Wlaldridge

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are both pretty common things to happen after this surgery. Your dad will be fine. He'll be monitored carefully and will be home very soon.

Say Hi from me.

Hi Vince,

Hope all is well with you and your family, Hang in there. The atrial fibrillation is not a big concern just as your fathers doctor expressed. Many people have AF after surgery and is more common than you think. I'm sure he'll be fine and home very soon. He will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery, Can't wait to see him back on the boards, Thanks again for the update.

Hello Vince,

I had an ATRIAL Firbrilation event 3 days after my AVR surgery which was treated with a Digoxin protocol (2 injections and a pill). The nurse got nervous when I hadn't converted after the pill and sent me back to CICU. By the time I got to CICU, I had converted and the nurse there wondered why I was sent back :) As long as A-Fib converts back to a normal sinus rhythm (NSR) in a reasonably short time (day or two?), it is not considered serious (or life threatening).

I had two more A-Fib events about 12 weeks post op, two days apart. When the first of those hit, I went to the ER where they basically let me lay around while on a monitor in the ER. Once it converted, they sent me home. When the second one hit, I took an extra (small) dose (25 mg) of Toprol XL and waited for it to convert, which it did in about 3 hours.

Some cardiologists like to prescribe Amiodarone for A-Fib which controls it quite well. Since Amiodarone can have some serious side effects in high doses over a prolonged time, I asked for a more conservative approach and my cardiologist told me to increase my Beta Blocker (Toprol XL) from 25 to 50 or even 75 mg while monitoring my Blood Pressure to ensure that I was never lower than 105 / xx. I've been taking 50 mg for the last 5 weeks and have had NO more occurances of A-Fib.

I was also borderline anemic, but from what I can tell, they did not give me any blood. I suspect this may have prolonged my recovery and accounted for some of my post-op 'symptoms'.

Bottom Line: These are common and treatable post op conditions. Sounds like you dad will be OK in short order. Most likely, they will want to monitor him for a few days to be sure he's ready to go home.

Send him our best wishes.

'AL'

Hey Vince - tell your dad 'none of that, now'. He's sposed to be coming home shortly and we expect NO delays so he should just cut that out.

Bill - you are in my daily prayers. You will be comin home soon so get all the rest you can while you are in hosp as you will be busy when they finally let you out. God bless - Ann

hi vince!
it is very common to go into afib after this type of surgery, we were told. it seems the heart is "provoked" and is used to working at a certain pace, so this kinda shakes it up.
joey went into afib 4 days post op and is/ has been on amiodarone for almost a year ( and afib-free!!!)
the side effects are scary, but as long as you are being watched, i guess it's a good option.
no one told us this would happen and we were sooooo upset. we expected it to go so smoothly after the surgery, but were shocked. it all worked out though.
he will be taken off of it soon ( over the next month or so) and we hope all will be well...
please be patient. this too will be resolved.
please feel free to email me or call me anytime. i'm happy to give you my number.
in the meantime, give it time and things will ease up,you'll see.
take care and be well, sylvia

A-fib too 4 days post

A-fib too 4 days post

Hi Vince, The nurse came in my room on the 4th day and told me I was having a-fibs...didn't have a clue what a-fibs were..Yesterday was only the 5th day after your Dad's surgery..I came home on the 7th..Bet he will come home today or tomorrow..Get ready..make him walk, walk,Tell him hello for me. Bonnie

Latest posts

Back