When is it time for surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

Does a dilated LV dilated aortic root a LVEF of 53% a moderate to severe aortic leak and also a reversal flow of blood in the aorta mean its time for surgery?

Anything else to check for surgery?

My aortic valve is functionally bicuspid (calcified on 2 cusps). I have severe regurg and a moderately dilated left ventricle with an EF of 55% and mild flow reversal. I'm also mostly asymptomatic. No other complications beyond this - its a straight valve job. I saw my surgeon 2 days ago and he told me that "when the left ventricle begins to show dilation you need to start thinking about surgery". My Cardiologist said the same thing. At that stage your heart is having to work harder and its only a matter of time. I am going for my 2nd Echo later this month and having surgery in the late summer (or earlier if the situation is deemed to have worsened after the next test). My surgeon also told me I could wait a while if I wanted to, but he did not recommend it. I want to do it ASAP and avoid showing symptoms or having my left ventricle enlarge into dangerous territory where permanent damage can occur. I would encourage you to read a link to an article from the Cleveland Clinic that I posted under the Reference Sources section of this site about "When is it Time to Operate"?

(On another thread, you mentioned your surgery is on the 12th! So, I'm assuming you're going in......)

Tony

I would encourage you to read a link to an article from the Cleveland Clinic that I posted under the resources section of this site about "When is it Time to Operate"?

Can you please post the link here, or a link to the link? I looked for it but did not find it.

Thanks guys. Its just that i felt really fine today and thought may b i am forcing myself into surgery. Tony yea i got my dental tomorrow. Thanks. :)

Latest posts

Back