Which one do you recommend?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jitojo

Hi guys!

First of all let me thank you in advance for your help, it is very appreciated.

I'm a 29 yr old fairly active man with BAV (no symptoms yet) and a 5.1 cm Asc. Aortic Aneurysm with OHS in mid August. I have made up my mind and I will be getting a mechanical valve, the thing is that I don't know much about the pros (they are durable but coumadin sucks) and cons (noise, blood destruction, calcification...) of each different brand out there.

Could you please share your thoughts and personal experience on this. Which brand and model would you choose? Why?

Thank you again, you guys do a great job.

Jitojo

Hi Jitojo,
This question has been discussed often, but without any resolution. I am as prejudiced as anybody in favor of the choice that was made for me (mechanical), so it is hard to see the other side. Coumadin, as often stated on this forum, is no big deal at all. Consult with your surgeon, make an informed choice, and stick with it; it will stick with you.

jitojo said:
I have made up my mind and I will be getting a mechanical valve, the thing is that I don't know much about the pros (they are durable but coumadin sucks) and cons (noise, blood destruction, calcification...) of each different brand out there.

Could you please share your thoughts and personal experience on this. Which brand and model would you choose? Why?

Jim,

Welcome,

I am unable to help as I received the Ross Procedure. There will be many who will chime in on your question.
You are past the hardest part....making the choice.
Remember, no mater how difficult the remaining choice of manufacturer can get, you are one of the luckey ones who had the 'choice'. There are many who had no choice.

God Bless & Good Luck.

Ben

Hi Jitojo,
My boyfriend Jim (now 28) had his aortic valve replaced in 2003 with a mechanical valve. He got a Sorin valve, which is manufactured in Italy - his surgeon felt it was the best valve there was in terms of haemodynamics and longevity. The alternative his colleague suggested was a St Jude (sorry, I don't know which type - there are newer ones available now though I think than back then) but the surgeon felt the Sorin was better. However, we are in England and as far as I know Sorin valves aren't distributed in North America. But they are part of the same group of companies as Carbomedics. There is also a newish valve which has been getting lots of good press lately - the On-X. A few members have or are getting these valves. I kind of freaked out when I found out there was a newer, better valve out there LOL but having read some of the data on both calmed down a bit - Jim's valve numbers (gradient, opening area etc) are closer to the On-X than its competitors so I decided to stop worrying! If you search for any of these valve types here in the forum you'll come up with lots of info and links to homepages etc.
Hope I haven't bombarded you with too much info! You've made the big decision as Ben said - now you've just got to narrow it down a bit more. It may be worth asking your surgeon what they would choose for themselves, and why. They will have seen hundreds or thousands of hearts and know which valves work best.
Take care, and any questions just ask away!
Gemma.

Jitojo,

I don't know a lot about different brands or models of mechanical valves. All the surgeons I have met with have recommended the St. Jude valve. They have all been very confident in this valve and they said that it will last forever. In fact, they never brought up any other type of mechanical valve.

Welcome to this site! There is a lot of great info here and very knowledgeable people.

Shannon

Well it's good that you made your decision and are ready for it but you and I are pretty similar and I am going a totally different route so I hate to put this on ya. If you read some of the other threads you will see my updates and posts about this. I am going in for surgery this Tuesday (May 31) and here is what I am going with and why. After seeing 3 different surgeons from three different hospitals and 3 different groups...all had their opinions and comforts. The last one I saw is the one I am going with and gave me the most options and the best explanations....and best reality check...lol I am going in for the Ross Procedure with the latest stentless porcine valve as a backup. Talk to your doctor about getting you in contact with a surgeon that performs the Ross Procedure to see if you are able to have that....some surgeons don't offer you that choice because they don't do it...found that out after seeing surgeon #2! Given our age...I'm 31 so I'm right there with you on the BAV and work out 3 to 4 times a week and am very active...the surgeon I am going with explained it like this....if I am leaning towards a mechanical as a backup to the Ross because I do not want to go threw OHS again....think again....more than likely..given our age...we are looking at another surgery in our lifetime no matter what we choose. True the function of a mechanical lasts a lifetime...but that does not mean it is going to be in your heart for a lifetime...the odds are that it will need to be replaced in about 20 to 30 years...and being on coumadin for that long is more than likely going to have an affect within that period. The reason I am going with this latest stentless valve as a backup....it has been used for the last 12 years and in 98% of the cases...there have been no signs of calcifying or wear out....so it is getting an estimation of about 15 to 20 years. Personally...if I have to go through this again...I would rather do it in my late 40s to early 50s rather than be in my 60s....just feel my health and recovery would be better. And in the mean time...live a normal life...well as normal as I was before surgery...which may not be saying much..lol...and when the time comes for surgery...I am sure the technology will be there for a better tissue or mechanical valve....and it may not even be OHS....they are already starting to do pulmonary valve replacements through the cath method and should be common practice within the next 6 to 8 years...hopefully the aortic valve isn't to far behind. Hope that helped and not confused...trust me...each surgeon you see and each different day you read something different...will only confuse and frustrate you. But once you have gone through the process of research....you will be comofortable with what you go with. I am ready for this Tuesday and not worried about a thing...although a lot of that has to do with the comfort I have with my surgeon...so if have any doubts or discomforts with a surgeon you talked to....find another...don't worry about hurting their feelings...lol

Hey Mike,
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but you're having surgery, May 31, on my birthday! That's also Sherrin and Carla's birthdate! You'll do great, and we'll have a piece of birthday cake for you! :)

jitojo said:
Hi guys!

First of all let me thank you in advance for your help, it is very appreciated.

I'm a 29 yr old fairly active man with BAV (no symptoms yet) and a 5.1 cm Asc. Aortic Aneurysm with OHS in mid August. I have made up my mind and I will be getting a mechanical valve, the thing is that I don't know much about the pros (they are durable but coumadin sucks) and cons (noise, blood destruction, calcification...) of each different brand out there.

Thank you again, you guys do a great job.

Jitojo

WHY is your surgeon waiting 2-3 months (until August) when your aneurism already exceeds the usual surgery threshold (5.0 cm)? I'd be pushing to have surgery ASAP at that stage. Our moderator, ROSS, survived a burst aneurism. Most DO NOT.

Regarding mechanical valves, the third generation valves from On-X and St. Jude Regent both have improved hemodynamic characteristics which theoretically result in less turbulence and lower risk of CLOT formation. Do a SEARCH for On-X to find their website. These valves have been discussed in several threads on VR.com as well.

'AL Capshaw'

not that I'm recommending it over any other mechanical valve, as they all seem to have their good points - but to carry on from what Al said, the On-X website is...

www.mcritx.com

Good luck with whichever one you choose

Love Emma
xxx

Thank you all for your input!
I'm preparing a list of questions for my surgeon about the different mechanical valves - I really like te on-X but dont know if UWMC carries it.
Ill keep you posted, thank you again.

J

Back