Winter bicycling?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
What's the best clothing to wear for bicycling in the winter? (I'm talking Texas, not somewhere like Minnesota!). This is for casual riding, not long-distance rides.

I know that jeans won't hack it -- they'll get caught in the chain.

My bike is a Trek, a comfort one.

Thanks.

winter cycling

winter cycling

Hi Catwoman!

I ride my bike in Texas all year. In the winter the most important thing is to keep your knees warm. Bicycle specific clothing is best because the material is breathable which helps keep you warm.

I love my Descent brand long pants and Pearl Izumi knickers. Beth or Teresa at Bicycles Inc. off Granbury Rd in Fort Worth have great things and they are very helpful to women cyclists...it doesn't matter if you are a casual rider or expert. I have also found things at Academy that work well.

Check Nashbar or Performance Bike, both online merchants. If it isn't like freezing, you can get by with knee warmers, elbow warmers, a long sleeve tee shirt under your shirt or jersey and something on your head under your helmet.

In South Florida, cold is anything under 60 or so. I make it through the winter with what I described above. I do wear gloves if it is below 60, and a skull cap or something if it is colder than that.

Don't know what people wear when it is freezing, but I wonder why anyone would ride in that kind ofweather.

John

I'm in San Diego and it does get a little chilly here in the early morning. I also do my shopping at performance bikes, we have a store nearby. I wear layers and as the time passes I peel them off.

I think comfort is important and the colors I pick!:p

John,
I finally got some miles on the bike at the gym. 3 miles and it felt so good.I'm going back tommrow for some more.
:D

We don't get many really cold days here in Sarasota. When it does get chilly I have a pair of bike tights that I bought online from Nashbar. To break the wind I'll also wear a vented zip-up vest over a long-sleeve bike jersey.

Mark

Good answers so far, here is my input. I have ridden in everything from 110 to -10 so I will just give the full run down based on my experience.

55 and up I will wear shorts and wicking shirt
50 - 55 add leg warmers and t-shirt over wicking shirt.
45 - 50 add Arm warmers
40 - 45 add Sleeveless fleece vest
35 - 40 add goretex shell jacket with pit zips
30 - 35 add head sweats head band
30 and under add goretex shell pants

If it gets lower then about 10 I will usually add a face mask as well.

I find a light shell that is windproof with pit zips to be the most important piece of clothing. You generate your own warmth as you ride and don't need to dress as warmly as you think. You want to be chilly when you start but not cold, if you plan on any stops along the way make sure you have something warm to throw on, wool sweaters work great.

Very important, make sure you keep the knees warm for anything below 55, they will ache on you if you don't.

mntbiker list is good. Might add a very light balaclava as well

mntbiker list is good. Might add a very light balaclava as well

I made up a chart similar to mntbiker's. Based on thermometer what to wear. I also added winter gloves at about 35 (hands froze up with biking gloves) and added a very light polypro balaclava under my helmet at about 40.

Start with the mntbiker list then tune it to your own body.

John

juliek said:
Hi Catwoman!

I ride my bike in Texas all year.

Juliek:

Do you do the local rides? A friend of mine does -- rode in Sherman last weekend with her husband. Debra got me interested in getting my bike a year post-op. My weekends are usually devoted to cat shows, so I haven't gotten into any organized rides.
I got my bike at Fort Worth Cycling, and haven't seen any women employees there. Will go by Bicycles Inc. sometime after work.

BTW, what part of Fort Worth do you live in? I'm in Aledo and we have NO really good trails to ride out here. I usually ride on our street or on FM1187.

winter rides

winter rides

Hi Marsha!

I will PM you later with some details about local rides etc. It's great to read you are out there! BTW Fort Worth Cycling is a good place too.

Hey, Marsha.
I'm cheap when it somes to clothing...Walmart or stuff on sale.
I have a couple of polyester tight pants and long sleeve tops.
Add a light but tight fitting jacket so if you stop and rest you can bundle up a bit. For casual rides with my wife, we tie the jackets around our waists or stuff it in our camel backs.

Mineral wells has a nice rails to trail ~25 miles long.

Tom:

Good to hear from you!
Yes, I've heard about the ride in Mineral Wells. I'd like to take my bike out there some off-weekend and ride some. A friend who rides with me to cat shows lives in Mineral Wells, so it'd be an opportunity to get together for lunch/dinner.

I think I'll do the Wal-Mart bit at first, then upgrade if I do a lot of winter biking.

How can anyone who wears lycra and spandex bike shorts worry about what they look like in tights? At first, I was mildly embarrassed to go out in public like that, but there is no way you can ride any distances in comfort without real bike clothes.

We are so spoiled here in Florida, especially South Florida. I bet I didn't have to break out my "winter gear" more than a dozen times last winter and I ride 3 or 4 times a week year round. Winter wear consists of knee warmers, arm warmers, long sleeve cotton tee under a biking jersey, and something over my ears. But I won't go out if it isn't above 50 or so.

John

What most of you are calling winter, I would call spring and fall. For real winter, the biggest problem I had was cold feet and hands. Thick winter gloves are cumbersome on the controls and you tend to lose some of the "feel" of the steering. I could never find a good compromise of a thin glove that also kept my hands from freezing. For feet they sell plastic booties, shells without a sole that cover your shoes.

67walkon said:
How can anyone who wears lycra and spandex bike shorts worry about what they look like in tights?
I have a simple strategy to avoid embarrassment...............ride faster.
On the other hand, it's better to be embarrassed than ride bar-a**ed! ;) :D (Ross, please don't throw me out)

Latest posts

Back