When do you feel motivated to work again?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

It is a bit over 5 weeks since my surgery. Last week, I started working almost full time and physically, I think I can work full time this week.

But, my motivation level is so low. I feel guilty that I just don't feel like doing hardly anything at work when the other people here are working pretty hard. Lots of our clients are people who aren't in very happy places and I just don't feel like dealing with them right now.

Hopefully this will pass, but it worries me. It is weird, and maybe partly due to the toprol and partly due to the surgery, but I don't like it.

How long does it take for the motivation to come back? I recall seeing a somewhat similar thread a while ago, but I guess I didn't pay close enough attention.

Thanks.

John

When I returned to work, I found it exhausting and my body was still constantly reminding me I had heart surgery. It was hard to be really motivated when it took every ounce of energy just to cope with being there. As my strength and stamina improved, so did my motivation. I think it took me about 6 months post-op before I was fully comfortable and confident back at work. I wasn't on toprol.

I went to work 4 weeks after surgery and felt fine. As far as motivation goes:

>Love to work.
>Wife loves for me to work
>Creditors love for me to work
>Lot?s of pretty girls at work that like to hear me tick:p :D :p

John-
I wouldn't be worried at all at five weeks. I think that the vast majority of people on this site went back to work much later than five weeks. Personally, I went back at ten weeks and still had issues with exhaustion midway during the day. Also, I was 29 years old and in good shape (relatively). You're probably just expecting a little too much from yourself at this point.

Mike

John,

I think a large part of the recovery involves our mental well-being, not just our physical progress. I just completed my 7th week after surgery and am not back to work full-time yet. I still can't imagine being full-time when I'm still so distracted by other things in my recovery such as:

? making sure I get plenty of rest
? planning and making time to do my exercise so I can build my stamina back up
? making and keeping appointments for physical therapy, cardiac rehab and other follow-up appointments
? following up on insurance claims that are not paid correctly
? trying to get back into a regular routine with shopping, etc. that were part of my life pre-surgery

Even when I'm at work some things aren't as critical to me as they used to be. I think that will all come back in time. I think your focus will just be different for awhile after surgery and the former motivation will all return to you eventually. Don't feel bad about taking the time you need to let yourself recover mentally as well as physically

I think when to go back to work, everybody is a different. My doctor said it would take 2 months before I felt like living life again. He was pretty close. But beginning to live a normal life is not back in full swing. I was in the process of changing careers and after this have decided not to go back to work and instead focus on Graduate School. I took one class 4 weeks post op which was very hard the first few weeks. Probably pushing it.

My only advice is: don't expect the mental and physical recovery to coincide perfectly. I have found that when one did well the other did not. Still is the case almost 3 months post op. Some days are great, some I have no motivation. I just try to be present where ever I am and honest with those around me with where I am.

John

These guys are right. Give yourself some slack. I am pretty much a hard charger at work prior to my surgery. Although I had the expectations of being "slowed down" post-op, I thought I would just overcome it and put in the usual 12 to 14 hour kinda stuff like I did before.
Whoa....it just didnt happen. When the ol body said to take a nap in the middle of the day which is so weird for me, that what happened or else I'd begin to feel ill in some odd way. I watched a lot of Opra, discovery channel, and TV shows that I didnt know existed just because I just didnt feel like working. So...dont beat yourself up.
KatieD is right on about the mental health thing too. What may have seemed important (before the event of our lifes), may not be that big a deal now. Some struggle with outright depression, although I'm not sure thats where your at.

I've read your posts before your surgery and Katie D and couple of others.
We all had our surgery about the same time. Fell kinda connected to y'all so hope is well with you guys.

After 33+ years of doing pretty the same job, I wasn't all that motivated before!

It was much better this past week. I don't seem to need the naps or anything, at least not most days. I'm getting there.

John

Latest posts

Back