, I have the support of our organization - and that has made a huge difference. The most difficulty I've experienced is restricting myself from taking on too much too soon. I've learned to "listen" to my body for feedback about over-exertion and over-doing it. Recognize, too, that everyone is different.

My cardiac rehabilitation program has been great therapy as well. Working with other heart patients helps keep things in perspective and keeps me on schedule for a healthy and complete recovery.

I'm a much more patient individual these days. All indications are that this is a good thing.

I went back after 17 days. I wanted to go on a trip and my manager wouldn't let me go unless I came to work with a doctor's release.

I went on the trip and thought I was pushing things quite a bit because I was short winded a lot. Then, I found out that many people were short winded because we were at 7000 ft elevation.
I was OK except for laughing and coughing, both hurt. It seemed like I had a lot of trouble with saliva getting into the windpipe. I'd try to growl it out to avoid coughing but usually ended up grabbing my pillow and getting it over with. OUCH!
I also did a lot of nose pinching to avoid sneezes. Even after two month out it still hurt to sneeze.
The scar area was also very tender for contact by a seatbelt. For a long time, I used my pillow under the shoulder strap of the seatbelt to keep the belt off of the scar.

Latest posts

Back