What is ground truth: home meter or lab venipuncture?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: the idea of a study: are you near any hospitals that do clinical research? Physician residents and PharmD residents are often tasked with designing and carrying out a study as part of the residency requirements....it might be interesting to see what the program directors think of your ideas for a study....

Interesting. I've been personally thinking about maybe getting into a Public Health program --- I'm near a few universities, and perhaps can use this as a springboard to get into something -- or have some others do research in this area.

I'm glad that you've made the suggestion.

:) Good luck!
It just crossed my mind this morning when I was reading this thread. I have a bit of a background in clinical trials and they can be pretty pricey and get complicated. Unless money is no object, it might be helpful to have a sponsor or partner with someone.
You fellas have a lot of good ideas!
Go for it!!

What I'm planning on doing is using a cohort of ONE - and I hope to be able to get Cuvettes for my ProTime meter and possibly another meter that use a different method (different from the one used by the InRatio) to determine prothrombin time and INR. If I can demonstrate a reproducible difference on myself - showing an actual .4-.6 shift that only occurs on one type of meter and not on the others, then I'll look at moving forward.

I may even write up my experience and see if anyone's interested.

Thanks

FWIW I recently saw an article in the Journal of Hemostasis and Hematology that reported results for a case study (n=1). I think the study pertained to the effects of some food on INR.

Best,
pem

Back