Where do I start?...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwusko

Looking for a few post-op training tips...

I'm 9-weeks out, and got the green light from my cardiologist to get back to life...I'm fighting to get back into shape - I dropped about 45lbs before the surgery, and 25 following...still got some work to do, but now that I'm mechanical I can't exactly throw down salads at the rate I used to...and, I'm looking to redirect my focus from size/ strength to cardio/ fitness..

I'm going through a rehab program, more for the education side...the excercise program isn't pushing me at all - I'm only 31, and not in that bad a shape for my weight...I'm back on the treadmill walking/ light jogging...tossing a baseball, and shooting a basketball...

I'm looking to turn things up a bit to start burning calories and work down to my 'healthy weight'...I've never been much of a runner, but I've set my first goal at a 5k, maybe 10k next spring...

If anybody can help out w/ training programs or advice for a guy in need of some help during a transition phase in life...it would be greatly appreciated...

Jeff
AVR July 6th
CCF - Dr. Roger Mee

Welcome Jeff! Sounds like you are having a good recovery.

Since I see you must be on Coumadin - I'll put in my standard plug for our member, and Coumadin (warfarin) expert, Al Lodwick. He has his own site that you will find extremely helpful as you live your life with Coumadin. The site is www.warfarinfo.com

If you were one to eat a lot of salads prior to your surgery and it was a part of your regular routine, then there's no reason not to eat them now. The key with warfarin management is consistancy. As we like to say "Dose the diet, don't diet the dose". The harm comes in binging on something high in Vit. K, when your INR is on the low side, or dropping something from your diet that had a significant K content, causing your INR to go up. I've been on Coumadin for almost 14 years and I eat what I want. I do love salads, don't eat them a lot, but I keep my INR on the higher side of my range to accomodate for being able to eat some spinach if I want, or some such thing.

I know others will be along to answer your questions.

If you've got the green light, a lot of walking will help you at post 9 weeks. Try walking a 5K distance until it's no problem and then start jogging parts of it until you can jog the whole thing. I always use light poles for my interval, but that would depend on where you live. Cheers, Will

Hi Jeff,

I spent a lot time on stationary bikes at the gym for the first year after my surgery. It was a nice low-impact way to get a good aerobic workout.

Sometimes it was two steps forward / one step back: Some days I would push too hard and pay the price the next day. You have to listen to your body.

I did my first sprint triathlon a little more than three years after my surgery. Got hooked on triathlons for the challenge and the cross-training benefits (my 52-year-old joints don't like doing the same things everyday...).

As far as running, I'd recommend Jeff Galloway's run/walk method.
More info at: http://www.jeffgalloway.com

Mark

MarkU said:
Hi Jeff,

I spent a lot time on stationary bikes at the gym for the first year after my surgery. It was a nice low-impact way to get a good aerobic workout.

Sometimes it was two steps forward / one step back: Some days I would push too hard and pay the price the next day. You have to listen to your body.

I did my first sprint triathlon a little more than three years after my surgery. Got hooked on triathlons for the challenge and the cross-training benefits (my 52-year-old joints don't like doing the same things everyday...).

As far as running, I'd recommend Jeff Galloway's run/walk method.
More info at: http://www.jeffgalloway.com

Mark

Thanks Everybody!
Jeff

Jeff,

I've got a mechanical valve and eat spinach salads every day. As Karlynn said, you just adjust the dose to what you eat. It helps to be regular in your eating habits - but to me that's just an excuse to eat a lot of salads.

I'll put in my shameless plug now for rowing as the ultimate form of exercise - not only is it an unbeatable cardio workout, but it exercises all of the body's major muscle groups at the same time. I love it, and it's perfect for heart patients, because you can set the resistance at any level you can work with, and just go from there. The best rowing machine available, bar none, is the Concept 2 - it is used by all of the college and military rowing programs as a winter trainer: Here is a link to their web site- http://www.concept2.com

Several of us here (me, arbee, MelissaM, MitralMan) row for exercise and have a virtual rowing club where we log our meters each season for motivation.

