Wire Removal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeHeim

I know several people on this site have elected to get their wires removed at some point after surgery. Mine bother me during certain activities, the worst of which being surfing. (Surfing involves putting a lot of pressure on your chest as you lie down on your board and paddle for a wave.) After about two hours, my chest is typically very sore in the area where my three wires are, and I get some bruising in the area. Anyways, when I realized that I was no longer surfing as much because of the discomfort, I began to consider getting the offending wires removed. Can anyone tell me how much of an issue this is? I assume it is an outpatient procedure, but does the removal lead to a whole new round of scarring? How much does it cost and does insurance cover it?

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's input. I may elect to go through the procedure if it's not too much of a pain, but if it's going to cost me a bundle, I'll probably just "man-up" and deal with it...

:)

I like to bodyboard and I hope that I don't have that problem also. You might want to give it more time. I know that the scar tissue on your chest is extremely sensitive for quite a while so that could be part of it. Also you could try wearing a thicker wetsuit "vest" to pad you from irritation. I hope that you find a solution one way or another. Let me know what works so when I go back to the water I can use it too!

I was leaning over the front fender of my recently purchased '58 Chevy:), working on the engine the other day. I was surprised by how sore it made my sternum, & I'm now 1 year post-op. Perhaps it's still a little soon to resume my hobby. Good thing I'm not a mechanic by trade, I guess!;)

George said:
I was leaning over the front fender of my recently purchased '58 Chevy, working on the engine the other day. I was surprised by how sore it made my chest, & I'm now 1 year post-op. Perhaps it's still a little soon to resume my hobby. Good thing I'm not a mechanic by trade, I guess!;)

I knoiw what you mean George. My chest seems hurt quite a bit anymore. I am very active an sometimes it just aches. Of course it makes me think there is something wrong on the inside but I guess it is outside that is hurting.

I had one of my (can't remember now how many I had but it was around 15 wires) wires removed due to it actually breaking.
This occured within a couple months or so of surgery. It was for me, traumatic. i did not enjoy being rolled back into the OR. Granted my removal was out of necessity, it hurt...bad.

But the part of your question I can answer is that it added no additional scarring to the existing one.

As far as insurance, good luck. I'm not sure how they will deal with removal due to just a want for removal and not a rewuirement.

The discomfort will subside for the most part the farther you get out of surgery.

Hope this helps.

ben

Thanks for the input, but I'm pretty sure my issue isn't general sternum soreness. The reason is that the middle wire is actually visible and protrudes quite noticibly. When I lay on something hard (such as a surfboard), it acts almost like a pivot point, with the rest of my body being a teeter-totter.

Anyways, it sounds like it's a pretty big deal to get them removed, so I'll probably just learn to live with it...

Thanks! :)

MikeHeim said:
The reason is that the middle wire is actually visible and protrudes quite noticibly. When I lay on something hard (such as a surfboard), it acts almost like a pivot point, with the rest of my body being a teeter-totter.

Ouch!!!!!!!!!:eek:

MikeHeim said:
Thanks for the input, but I'm pretty sure my issue isn't general sternum soreness. The reason is that the middle wire is actually visible and protrudes quite noticibly. When I lay on something hard (such as a surfboard), it acts almost like a pivot point, with the rest of my body being a teeter-totter.

Anyways, it sounds like it's a pretty big deal to get them removed, so I'll probably just learn to live with it...

Thanks! :)

Mike, it sounds like your problem area is really close to the surface so maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal at all. You live a more active lifestyle than I do so what I might choose to live with wouldn't necessarily be the correct choice for you as well. It is great that you are out there and enjoying surfing after having had heart surgery. Not all that long ago that would have been an impossible dream.

Ouch is right! Mike that sound like a problem to me if the wire is exposed. Sounds like it could have the potential to get infected. Maybe if your Card found a reason for it to be removed, i.e. infection, insurance might cover it. Just a thought.

Staph infection can find it's way to the body through the smallest of cuts or breaks in the skin. One of my Co workers was hospitalized with a staph infection that he thought was a spider bite. Not to scare anybody but it is scary :eek:

I'm curious, If the people that have the wores poking out are really thin. The reason i ask , my mom had a cabg a few years ago (and a couple years before that she had an AAA) and when we were up there to visit a few months ago, she showed me where her chest still hurts and she is so thin I could actually see where 2 of the knots in the wires were and if I touched them it hurt.She just assumed everyones were like that after heart surgery I told her they were her wires and she should call the doc and get them out,She just assumed everyones were like that after heart surgery
unfortunately her hospital experiences were alot like Ross's so she didn't call. Anyway she is 5'3 and less than 100 pounds, so I wonderred if maybe they were sticking ut like that since she is so thin and really just skin over her bones. Lyn

wire worries...

wire worries...

My wires caused a lot of discomfort, they were protruding because I was so thin. Maybe 100 lbs. at the time of removal.
I had my 6-8 wires removed about 3 months after surgery, The surgeon who replaced/repaired my valves was the one who removed the wires. He went right over the already existing scar and there was no additional scarring. It wasn't bad at all but I had to spend 6 days in the hospital, Same amount for my OHS. I think the problem was the heparin and my unstable INR.
After it was done, I felt relief almost right away. I'm very glad I did it. Totally worth it for me. Good luck Mike and everyone else with their wire woes.

I had my wires removed awhile back and insurance was not an issue. I did it on an out patient basis and as far as pain there was a bit. My incision is longer since they have gone in 3 times. The surgeon did a 7 inch cut and got the first two out then about and inch lower his second cut etc. until they were all out. Having the cuts begin and end made it better since I did not have the entire area in one long cut. My top and middle wire were protruding and painful after many many years so having them out was a very positive surgery. I would do it again in a minute. I am sure you can check with your insurance and get precertification for the procedure. I did have to go off coumadin which is always tricky for me.
Kathleen

Mike,
I have a similar point protruding from my chest. It's pretty visible...if I look in the mirror while moving my upperbody around it appears to me moving around under the skin. It hasn't caused me that much discomfort but I'm only about 3.5 months post-op so I haven't yet returned to my full range of activities (which inlcudes surfing). I'm going to speak to my surgeon about it soon so I'll be sure to pass along anything helpful.

Latest posts

Back