What do I take to the Hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I keep my courage up I will have minimal evasive Mitral Valve surgery on 11/18 at NYU Medical center by Dr. Galloway. They told me to bring as little as possible of personal items with me. This is difficult. I wear glasses or contact lenses. I guess I need tooth brush and tooth paste body lotion and other stuff that I can not think of now. I also have a problem in that I need to have my pocket book with me to keep money and keys. I have no family or friends I would trust to bring these things to me, so I will have to talk to someone on my surgeons staff about where to keep these things. What I would like to know is what do I take to the hospital. There was an article here several years ago on this but I can not find it. I do remember something in the article about bras, as I am having a side incision I dont think this matters. Thank you for any help

1. Unless you see very badly with your glasses, I would leave the contacts at home. There are several reasons, but the main one is that after surgery you may do a lot of napping -- sleeping for short periods of time. This is easy to do if all you have to do is whip off your glasses. Also, it's not bad to fall asleep with your glasses on, but unless you have several-day-contacts, it's not good to sleep in your contacts.

2. When the hospital said, "Don't bring personal items," do you know if they were talking about valuables or toiletries? Unless the hospital provides all the toiletries you need (and maybe they do,) the hospital is probably talking about valuables. They are not talking about magazines, your favorite book, a set of travel-sized toiletries, your own robe or things like that.

3. Ask if there is a place you can lock away your purse. Your room might have a locker or locking cupboard.

4. I think you will be in the hospital for fewer days than me (I had open-heart surgery,) but if it helps, here are the things I used:

- My own sanitary pads and undies (remember that women often get their periods or have uterine bleeding as a reaction to surgery. I did, even though I had finished my period the day before surgery. Trust me -- you will want your own, not the ridiculous ones that hospitals buy using their time machines.)

- A "hoodie" (zip-up sweatshirt with a hood)

- My glasses case

- Mindless magazines

- My own fragrance-free liquid soap

- Deodorant

- Ponytail holders

- Booklet of 4x6 photos (it entertained the nurses)

- A stuffed llama (waaaaaay better than a dumb cough pillow)

I brought lots of stuff and if it hadn't been for my family being there,
I would have had a problem because you change rooms a couple times
from med/surg to CICU to stepdown or cardiac,and with no family to
watch, carry and move your stuff from floor to floor, it becomes a problem.

PGM-Just what type of photos were so entertaining?:D

One of the things I would want to take is my cell phone. I was in a rehab for 3 months and used it. As for glasses and contact lenses I prefer contact lenses. I see better with them than eyeglasses. If they dont give me a place to lock up my things. I will have a problem. I can not rely on my husband to go with me. He is totaly against the operation and will do anything to stop it. I have no one else. I need a safe place to keep some money for cab fare home and a place for my keys or how do I get back into my home. So I may not be able to go for surgery if they dont help me.Soap, body lotion, deodoraant is important to me. I only like certain ones and am sure the hospital does not supply that one. My hair is not long or short. My problem is very very curly hair. So washing it is out unless someone combs out all the frizz to probably my screams. I have the book The Secret that I will probably bring to read. But maybe they will give me enough pain meds to sleep.

One of the things I would want to take is my cell phone. I was in a rehab for 3 months and used it. As for glasses and contact lenses I prefer contact lenses. I see better with them than eyeglasses. If they dont give me a place to lock up my things. I will have a problem. I can not rely on my husband to go with me. He is totaly against the operation and will do anything to stop it. I have no one else. I need a safe place to keep some money for cab fare home and a place for my keys or how do I get back into my home. So I may not be able to go for surgery if they dont help me.Soap, body lotion, deodoraant is important to me. I only like certain ones and am sure the hospital does not supply that one. My hair is not long or short. My problem is very very curly hair. So washing it is out unless someone combs out all the frizz to probably my screams. I have the book The Secret that I will probably bring to read. But maybe they will give me enough pain meds to sleep.

Harmony i am sorry to read your husband isnot going with you

on Nov.18th for your surgery,maybe you can convince him to

check out this site when he is more agreeable to the fact you

need this surgery to be better for you and for him.

Again i feel your sorrow over his non acceptance to this.

i am sure you will arrange for your things to be safe in

the hospital speak with nurses there about id and wallet

housekeys etc and i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

for your hubby and your sugery,it will be fine Harmony try

to stay calm for your surgery and keep posting to let us know

how everything went.

zipper2 (DEB)

Hi zipper

Hi zipper

Actually I do not care if he comes or not. I am a very independent person and have always managed to take care of my self. I had a horrible accident 2 years ago and 3 doctors told me I would never walk again. In seven months I was walking almost as good as I used to.
He does not want me to have the surgery. He is afraiad something will happen to me. It is not fun here. Listening to him tell me why I should not go for surgery when he knows nothing about MVP with severe Regurg.Thank you for your concern

Harmony, I'm sure you are not the first case that the hospital has dealt with where they have to keep up with your things for you. I'm sure it happens all the time and they have procdures in place to deal with it. I'm sorry your husband is not supportive...he is probably just very scared and doesn't know how to show it in a more appropriate way.

I wish you the very best. You sound like you are prepared. The waiting truly is the very worst part.

Kim

Mass General has a lock up area. They locked up my clothes and purse which didn't contain very much but my glasses, some cash but not a lot, lipstick..... a few personal items. They brought it to me when I was moved to my step down room which was less than 24 hours post op. They have a place for valuables but I didn't bring any.

I thought I might want cash for massage or perhaps hair dressing....whatever. I tucked a few ten and twenty dollars pills in various places so even if one was lost', there would be a few dollars elsewhere. Your coat pocket, pants pocket, robe pocket, eyeglass case....As it turned out, I didn't need or want any cash at all.

My DH held my cellphone until I was moved and then brought it to me with charger.
You could have it locked up, Harmony. You can bring your soap, conditioner etc

Eye drops, something for your lips! Hair brush, QTips! If you have long hair something to tie it up with. A robe and house shoes! God Bless you! Have Faith in God! You will be fine! Prayers are with you!!

Latest posts

Back