Raverlaw said:
Jeff,

I've got a mechanical valve and eat spinach salads every day. As Karlynn said, you just adjust the dose to what you eat. It helps to be regular in your eating habits - but to me that's just an excuse to eat a lot of salads.

I'll put in my shameless plug now for rowing as the ultimate form of exercise - not only is it an unbeatable cardio workout, but it exercises all of the body's major muscle groups at the same time. I love it, and it's perfect for heart patients, because you can set the resistance at any level you can work with, and just go from there. The best rowing machine available, bar none, is the Concept 2 - it is used by all of the college and military rowing programs as a winter trainer: Here is a link to their web site- http://www.concept2.com

Several of us here (me, arbee, MelissaM, MitralMan) row for exercise and have a virtual rowing club where we log our meters each season for motivation.

Thanks Bill,

I'm going to look into the rowing, I've always enjoyed it at the gym...Might have a difficult time sneakin' one past the wife - she's still reeling from the money I dropped on the treadmill, but it's gotten the results...

Far as the Vit K - I've had a heck of a time so far getting it in check...either over or under my goal...When I get that in check I'm definately going to start re-introducing salads & such...

I was starting to get a little disheartened...my weight plateaued - I had lost quite a bit before and since the surgery and as I've started to increase my activity the results just weren't there...I had dinner w/ a pharmacist friend a couple nights ago, and we were discussing my recovery and meds...Lopressor/ Metoprolol (post-surgery), digoxin and of course coumadin...I was on Lisinopril pre-surgery (constantly dizzy couldn't walk straight)...He filled me in on beta-blockers - truly a miracle drug, but it binds to fat and makes losing weight difficult - in my case impossible...My cardio had me start weening off the Metoprolol after my 8-week checkup, I'll be off of it in 2-weeks...With a little patience and hard work I should be back on track soon...

Jeff

Glad you found us. Congratulations on the weight loss, the desire for better fitness, and a great recovery thus far. I waited a couple of years post AVR to lose weight and gain fitness. At 51, wish I started earlier, but can't look back now. Will run a 5k this morning.

Shooting baskets is a good sign that the sternum healing is going well. I was still getting a twinge with a golf club 12 months post op. Oddly it hurt most on my good shots - didn't happen often - the good shots, I mean.

You already have excellent suggestions. I'll add the ideas of gradual incrments, walk breaks, and rest.

Increment about 10% each week in whatever you decide to do. That may seem laborious for you, but it helps avoid injury from over doing it. You may be able to increment more than 10% in your previous range of distances. I've incremented 1/2 mile per week since getting the green light to run again. In 12 weeks, I'm back up to 6 miles at a time.

Whever it is running, swimming, cycliing, rowing, slow down every so often for about a minute. It helps you in the incrementing process and you recover faster the day (or so) after. I also found that it helps me temper my pace if I get going too hard.

Lastly, be sure to get adequate rest. Regardless of how you feel, there is some healing going on - heart, sternum, those muscles you are exercising. Rest rebuilds.

PS...I was never much of a runner, but grew to enjoy it immensely. Am switching to short triathlons after achieving long running goals, and gainging a foot injury. Enjoying the cross training, both physically and mentally. Find what you enjoy.

To confirm what others have said - eat what you want but be consistent. I eat salads, green vegies, seaweed, tofu, etc. but I do everything on a regular basis. I am not fanatical about it but I try to make sure I have the same quantity of items on a weekly basis.

As far as exercise, walking is always the easiest and best early on. I found rowing took awhile because of my upper body weakness (especially after my third OHS). I do have a Pilates platform machine that I swear by and it allows for rowing motions, leg exercises and strength exercises. I love it and it keeps me toned. I also have a swinging walker type machine for aerobic stuff. Swimming is my choice in the summer but winter requires other activity since I am leary of public pools.

Good luck and continued success.

Back