Will I set off metal detectors?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

terence

A quick question. I'm flying from New Zealand to Australia next week to see the doctors who treat my arthritis (it's flared up again - at the worst of all possible times).

When I had surgery I had a St Jude's Valve with a portion of artificial ascending aorta attached (had the Bentels procedure).

One thing I figured I'd better sort out before I fly is will the valve set off metal detectors at the airport. My valve ticks pretty loud too, and I can envisage a scenario where first I set off the metal detector and then they hear me ticking. This doesn't sound like fun...

thanks guys. so I guess the answer is "possibly". I'll let people know how I get on.

I have set off quite a fdew.,...matter of fact I can tell you which ones are the goos=d ones.
I am a very large framed person and they put a few extra wires in me to hold me together.....so there goes the detector!!!

I have only set off one in 28 years but I think they are set more sensitive these days so there is a chance. Just make sure you have some type of information with you (ID card, note from doctor, etc.) to prove what is happening.

I've flown many places in my 33 yrs w/my mechanical valves & I've never set off the metal detectors.

The last time we were in the airport, I requested NOT to go thru the detectors & to my surprise, I was taken out of line & a lady security, looked at my ID & medical cards & did a manual search & sent me on my way. No problems. And that was the airport in Vancouver BC, by the way. So if you have trepidation about going thru the scanners you might ask if they will do a manual search on you & the reasons why.

It probably depends on the kind of wires you have, but most likely, even that won't do it. I've been though several metal detectors and even hand scanned twice without a problem. In the last two weeks, I've been through two metal detectors at the Harris County Courthouse, one at Houston Hobby Airport, one at the Atlanta Airport, and one at Patrick Henry in Newport News, VA without setting any off. Because of the military bases there, Patrick Henry has very tight security, so I assume their detectors would be more sensitive.

Just make sure you have your card in case you do. Have fun on your trip.

I was told I would due to the wires that were inserted for securing the sternum but I`ve already received my wallet size card with all the information for crossing Customs.

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely take my card (I think I have one) or, failing that, a letter from my doctor. And a button up shirt so I can show 'em the scar too...

Latest posts

Back